A PROJECT which helps support rough sleepers across the borough has launched an appeal for donated items ahead of winter.
The Rucksack Project in Barnsley are urging residents to donate unused items to the team to help support those sleeping rough during the colder months.
Adie Flute, who runs the Rucksack Project, is thankful of any donation, regardless of amount.
He told We Are Barnsley: “As always we’re looking for donated items to help those who are homeless and rough sleeping.
“But with Covid-19 and the closure of the drop-in we have had to make some changes this year.
“We have a slightly longer list of items, but where in previous years we’ve had a basic list and then just asked for anything beyond this that would be of use to someone in that position.
“This year we’re asking people to stick very closely to this list in order that we are able to effectively store it for the Covid-19 quarantine procedures, before then moving it on ready for being handed out and used.”
The team are looking for:
- Rucksacks (preferably large), sleeping bags and camping mats
- Small, medium or large warm and waterproof coats, jumpers and hoodies
- Small, medium or large Joggers and waterproof trousers
- Hats and gloves, and hand warmers
- New small, medium or large underwear and socks
- Individual cartons of orange juice, instant coffee, long life milk and sugar
- Chocolate bars, cereal bars and biscuits
- Packs of rice, pasta, pasta sauce packs - as well as all in one pasta and sauce packs or noodles (eg. pot pasta or pot noodles)
- Tinned vegetables, tinned meat and fish
Adie added: “Some of the items will be handed out as supplies of clothing and groceries, and other items will be used to assist with regular nightly food and drink handouts via The Barnsley Rough Sleeper Project.
“Unfortunately we have very limited space for both quarantining and general storage, so please no duvets or quilts, or clothing that falls outside of the above items or sizes.
To donate any items, message The Rucksack Project on Facebook to arrange a convenient time to drop off.