Mum starts Crowdfunding page for Wentworth Castle Gardens

Monday February 6 2017

The gardens will close in the spring The gardens will close in the spring

A LOCAL mum has started a Crowdfunding campaign to keep Wentworth Castle Gardens open to the public.

Emma Robinson started the page after learning of the "dreadful loss" of the iconic tourist attraction.

The Heritage Trust behind the gardens announced last week that it has not been able to make enough money to cover the running costs and management of the site - despite a £3.74 million restoration of the garden's Victorian conservatory back in 2013.

Emma said: "This is a dreadful loss of a beautiful place.

"I, and my children and many people in Barnsley and surrounding areas take great pleasure from visiting these stunning gardens.

"Barnsley will really lose somewhere special if they close and I'm not willing to let that happen without a fight.

"I'm sure with some changes and a bit of clever thinking the gardens could be making much more money, they could be a goldmine for a canny investor."

To donate, click here.

Reply Posted by Lisa on Monday February 6 2017 at 15:49
I think if prices were lowered it might be more affordable to familys and more visit

Reply Posted by jon barnsley resident on Monday February 6 2017 at 17:27
Wake up folks, Whats happened to all the lottery money which was awarded to Wentworth,

Reply Posted by Mystery on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 11:25
They renovated the Victorian conservatory which is what the money was awarded for.

Reply Posted by Matt on Monday February 6 2017 at 20:59
Theres a lack of quality places to visit in Barnsley, real shame if this happens. Wentworth castle could be a major success but needs to think of better ways of getting the the cash in... bigger and better restaurant, free play ground, more events, better activities, just needs someone with a half decent business brain... anyone in doubt should go and have a look what's going on at Cannon Hall... ££££ !

Reply Posted by rjw on Tuesday February 7 2017 at 08:12
Wentworth received EU funding as well.

I afraid that this will be the first of many casualties that we see in post brexit uk. You wont see mant things in the south east close but by christ can we get ready

Reply Posted by The man with no face on Tuesday February 7 2017 at 13:08
You must live in a different Barnsley to me then I think it has some really nice places to visit, I do agree that we need some better free play grounds and things for kids and teenagers to keep them of the street corners a bit and try to keep them safe and out of trubble

Reply Posted by The man with no face on Tuesday February 7 2017 at 13:09
That was in reply to Matt by the way

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilda on Tuesday February 7 2017 at 16:12
I'm not sure that people putting their hands in their pockets for a few quid will solve the problem. The only solution is a solid business plan what will attract people in enough numbers to keep the site viable.

Cannon hall farm is a prime example, offering a product that people want. Wentworth Castle needs to discover a new market and plug into it. Open air theatre, events, music and picnics, or whatever.

Perhaps that chap who organised the Tour de Yorkshire could come up with something?

Reply Posted by Josef Fritzl on Tuesday February 7 2017 at 17:33
I agree. Perhaps a museum of cellars through the ages would make a good tourist attraction

Reply Posted by dean on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 11:07
Donating to a business that received £3.74 Million less than 4 year ago doesn't sit well with me...