A HOUSE had to be evacuated and the occupants taken to hospital following a fire in the early hours of Monday morning.

Firefighters were called to the property on Hall Street, Wombwell, at 4.30am after reports of a fire that started in the kitchen.

Three occupants had to be treated for smoke inhalation and were taken to hospital, while crews from Dearne, Cudworth and Barnsley stations used fans to clear the smoke from the building.

The firefighters spent more than two hours at the scene, with a spokesman for South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue saying the fire appears to have been accidentally started from a faulty kitchen appliance.