THE owners of a dog who was killed as a result of fireworks has pleaded with residents to end the ‘dangerous pastime’.

 

Lisa Vickers, from Wath-upon-Dearne, was devastated after learning her beloved pet Cece had been killed by another dog, Lexi, after it became irate from the fireworks.

 

The 48-year-old, who was in hospital at the time with a kidney condition, believes Cece would still be alive if the fireworks hadn’t have spooked them.

 

She said: “We keep the dogs in a big crate to try and keep them calm during the fireworks.

 

“My family told me that when a loud firework went off, Lexi got incredibly distressed and accidentally killed our dog Cece.

 

“It was absolutely heartbreaking as we love our pets like our own family.

 

“Cece was our world and it’s even worse to know that this could have been avoided. If it wasn’t for the fireworks, she would still be with us.”

 

Now, Lisa is determined for the law to change which would allow restricted sales for fireworks across the country.

 

“I’m planning to contact my local MP about this to put restrictions in place.

 

“But it’s like fighting a never-ending battle as this issue continues to pop up every single year.

 

“I believe fireworks should only be on sale on bonfire night and that’s it. To have them all year round is dangerous for our pets.

 

“This isn’t the first time and it certainly won’t be the last and I’ll continue to fight for change.”

 

This comes after figures released by the RSPCA show that 45 per cent of dogs in the country show signs of fear when they hear fireworks and some animals can develop a phobia of fireworks.

 

A spokesperson for the charity added: “We recommend that you make sure that your dog or cat has somewhere safe to hide if they want to.

 

“They should have access to this space at all times and it could be under some furniture or in a cupboard.

 

“Your pet may come to associate this space with safety and may go there because they know no harm will come to them there.

 

“We also recommend that you make sure your cat or dog is always kept in a safe environment to minimise the risk of them escaping if they get scared because of a sudden noise. 

 

“By law, your dog should be microchipped, but we also urge cat owners to get their pet microchipped in case they become agitated and run outside during a fireworks display.

 

“Close any windows and curtains, and try and engage your pet play with them and make sure they aren’t left alone.”