Barnsley vet issues adder bite warning

Friday April 7 2017

Newmillerdam Newmillerdam

A BARNSLEY vet has issued a warning to dog walkers after reported snake bites at Newmillerdam - which can lead to death if left untreated.

The Pet Vet on Wakefield Road says there have been six known adder attacks on dogs at the popular country park in the last two weeks.

A spokeswoman said: "Adders are currently coming out of hibernation and are their most aggressive. They are commonly found in rocky hillsides, woodland edges, dry sandy heaths, sand dunes and moorlands.

"Adders will bite if disturbed or stood on and tend to bite the face or legs. If your dog is bitten then the bite will be extremely painful and will swell, other symptoms include pale gums, bruises, drooling, vomiting, diarrhoea, restlessness and drowsiness.

"If your dog is bitten do not allow it to walk back to the car, it should be carried as this reduces the venom spreading through the body and get them to the nearest open veterinary surgery.

"If left untreated a bite can lead to blood clotting problems, tremors and/or seizures and can lead to death."

Reply Posted by karen on Friday April 7 2017 at 14:47
wow I go there a lot with my dogs

Reply Posted by Julie white on Friday April 7 2017 at 14:51
My daughter rides her horse regular round there .any idea what effects a bite would have on a horse there a little too heavy to carry lol.

Reply Posted by Kay riley on Saturday April 8 2017 at 20:02
Thank you very much for this information ,I will keep away from newmilladam for a while ,how long before they are not so aggressive ,as I walk there once a week usually

Reply Posted by M stones on Sunday April 9 2017 at 17:09
My granddaughters dog was bit in there garden nr lock park last year

Reply Posted by trevor mayne on Tuesday April 18 2017 at 16:21
I'm Barnsley Council's wildlife officer - I think this report should be put in context: I've spoken to my counterpart in Wakefield Council and he thinks they've only EVER had one confirmed report of an adder in the borough and that wasn't at Newmillerdam. Similarly, here in Barnsley, we don't think we have any definite records of an adder anywhere at any time. I have contacted the vet's to discuss this with them but they have not yet returned my call. So I think people should be sceptical about the report.

Reply Posted by trevor mayne on Thursday April 20 2017 at 14:39
managed to speak to the vet's now and they believe one dog was bitten which had a major reaction to the bite - they are going to try to provide me with details of other alleged incidents