A SET of hair straighteners caused a bedroom fire after they were left switched on and on top of a pile of clothes.

Crews from Barnsley, Cudworth and Tankersley were called to the incident on Masons Way, Kendray, at 11.49pm on Saturday.

Breathing apparatus wearers entered the house but the fire hadn’t spread beyond the room where the fire started.

The occupants were alerted by their smoke alarms but had to be treated for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters left the scene at 00.33am on Sunday and a male occupant was taken to hospital due to sustaining burns to his foot.