Father loses landmark term-time holiday appeal

Thursday April 6 2017

PARENTS who take their children out of school without permission to go on holiday can be prosecuted after a father lost a landmark legal battle over taking his daughter to Disney World during term-time.

Jon Platt was prosecuted by Isle of Wight Council after he refused to pay a £120 fine for taking his daughter on a seven-day family trip to Florida in April 2015 without the school's permission.

But local magistrates found there was no case to answer, so the local authority took the case to the High Court in London.

Two senior judges then upheld the magistrates’ decision and declared that Mr Platt was not acting unlawfully because his daughter had a good overall attendance record of over 92 per cent.

But Isle of Wight council appealed to the Supreme Court, the highest court in the land.

And today, Supreme Court judges said Mr Platt had shown a “blatant disregard of school rules” and that his approach had been a “slap in the face” to parents who play by the rules.

It means that parents who take their children out of school to go on holiday - even if their child has regular attendance - can be prosecuted if they do not receive permission from the head teacher.

Reply Posted by Jeff on Thursday April 6 2017 at 11:06
Im sure the 120 he has to pay is far cheaper than the amount he saved by going through school term. The difference between term prices and school holiday prices is a joke. Its about time the government stepped in and capped the holiday prices instead of punishing familys that cant afford to take holidays out of term time

Reply Posted by rjw on Thursday April 6 2017 at 11:10
the only time that holiday companies make money is in the holidays, most of he year they are running at a loss

Reply Posted by rjw on Thursday April 6 2017 at 11:11
does it matter anyway post brexit we wont be able to afford any of them anyway. a 3 grand holiday last year is now 7 grand

Reply Posted by monk on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:00
funny that , 310 pound caravan in ingoldmells last year 320 this year ,damn that brexit.

Reply Posted by rjw` on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:03
exactly farge and his ******** have priced european travel out of the working mans grasp

Reply Posted by Raymondo on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:42
So holiday companies will put their prices up post brexit? If it's going to be as bad as is believed by some then simple economics would dictate that the prices will go down based on supply and demand, if demand drops due to us all being skint then supply increases.

I wonder what will happen in spain if the hoardes of british don't turn up in 2 years? Will they be standing there saying I told you so?

Reply Posted by RJW on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:46
unfortunately holiday companies pay fir accommodation in euros with the pound been worthless its costs more. likewise with fuel in dollars

Reply Posted by s on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:04
Rjw sorry you are wrong there my holiday as cost me less this year than I have paid in previous year and we are going same dates.

Reply Posted by rjw on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:35
im pleased for you but i can assure you that that sis the expection/

Reply Posted by Davieboy on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:17
One wonders if the teachers went on strike for one day (which I agree they a
have a right to do this) the parents would be able to fine the school £60. I some how don't think so. If the child has got 100% attendance record and then has a week off for holiday, they would still be above the 92% legal limit.

Reply Posted by Raymondo on Thursday April 6 2017 at 13:45

School is important but if you are telling me that taking a 6-year-old out of school for 2 weeks to go on holidau is going to affect her for the rest of her life I'll call you a liar.

Besides which life experience is more important in my eyes than preparing for worthless SATS, kids are put under too much pressure to be hitting targets at a young age, let them be kids and enjoy life.

Reply Posted by Jimbob on Friday April 7 2017 at 11:35
I am not surprised at the state of some of the cretins coming of age these days with comments like this. Education is not important but holidays are? Welcome to a future of unemployable thicko's leeching benefits thanks to a proper lack of education. But never mind, at least they can walk around in fake tan all day pushing prams with 5 kids in from 5 different dads!

Reply Posted by Raymondo on Friday April 7 2017 at 13:44
I think you need to go back to school yourself Jimbob and learn to read.

Where in my response above does it say that education is not important?

I said I will take my kid out of school to go on holiday if I want to, I'm not going to be dictated to by this nanny state. She learns far more outside the classroom than inside it where she is basically taught in order to tick a box or meet criteria.

Oh and by the way, the plural of thicko is thickos

Reply Posted by Jimbob on Friday April 7 2017 at 14:28
I also could resort to pointing out grammar and spelling mistakes but that would be pointless and a waste of time. However I will point out "Regardless of this ruling i'll be taking my kid out of school if it means getting a cheaper holiday in the year." which indicates that a holiday that costs less is indeed more important to you than your own child's education.

Reply Posted by Raymondo on Friday April 7 2017 at 15:24
No it doesn't you're making that up.

I wouldn't worry too much about my kid she will be fine trust me.

I remember taking a week off at high school to go on a holiday, in the long run, it didn't affect me getting the GCSEs. I also used to wag uni off every so often if I had a hangover but still managed to get land my degree. I don't sit in my job now wondering what would have been if I'd attended those missed classes.

You worry about your own business let me worry about mine.

Go ahead and point out my grammar and spelling mistakes if you will.

Reply Posted by Andy swift on Friday April 7 2017 at 11:48
I went to barnsley court about 6 year ago for same thing it went t a trial council produced a barrister against me my fine was qaushed nothing t pay not even court costs bt the judge still said i was guilty bt yet no fine no costs just so i cud not brag n say i got away with it as legally i was guilty