A WOMAN was taken to hospital after her bungalow caught fire.

At 10.41pm on Thursday, three firefighters from Barnsley, Cudworth and Dearne were called to the property on Lilydene Avenue.

Upon arrival they found the kitchen and living room well alight, with breathing apparatus wearers immediately sent into the building to tackle the blaze.

Following the incident one woman was taken to hospital with smoke inhalation and the bungalow was left significantly damaged. The incident had been dealt with by 0.30am on Friday morning.

The cause of the fire was clothes that had been left next to an open fire to dry.