SHOPPING that was left on a hob instigated a fire at a house in Elsecar.

Fire crews were called to Fitzwilliam Street, Elescar on Saturday at 6.33pm after neighbours were alerted by the smoke alarm.

The fire crews from Tankersley, Dearne and Elm Lane had to gain access to the property and extinguish the fire.

The fire started in the kitchen as shopping was left on the hob and the occupant had left the premises.

A spokesman from South Yorkshire Fire and rescue said: "Residents need to ensure that items are not left on your hob at home and ensure that all appliances are switched off when you leave the room and the property."