MPs vote on Brexit

Friday February 3 2017

THREE Barnsley MPs voted in favour of triggering article 50 in Wednesday's Brexit vote - but one abstained.

MP Angela Smith for Penistone and Stocksbridge said that she had been unable to vote after being called away from Parliament due to family reasons.

Barnsley Central MP Dan Jarvis, Barnsley East's Michael Dugher and Wentworth and Dearne's John Healey all voted to trigger article 50.

Angela Smith's statement to the Barnsley Chronicle can be read here

Reply Posted by John P on Friday February 3 2017 at 10:30
At least she did not have an Abbot head ache!

Reply Posted by Bradley Skelley on Friday February 3 2017 at 12:05
Bet she would be voting if it was to put a travellers camp or build a waste recycling plant in penistone!..

Reply Posted by Neil on Friday February 3 2017 at 17:08
In a statement to the Chronicle Ms Smith said: "Parliament has now voted for Brexit negotiations to start. Unfortunately for personal, family reasons I had to be elsewhere when that vote took place, however, I have always been clear after the British people made their historic decision it would have been wrong for Parliament to obstruct it.

"I am also sure, however, that the British people did not vote to make themselves poorer when they made their decision on how to vote in that referendum. I have therefore put my name to a number of amendments, which if passed will keep our membership of the single market on the table as far as the deal with the EU for withdrawal is concerned.

Ok reading between the lines this says to me she did not have the guts to vote agaist the will of the people so she has put her name to ammendments in the hope to delay or cancel brexit by the backdoor.

She is not my MP but if she was I would be writing a letter of complaint and voting for the most likely candidate to beat her in the next election

Reply Posted by Jodie on Friday February 3 2017 at 19:32
Will definitely not vote for her again.

Reply Posted by Not Steve on Saturday February 4 2017 at 08:57
the Boundary Commission for England have announced proposals that will reduce the number of MPs across the country
the Penistone and Stocksbridge seat, currently held by Labour MP Angela Smith, is to be scrapped in favour of combined new constituency largely made up wards that are part of the Sheffield Hallam constituency held by Liberal Democrat Nick Clegg.She knows she is out of a job soon so she not need your vote anymore

Reply Posted by Roy Depledge on Saturday February 4 2017 at 10:44
Angela Smith says she is SURE people did not vote to make themselves poorer. Well, Ms Smith, you do not speak for me. I voted leave, to enable us to control immigration, make our own laws, and make parliament and our courts supreme, and if this makes me poorer, so be it. I think it will be worth it.

Reply Posted by Roy Cropper on Sunday February 5 2017 at 19:44
Roy Depledge, you are a fool.
You were a fool to vote leave thinking it was a fast track to 'control' immigration and you are a fool to champion the cause of being 'poorer' while expecting any MP to defend your right to be poorer.
I expect you think EU money is going into the NHS too....

Reply Posted by rjw on Monday February 6 2017 at 08:07
well said Roy Crooper
Roy Depledge has voted using a shortsighted view, hes voted for High unemployment . He voted to strangle the north on england but he doesn't care because it will get rid of them darkies,

Interesting that mosr odf the brexitser who wanted to us to make our own aws were against out parliament voting on in. It appears that they don't want democracy at all.

Reply Posted by AHR on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 13:44
And Roy how can they put all that money into the NHS when we haven't even left yet, we are still paying that money into the European union's coffers.

Reply Posted by Roy Cropper on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 19:01
I agree with your points, rj, despite and possibly because of your very unique spelling style.You are spot on with your judgement that people have voted for the sovereignty of our own parliament but now don't like the way our parliament is making decisions.

Reply Posted by Roy Cropper on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 19:09
AHR
I think the Brexit people who used the Money into the NHS as a campaigning point have acknowledged it was an 'alternative truth.'
I don't see any calls to find other funding to pay into our cash starved NHS, from Trident for example.

Reply Posted by ian on Saturday February 4 2017 at 12:34
move over labour we have had enough

Reply Posted by Bobby brown on Sunday February 5 2017 at 18:33
Steve should you be using your phone in you secure unit? You need education on whats funny and what just seems like childish drivel because you dont seem to know the distinction. Let me know if you need help understanding any of this with it containing words that have more than 2 syllables

Reply Posted by Rjw on Tuesday February 7 2017 at 12:14
So three of our mps have just voted away thousands. Of jobs in this area in favour. Of supportibg the leafy London. Suburbs

They are disgrace and should be made to see what it's like to live without a job. Not simply. Comdem thousands more to the dole line

Reply Posted by AHR on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 13:46
Cor blimey I can tell that your glass is always half empty.

Reply Posted by Clueless on Wednesday February 8 2017 at 19:20
I am a bit clueless about this, what does it mean 'triggering article 50', does it mean to leave the EU, to start the process to leave the EU? did 3 Barnsley MP s vote to do that and isn't it what the Labour Party leader asked them all to do...and it's what their constituents voted for ( to leave the EU.)
If so why are people attacking Jeremy Corbyn the labour leader?