Woman issues cold-caller warning

Friday January 20 2017

The man claimed to be from MoneySavingExpert.com The man claimed to be from MoneySavingExpert.com

A LOCAL woman has issued a warning after being targeted by a cold-caller falsely claiming to be from a well known money saving site.

Tracy Miller was targeted at her home on in Kendray by the man, who said he was a representative from MoneySavingExpert.com (MSE).

Tracey says the man attempted to get her to switch from her gas and electricity provider to a new company - claiming she could save hundreds of pounds by doing so.

However, Tracey soon became suspicious when the prices offered were higher than her current rates.

She said: “I happened to see on his tablet that the company he was promoting was in fact dearer than my current provider.

“When I questioned him on it, he said “you’re not supposed to see that”, and then attempted to carry on with his effort.

“To my knowledge MSE do not send cold-callers out.”

A spokesperson from Money Saving Expert said: “We are aware of a number of instances in which Money Expert cold-callers have knocked on doors in an attempt to flog various energy products and in some cases this has led to confusion that MSE is involved.

“This is not the case. MSE is a consumer help website, here to fight your corner. We don’t in any way, shape or form take part in or frankly even endorse the practice of cold calling.”

Reply Posted by Sandra Robinson on Friday January 20 2017 at 13:10
A young man came to my house the other day and said exactly the same thing, but I stood at the door and told him my husband deals with all the energy bills and he was not available.

Reply Posted by Sue on Friday January 20 2017 at 13:18
someone called at my home last night said he was something to with cheaper energy and to save us money I just told him we sort all that out ourselves. He then asked what company we was with and what tariff we was on then he said we was probably ok just thank you for talking to me and went ...

Reply Posted by Shelley on Friday January 20 2017 at 13:20
Same happened in honeywell to me so looks like he is doing the rounds tried telling me I was on economy 7 . No am not

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilda on Friday January 20 2017 at 13:38
Never talk to cold callers, just say no and close the door. Easy.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Friday January 20 2017 at 17:20
Just do what I do and slam the door in the faces

Reply Posted by Sarah Cochrane on Friday January 20 2017 at 20:04
Someone called at my house last night claiming to he could get me cheaper gas and electricity I also told him I do it all myself and if I am being over charged I'll ring my supplier myself.

Reply Posted by Mr Reality Check on Friday January 20 2017 at 21:00
The only people I open my door to are the ones I am expecting.
And if anyone ever phones me, i advise them of how google works and if I require anything I usually go there first.
Surprisingly I have never won the Nigerian Lottery!

Reply Posted by Tony on Sunday January 22 2017 at 14:56
And neither has anyone else.

Reply Posted by Be aware on Tuesday January 24 2017 at 15:00
We had someone phone us that said they were from BT and we would have free line rental for three months. She then went on to try to get our bank details crafty cow. BE AWARE!!

Reply Posted by julie on Wednesday January 25 2017 at 07:41
I get chance phone calls from someone saying Theither front sky TV saying that they owe me money had these calls a few times when they ask for bank details I say that I don't have any they put the phone down