Police want opinions on Barnsley crime

Friday February 10 2017

Police will speak to locals about crime in Barnsley Police will speak to locals about crime in Barnsley

POLICE want to hear from local people about what type of crime officers need to crack down on in Barnsley.

As part of Operation Duxford - an operation to protect vulnerable people, engage with communities and tackle crime - residents will see increased police presence in Barnsley next Wednesday (February 15).

Officers and PCSOs will be in the town centre, Kendray and Goldthorpe, talking to people and listening to any concerns they have.

Chief Inspector Mark James, said: “Officers will be in Barnsley Interchange and the town centre, with a number of crime prevention stalls, to offer advice and to listen to any concerns people may have.

“We are aware that there has been issues of anti-social behaviour in and around the interchange and I want both residents and local business owners to know that we’ve listened to those concerns and have been acting on them."

What issues do you think the police need to focus on? Leave your comments below.

Reply Posted by worker on Friday February 10 2017 at 16:21
Dear god. Police wanting public to tell them what crime to crack down on. Why are they so stupid or just useless. Do they not see whats going on in the town centre. South Yorkshire police at their most imcompetent best.

Reply Posted by worker on Friday February 10 2017 at 16:22
Oh i forget to add. I thought they were paid to tackle ALL crime.

Reply Posted by HaroldTheBarrel on Friday February 10 2017 at 16:51
In response to some negative, uninformed comments, I think the aim of this process is to ask people where they would like to see the police's limited resources prioritised. Like most things under a capitalist government, resources are tight (unless they need to help America in a war or renovate palaces for an outdated fairy tale facade).
Personally, I would like to see them stop wasting resources on cannabis arrests. There's far more crime and violence from alcohol which is legal. The only crime cannabis user can be bothered to commit is in actually obtaining it. It's crazy. I do think using drugs (including drinking) in public places, especially where families are out shopping is a problem. I know lots of people don't feel safe in town these days and that is sad because most Barnsley folk are great, friendly people.

Reply Posted by Lola on Friday February 10 2017 at 18:13
One persons opinion will not be the same as someone else's I just want to feel safe at any time of the day and night, it is not unusual to be made to feel uncomfortable because of arguing and confrontations over drugs and other issues in the middle of town on a daily basis. It really does need sorting out.

Reply Posted by Dean Wogan on Friday February 10 2017 at 19:32
Illegal off road motorbikes in the carlton area. Road legal motorbikes using the footpath from Royston Lane to athersley North as a short cut.

Reply Posted by John P on Friday February 10 2017 at 22:55
Well,at least this proves we do not need a police and crime commissioner .
Obvious he has no priorities and indeed no knowledge of policing in South Yorkshire.
Feel sorry for officers on beat with this "leadership".

Reply Posted by The truth on Saturday February 11 2017 at 05:42
Criminals have never had it so good...the police may as well be blindfolded - As much use as a glass cricket bat...couldn't catch a cold, never mind a criminal.

Reply Posted by Ben wilson on Saturday February 11 2017 at 07:55
As a prolific offender/rehabilitated ex con i believe the first thing on syp's list should be sex crimes, and i believe that the sentences given to these offenders not only mock the victims but the system also, i was given 32 month for abh & burglery, yet i see people that have done unspeakable life changing things get only 12 months. Its all wrong. Bring back capital punishment for murder and sex crimes and lets save our tax money for more important matters.

Reply Posted by Slw on Saturday February 11 2017 at 10:20
I think police need to show some presence around the Halifax/yorkshire bank sites near joseph brammers theres always gangs of young men hanging around this area. At christmas whilst waiting for my husband to pick me up one lad with a can of lager in hand walked passed me way too close, possibly so i would step back whilst another was behind me too close, seemed like they were after my bag.

Reply Posted by Rspb on Saturday February 11 2017 at 13:50
You could be right slw about what nearly happened to you, where a couple of men could have been after your bag. They could have been genuinely drunk and getting too close, or jumping on the bandwagon in order to steal purses etc.

Advice for the police on what people think are priorities should be to police the public areas where people congregate when they are drunk so other people don't feel afraid of getting robbed. I don't think there is much street robbery like this though, is there, but anyway people shouldn't feel threatened...A higher police presence would be good in the town centre at night time. I have to say I never feel threatened during the day time by the nonsense that goes on so this wouldn't be top of my list.

Reply Posted by P on Saturday February 11 2017 at 16:42
Druggies supply houses, every one of them!

Reply Posted by Pathetic on Saturday February 11 2017 at 17:39
The sad 'life' of an internet troll.You have to pity them.

Reply Posted by Mr reality on Saturday February 11 2017 at 18:23
What is the point in upping the police presence for one day what really is needed are full time coppers on the beat not PCSO most of the PCSO officers I've seen are too fat to even be able to run after any criminal they have enough on there hands with there greggs steak beak

Reply Posted by julie green on Saturday February 11 2017 at 21:01
peole with beer and smell of drugs everytime I go to town its a disgrace and fithly also people spitting should be fined its worst than rubbish germs makes me ashamed now don't really shop here go to nice shopping places

Reply Posted by Paul on Saturday February 11 2017 at 23:50
The bud station is rediculous swearing around children no respect at all it's like a youth club not a bus station that'd no 1 no 2 people hanging around main doors smoking weed and selling drugs n no police to be seen no 3 old people being intimidated no 4 why is there no security in operation to crack down on these situations no 5 who's behind the CCTV operation of the bus station because obviously there not looking in the right places

Reply Posted by Paul on Saturday February 11 2017 at 23:59
Field bikes are not such a problem Aslong as there in wooded areas n not using public footpaths show respect and respect will be earned Yorkshire bank more like let's hook up and take some smack everyone sees the uses sat on the wall or on the circle just outside begging stealing language it's rediculous there should be two sets of police patrolling the areas every half hour and two sets of pcos to cover the top end of town alambrah towards credit union etc come on you should know were to cover n what areas if it was me 1 warning don't listen first time instant ban for 6 months next warning a year so on so on

Reply Posted by Paul on Sunday February 12 2017 at 00:08
Behind jobcenter in car park the bloke who takes payments for card to b parked allows alchos n druggies to use it as a doss house police will want to check there also further dwn in other car park sights n alchos blocking the steps getting ****** n whatever else they are doing suppose to b putting a new face on Barnsley and end up with cranks ******* it up for everyone else

Reply Posted by anon on Sunday February 12 2017 at 01:18
Advice on crime?!? It's ******* rife! What more advice do you need?

Reply Posted by scatt on Sunday February 12 2017 at 09:00
Its flourishing

Reply Posted by Baz on Sunday February 12 2017 at 09:01
Try actually patrolling and actively deterring crime instead of waiting for it to happen then coming up with reasons why they can't do anything

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday February 12 2017 at 13:00
A poster on WAB 'jokes' about taking pictures up women's skirts while in the real world a woman has been filmed by a pervert in a store changing room.
A woman posts about men who might or might not have been drunk getting too close to her and she feared she was going to have her purse snatched while WAB reports of a woman getting her purse stolen while in a charity shop.
Kids under the age of 12 are found unaccompanied in town on a school day.
A lot of women say they don't feel safe walking through the town in broad daylight let alone in the dark because of people who are not fully in control of themselves through drink and drugs.
Some streets in this small town are 'no go' areas for most people, but most of all for women and the elderly.
The police need to patrol, be a presence and restore confidence.

Reply Posted by A sensible woman on Sunday February 12 2017 at 13:31
Anon, this is Barnsley not Beirut, stop getting hysterical! There are no no-go areas in Barnsley unless you're a bit of a wuss.

Reply Posted by Anon on Monday February 13 2017 at 17:15
To - a sensible woman.

I've had to check with my grandkids what ' a bit of a wuss' means and it's as I thought.
well, I am a bit of a wuss then because I am frightened of getting knocked over etc as I am elderly, I am vulnerable because I am a bit frail but I do need to go out, you try to keep independent but it would be nice to do that without worrying about people you come across in the streets you have lived in for 60 years.
People like me get scared to go out, I'm not yet but it wouldn't take much.
There are people, often very young, who are probably kind on there own, but when they are drunk or on drugs and in a group they can be very intimidating.
If you are young and fit there should be nowhere that's a no go area but as you get older you do get vulnerable.

Reply Posted by Anne on Sunday February 12 2017 at 13:52
I think the police can only do their best with limited resources and perhaps that just means being more of a presence so people might feel more safe ( even if they are not more safe in fact.)
The police can't go around arresting people for being drunk, drugged etc as the judiciary system is f.cked, the prisons are full & are a university for petty crims to make connections, get brutalised and experience an even wider variety of drugs than they were used to.
The way things work now, people who don't have much just want to turn on people less fortunate (addicts, homeless, refugees) and want them...well, eliminated on the whole.
I wish we lived in a society where the real criminals - the big scale tax dodgers, the UK arms dealers to Saudi, the international drugs barons, the oil thiefs, the palm oil vultures, the blood diamond mine owners, the exploiters of little kids to make our clothes to earn barely enough money to even exist - were targeted, let alone brought to justice.
It's a very sad world.

Reply Posted by Robdought on Sunday February 12 2017 at 14:43
Simple South Yorkshire Police not fit for purpose. The public don't trust them let alone see them on the streets.

Reply Posted by Tim O'Tei on Sunday February 12 2017 at 16:11
SYP need to focus on the fact that they are historically mistrusted by people in South Yorkshire and people with long memories don't feel that the corruption within the force has ever been fully resolved.

Reply Posted by On Deaf Ears on Monday February 13 2017 at 09:56
Gatherings of drunk adults (Town End Dodworth Rd in mind) making residents uncomfortable and fearful in their own homes.
Graffiti all over (which serves to attract such deviance it seems - 'Fame' and 'Fat Daz' all over town - on people's homes, walls and fences). A bit of a presence wouldn't go amiss (although they always say a SNT officer has been in whatever area mentioned)

Reply Posted by rjw on Monday February 13 2017 at 12:52
when toy find a canabis farm in one of your properties snd the local bobby tells you you're over reacting when you trying to evict the tenant

Reply Posted by M Eastwood on Wednesday February 15 2017 at 11:24
AS a resident of Penistone I do not think we are recieving our fare share of policing.Market days especialy awful not a sight even of PCSO.

Reply Posted by mick on Wednesday February 15 2017 at 21:19
We have to catch the crooks ourselves now we know why. The coppers didn't know we was paying them to catch crooks not just fine people for dropping a bit of litter. Its for one day there's 365 in a yr what are they going to do sit and harrass the youths or do the famous one drive round to make it look like we're doing something cos it's not catchin crooks as crime is still rising. Must be quality of the cops pmsl

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Friday February 17 2017 at 15:54
I dont bloo-y well believe it !!!! , what the hell has happened to the police force ?
Surely there are very highly paid people to manage all crime issues , Whats the point of if we are doing the job for them !!!. THE LUNATICS REALLY HAVE TAKEN OVER THE ASYLUM it appears

Reply Posted by Who? on Monday February 20 2017 at 13:53
Who is asking us to do the police's job for them? People are being asked what crime bothers them most.
I would agree that all crime bothers me a lot but crimes against elderly bothers me most.
It really doesn't matter though, when sentencing is so light even when people are caught.

Reply Posted by Marcus Watson on Sunday February 19 2017 at 14:54
Don't ask me why but I was up and looked out of my bedroom window at 4am 18/02/2017 to see a lovely young man trying the door handles of the commercial vehicles, including my own, parked on Norfolk Close {he was texting each time he tried a vehicle possibly to let others know that he'd found an open one or not}, Monk Bretton. I put all the downstairs lights on and opened the back door to let the cat out, not saying this disturbed the person and it's a difficult one for the police to be everywhere at all times but I think that this is an organised yet opportunistic crime which needs attention.

Reply Posted by Sherlock Holmes on Sunday February 19 2017 at 17:43
Did you ring the police at all about this, or.... At 4am you might have got a quick response.

Reply Posted by Steve on Monday February 20 2017 at 08:59
Every week without exception when opening the Chronicle at least one vehicle has been set on fire, let's catch a few of these people and give them 5 years.

Reply Posted by ? on Monday February 20 2017 at 13:48
Anybody who is setting fire to vehicles is committing a crime and should be caught but they wouldn't be given 5 years, would they?

Reply Posted by steve on Thursday February 23 2017 at 13:13
They would get 5 years if it was up to me, at least they wouldn't be doing repeat offences for 5 years.