AS BONFIRE night quickly rolls around, the emergency services want to make it clear which service should be called in an emergency.

At this time of year, an increase in 999 and 101 calls is noted.

South Yorkshire Police and South Yorkshire Fire and Rescue have joined together to make sure the public can speak to the right service.

If your report does not require an urgent police presence, you can contact the online portal – but if you need to speak to a call handler, you can phone 101.

If your call is about a fire, or firework safety then you should ask for the fire service.

A spokesperson for South Yorkshire Police: “Our local neighbourhood teams are planning to increase patrols in certain areas.

“Most importantly, if someone’s life is at risk, or you need an emergency response, always call 999.

“Thank you for helping us to ensure that everyone has a safe and enjoyable Dark Nights period.”