AS many of us light up our homes this Christmas – tips have been released which can keep homes safe from fires.
The information was provided by heating experts at Heating Force who released five tips to stay safe.
The first is to avoid overcrowding electrical sockets.
Adding too many devices to one socket can cause the socket to trip and can cut power to the entire circuit.
Christmas lights add to the fire risk unless used correctly, and residents should only use extension cords where necessary.
If you have run out of sockets on one side of the room, do not run cables underneath carpet.
People walking across the cables can cause them to compress which breaks down the insulation around the wires – increasing the risk of a fire.
Thirdly, always position candles away from decorations.
Placing a candle near a Christmas tree can have disastrous consequences, and it's recommended that you let candles burn on a stable surface, and do not leave them unattended.
You can also swap candles for LED versions which give the same effect, but are much safer.
If you have a real Christmas tree, it's recommended that you do not set it up near a heat source including a fireplace or heat vent.
The heat can cause the tree to dry out – which in turn makes it extremely flammable.

Alex Ions from Heatsource said: Christmas should be a fun time of year that allows for the creation of a festive space in your home. However, it is important to ensure safety is also put at the forefront.

“It is also sensible to minimise decorations in your kitchen. To decrease the danger of a fire starting, keep decorations well away from hobs.

“When in the kitchen preparing food, you should ensure that you are focussing on what you are doing as it is easy to become distracted by conversation, particularly when you have guests round for Christmas.

“ This seems like a given but can be forgotten when you are in the grips of entertaining and eager to serve up food, but make sure you turn everything off.”