HEALTH bosses in Barnsley have urged residents across the borough to remain wary of the dangers posed by button batteries.

They are in a number of items such as children’s toys and hearing aids - and many kids can mistake the battery for a sweet, and older people with confusion or poor vision can mistake the battery for a pill.

If swallowed, they react with saliva to create caustic soda - the chemical used to unblock drains - and will cause burns to your throat.

If pushed into ears or up the nose then serious injuries can occur - and symptoms such as internal bleeding or vomiting blood can take place up to 28 days after a battery is swallowed.

Coun Jim Andrews, cabinet spokesperson for public health, said: “Most homes will have items that use button batteries, so it’s important that people understand the health risks of swallowing them.

“We are urging people to be alert when children are playing with battery-operated toys and make sure any batteries are stored in a safe place, out of children’s reach.

“If people use batteries for hearing aids, they should be kept in a safe place away from medication.”

Symptoms aren’t always obvious - your child may be coughing, gagging, or pointing to their throat or tummy.

Don’t let your child eat or drink, and don’t make them be sick.

If you think they have swallowed a button battery, take them straight to A and E or call 999 - take the battery packaging or toy if you are able to so staff can identify the battery.