SOUTH Yorkshire Police are urging anyone who feels they are being stalked to get in touch.

The force is supporting national Stalking Awareness Week 2024 led by the Suzy Lamplugh Trust which started yesterday.

Stalking and harassment is when someone repeatedly behaves in a fixated and obsessive way that makes others feel scared, distressed or threatened in an attempt to disrupt their life.

The police are committed to working with local partners in the local authorities, health, support agencies and probation services to tackle the crimes of stalking so that no one has to live their life in fear.

Force lead for Stalking, Chief Inspector Helen Lewis, said: “Stalking is a serious crime and is not something anyone should have to live with. It has profound long-term harm on victims and in the most serious cases it can tragically end in the death of victims.

“We have a dedicated team in each district of South Yorkshire Police whose role it is to explore every opportunity to ensure victims of stalking are safeguarded and perpetrators are brought to justice, this includes securing Stalking Protection Orders. So, if you or someone you know is suffering, please speak out, tell someone you trust, and report to police so we can help you.”

Although women are more likely to experience stalking than men, anyone can be a victim of stalking. One in 10 men will also experience stalking in their lifetime according to figures from the Home Office.

Stalking doesn’t just happen in person; it can take place online too. Reports of cyber stalking have increased in recent years with the prevalence of online chat rooms, dating and gaming sites and social media.

Report stalking and access support

Stalking is a serious criminal offence. The stalker will have an obsession with the person they're targeting. Perpetrators of stalking are more likely to be men and known to the victim, but a stalker could be anyone.

This could be an ex-partner, a person you were friends with, or it might be a stranger. If it's someone you know, or knew, it doesn't mean that it's your fault.

If you are concerned that you are at risk, please report to police so we can help. You can also report stalking even if you are not the victim – if you have information about someone you know who is carrying out stalking or being stalked, contact police on 101 or share information anonymously via CrimeStoppers. In an emergency, always call 999.

Not everyone feels comfortable reporting directly to police, so there are a range of other support services available, find out more:

Find out more about stalking and harassment: