UPDATED: Tip permit scheme to come in next week

Friday January 6 2017

Barnsley Council has brought in the scheme which will start on Monday January 9 Barnsley Council has brought in the scheme which will start on Monday January 9

A 'Barnsley residents only' permit scheme will be introduced for the town's tips next week.

From Monday January 9, only residents of Barnsley will be able to use the borough's four dumpits.

The council says it has introduced the scheme as the tips have seen an increase in people using them over the last two to three years - coinciding with neighbouring authorities reducing the opening hours of their sites.

Now, locals will be issued with a car window sticker by site staff when they show a valid vehicle registration document (V5) showing registration in the Barnsley metropolitan borough area.

You won't have to take photographic ID with you.

For any vehicle where the driver is not the owner (e.g. company car, mobility vehicle), residents will need to produce relevant vehicle documentation proving vehicle use and their residential address.

The scheme will be phased in over the next three months, and will become mandatory from Monday March 6.

Locals will be able to acquire a permit sticker on their first visit and will be required to display it in their windscreen on future visits.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:26
Get ready for fly tippers, every back lane in Barnsley is going to get bombarded

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:50
Another excuse for lazy, filthy people to dump their rubbish and blame somebody else, Mr C!
Anybody with any decency will work with this system.

Reply Posted by dumpit on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:27
The council as seen an increase in people using the tips over the last 3 years. Are they so stupid they dont understand why?.
This was around the time they change all the bin recycling rota. We are still waiting for our bins and i dare say others are too. They tried to impliment an idea before putting things in place. Thats why all grey bins are chokka and people have to use the tips ya brain cell amongst all top brass.
Labour council loonies in charge of the assylum springs to mind.

Reply Posted by Dee on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:27
I drive my car but its in my husbands name I'm a named driver on insurance I have a paper driving license which is valid and I don't have a passport... I pay full council tax but will not be able to use the recycling centre it's disgusting.

Reply Posted by caroline on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 18:01
i think the sticker is for the car

Reply Posted by Steven James (real one) on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:30
I think it's a good idea.... the people from Sheffield won't be able to take advantage of us any more...

Reply Posted by Appalled on Thursday January 5 2017 at 07:13
Get real!

Reply Posted by sdys15453 on Saturday January 7 2017 at 14:01
Of course. Because all those Sheffield people are happily driving 15 miles to a Barnsley tip, costing good money in petrol, just to leave a bag of grass cuttings. :-/

Reply Posted by Tidy on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:36
Fly tippers! Lazy arses you mean who are too lazy to sort out their rubbish. Plus lazy pigs too lazy to take their rubbish home. Zero tolerance is what is needed fine the dirty scum.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:36
I drive a small car, my brother drives a much bigger car. When I need to go to the tip with a lot of rubbish we use his car. Because he lives in Rotherham I won't be able to do this anymore.

Welcome to Barnsley. Fly tipping capital of Yorkshire courtesy of the council's stupid ideas

Reply Posted by Mr C on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:40
Barnsley council are deluded buffoons, we should all go throw our rubbish it their gardens, stupid nincompoops

Reply Posted by Joanne on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:42
Ours is a company car so we don't have the V5 what can we bring instead?

Reply Posted by ian on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:45
will the sticker for the car window be a bmbc 1 or a picture of a dump?

Reply Posted by Jessica on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:47
I am a Barnsley resident but I don't own a car. The only people that could help me take stuff to the dump are my dad and my boyfriend neither of whom are Barnsley residents. Does this mean I will no longer be able to use them?

Reply Posted by ian on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:48
its a good idea the people fly tipping will be those who dont have a driving license and a v5 for the car they are driving.

Reply Posted by Catherine Kaye on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 18:07
What if I don't have photo I'd? Paper licence and no passport?? I do have council tax bills though!!

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:31
Catherine, I understood you could get a permit by producing your V5- do you have one of those? As for the rest, if it is a frequent inconvenience to not have a photo licence, why not just get one?

Reply Posted by sdys15453 on Saturday January 7 2017 at 14:25
I have always taken my photo card driving licence when I go to the tip, in case they ask for proof I'm a Barnsley resident, but suddenly this ID isn't enough any more? My council tax bill isn't enough proof either. A passport - if I had one - wouldn't be enough any more. But a V5 document, which could take up to a month to get back from the DVLA when you get a new car, or you don't get at all when you're using a hire car or courtesy car while yours is being repaired, is suddenly the only ID you'll need?

Reply Posted by Dave on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 18:21
Windscreen sticker will be easy to transfer from car to car. Would be better if council put a dent in car bonnet on first visit

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:55
Good thinking Dave, but my car's already got a dent in the bonnet....

Reply Posted by Andrew Battye on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 18:42
What documentation do you need as regards to a mobility vehicle ? I have no log book insurance or tax paperwork? Thanks

Reply Posted by brian on Thursday January 5 2017 at 18:31
My wife has a motability vehicle and i am the named/nominated driver. RSAM have always provided an insurance certificate by law and motability provide documents with names of mobility customer on.Identity can be difficult for non photocard licence holders i understand that.i have a photocard licence.

Reply Posted by brian on Thursday January 5 2017 at 18:31

Reply Posted by Linda Noble on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 18:51
From some of the valid questions and comments below BMBC haven't thought this through ... And I agree that fly tipping will increase

Reply Posted by Mrs k on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 18:54
I agree with other comments this will only lead to fly tipping, does it really matter who uses recycling centre as long as items are dumped legally! I'm sure other dumpits get stuff dumped from other areas. And how much is all this going to cost to enforce, surely money could be better spent elsewhere!

Reply Posted by John L on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:10
How long before they start charging for a permit??

Reply Posted by Miss W on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:24
They introduced the permit system in Wakefield and it works. Some people seem to prefer a rant than change!!

Reply Posted by Claire on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:28
Car stickers don't say where you live !
People pay council tax in that area should be aloud to use the tip - if nana doesn't drive because she is 80 but askekef grandson to take some rubbish to the tip in his car from London he won't be aloud ???? Barnsley Council cover all your bases please

Reply Posted by Fred on Thursday January 5 2017 at 18:47
The word is ALLOWED - not ALOUD

Reply Posted by Mike on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:29
For those moaning about only having a paper licence. Get it exchanged, it doesn't cost owt more than a passport photo.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:27
Good point, Mike. Some people are just lazy and like to have a moan.

Reply Posted by Ian Simpson on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:31
Perhaps if we all decide to burn our rubbish on a Weekly basis and cause a Beijing style smog across the town there might be a rethink. I've a company car, no V5 and its registered at my Head office in Burton. This is just a Fly Tippers Charter.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:23
Ian, what do you do with your rubbish then? do you drive it round in your company car??

Reply Posted by Emma on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:32
What evidence can I bring that I use my company car?we don't have insurance documents etc, we just have the key to the car so how can I prove it's my car?

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:25
Emma, why don't you ask your company for advice on how to use their car taking rubbish to council dumps?

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Friday January 6 2017 at 15:36
If you are worried and have a lot of stuff to dump, why not go to a dumpit and find out? what's the worst that could happen...bring your drivers licence or some other ID with you.

Reply Posted by Mr D on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 19:56
It is absolutely correct that the council should look to ensure only residents use the facilities, as they are paid for by the council and hence from residents council tax. The permit system may have some teething problems which will need sorting, but it is entirely the correct course of action.

The current collection service works well as long as people can be bothered to sort refuse and put the appropriate bins out on the right day ( many do not ). If anyone does not have a bin, they can either have one delivered or collect it themselves

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 20:12
The permit system is stupid, Ill thought out and has so many problems associated with it that it is absolutely crazy.

The council send out a council tax update letter to every home in the town once a year. Would it not be far better to send out a permit to each household with this letter. They would know 100% that the household receiving the permit was located within the borough as they are the ones sending it out attached to a letter concerning the very thing that pays for the tips.

1 household, 1 permit. Simple.

Last time I checked the council dumpit sites were for residents of Barnsley. They aren't for cars registered in Barnsley. A car has no need to use a tip, a resident does.

Also the council MAKE money from certain kinds of waste so loosing none residents to use PARTS of the recycling centres would be beneficial to Barnsley.

Reply Posted by Tony on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 21:35
I've often wondered how much the council do make from recycling.Everything that is recycled doesn't go to landfill,obviously,so there is a huge saving because it costs so much per tonne to dump and then we come to the recycled materials.I don't suppose glass,paper,cardboard and plastics have a very high commercial value,but in the quantities WE give them? Metal is a different matter it has much higher value especially aluminium.Once again we are talking enormous amounts over what,fifteen years?,twenty years?I can't ever recall hearing or reading any figures on this matter but I would like to know how much has been saved/raised and what has happened to it !

Reply Posted by STEVEO on Thursday January 5 2017 at 09:21
In terms of scrap in brown bins then multiply the number of bins/households who are "forced" to recycle and create a revenue stream for BMBC by the following:
Aluminium - £0.60P per Kilo
Steel - £0.9P per Kilo

Works out at a colossal amount of money effectively paying bin mens salaries plus a LOT MORE!

A F.O.I Request was submitted to the BMBC/Labour Clowns with regard to the amounts of revenues raised by forcing householders to recycle and guess what?

The Labour Clowns blocked the request!

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:21
Hmmm - are you a car owner? Do you have any idea how many council tax payers are not car owners? Can you imagine how many council tax payers, car owners and non car owners, would lose the permit sent in the post. If you can compare it with residents who don't respond to requests to confirm entry on the electoral register, that would be a start.

Reply Posted by Tony on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:42
Yes paying bin mens wages plus a lot more for a lot of years.Who submitted the F.O.I. request? I thought they had to respond, that's why the Freedom of Information Act was brought in.

Reply Posted by D on Friday January 6 2017 at 07:57
That is very interesting! So basically we are all lining the pockets of BMBC's 'Fat Cats' Lets see what happens this year with these lot....

Reply Posted by dave on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 20:10
all the council are doing is adding to the fly tipping problem.even when you take rubbish to dumpit sites the staff go through the bags and pull things out and tell you they carnt accept certain items.i took down 12 bin bags of paper only to be turned away as they no longer take paper.they told me to put in white bag outside my home.what all of it what idiots so now I iam stuck with loads of paper in my shed which I carnt burn as it is too damp to burn as it was left in attic from previous tenants.when the sites first opened you could take anything now they are getting too picky and they wonder why people fly tip

Reply Posted by Joan Wilford on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 20:17
I think it's a good idea, I can never understand fly tipping the people involved have to drive to the area to fly tip why not just go to the relevant tips then you don't get in bother

Reply Posted by andrew on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 20:24
i think dumpit site staff are very rude and intimidating also wondering why they are called recycling sites but yet on entering one there is a sign that tells you that you are not allowed to take things out of skips.but if you see something been thrown away that you can make use of you,re not allowed to take it but i thought recycling meant to stop things going to land fill sites so wouldn't it make more sense to let people take items out of skips if they can use them at home?

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 21:08
I always find the staff at the worsbrough site to be rude but the ones at goldthorpe/thurnscoe to be very friendly.

What I have always thought is that they seem to be very overstaffed with at least one member of staff constantly sat down doing nothing regardless of the time I go at.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:12
Andrew, I have no opinion on whether staff are rude - they certainly should not be.
I don't think you should be allowed to take stuff out of the skips at the sites though.
why would you want to??? The potential for people hurting themselves, getting cut or god knows what else is endless.

Reply Posted by Janet Armitage on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 21:06
Think I will have to apply for one to get the rubbish removed that the bin collection should do. Applied for assisted bin collection for my mum on Nov 1st told it would start 1Dec - not !!! Had to ring up every week to say it's been missed , still waiting for a call back from last week & again today !!!
Really getting annoying now

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:06
Jane, is that the system where you put a sign in the window for help moving the bins to the pavement for the elderly or infirm? Disgraceful if it isn't working. No wonder you are getting annoyed. My elderly mother wouldn't have the sign in her window because it highlighted she was vulnerable and alone. She had to rely on her family coming round to put her bins out.

Reply Posted by Jane on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 22:31
My mother is 95 and blind I take rubbish to tip for her but my car isn't registered in Barnsley, obviously she hasn't a V5 so denied access to tip now.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:01
Does your mother not have bins? How often do you have to go to the tip for her? It can't be that often, surely. you will have to turn up and explain.

Reply Posted by dawn on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 23:01
People wouldnt need to use the tip if council bin men emptied the dam bins. Got 2 bins allocated to my house they are both out so what do they do empty one, after the xmas period too. Ring them up reply is this "they wont come back van you take it to dumpit and we will make sure both bins are emptied next time" errrmm yes i can but not when the permit come in to force so if they forget again i will demand their return rant over.

Reply Posted by B Taylor on Thursday January 5 2017 at 00:59
Open sites lateral that working people can access after work probably would helpstop fly tipping too

Reply Posted by Tip user on Thursday January 5 2017 at 06:15
Why does it matter what vehicle you are driving and where it is registered to ? Surely a passport or driving license with home address on is good enough?

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 14:56
It matters because the aim is to reduce the amount of trips to the dump from people outside BMBC as the dumps and the recycling are financed by Barnsley. Council tax payers. Why on earth is it easier to bring your passport along, instead of your V5 and get your windscreen sticker? How much rubbish do you want to bring driving other people's cars?

Reply Posted by Appalled on Thursday January 5 2017 at 07:13
What a **** idea. What's the cost of producing the stickers, in fact what's all the admin costs? The queues can be bad enough to get in, just imagine them while they sort out your paperwork!!!! One very bad move.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 14:51
The queues can be long because carloads of people from out of the borough come to dump their rubbish because they can't be bothered to wait until the times their local dumps are open.

Reply Posted by e lloyd on Thursday January 5 2017 at 08:13
sort of see why but once again an administrative cost to taxpayer is created and the many suffer, if only from inconvenience, for the few. are you communicating with neighbouring authorities to rectify the situation with regard to their opening times and the added burden it is creating for us?

Reply Posted by Les colbeck on Thursday January 5 2017 at 08:38
So what happens if we don't have a photo I d which I haven't

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 14:47
Les, do you have a V5 for your car?
How often do you use Dumpit?

Reply Posted by Tony Sefton on Thursday January 5 2017 at 08:47
I very rarely have the need to use the dumpit site but if I do, it's usually for things like a fridge, cooker bed frame etc, I never use it for business waste as I pay for a skip.

I find it ridiculous that I have to put those items in a car when I have a van, I can apply for a permit to use the van and then when I have applied they tell me that I can only go in as long as it's not a long wheel Base van. Mine is a Traffic LWB. So officially it's LWB but it's not like A LWB Citroen relay or Iveco which is much longer.
They should simply realise that waste is produced and has to be disposed of somewhere and provide somewhere for people to get rid of it.
I think that a Dumpit Site run correctly could be turned into a profitable service if it is run correctly. How many 1000,s of people use the site. ? I would be happy to pay a small fee for the use of the service as long as they don't use every excuse under the sun to stop you using it.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 14:45
I very rarely have the need to use the dumpit site for fridges, cookers or bed frames - about once every 10 years probably.
It's not such a big deal.

Reply Posted by Mrs p on Thursday January 5 2017 at 09:08
What about people who don t have cars but have relatives who take their rubbish to the tip for them?my car s only small so my daughter takes my bigger items to the tip in her larger car,plus I don't have a green bin so all my rubbish goes in my one and only grey bin which soon gets full

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 14:42
Mrs p....

Why don't you have a green bin? Ring the council and ask for one, of get your daughter to do it for you if you are incapable.
Do you have a car or is your car too small to transport rubbish. Do you have a Smart car perhaps?
What on earth do you do with your life to produce so much rubbish that you need massive cars to transport it to the dump? Are you the Queen lol lol

Reply Posted by Tracey Pye on Thursday January 5 2017 at 15:16
My In Laws live in the London Borough of Havering, to use the tip there you have to attend with a letter to prove that you are a resident so for example a council tax letter. Also has anyone at the council thought about people from outside Barnsley who might be attending the tip for an elderly or disabled relative or friend who lives in Barnsley? disability discrimination cases are going to come flooding in.

Reply Posted by Simone on Thursday January 5 2017 at 16:01
I am still waiting for the coloured bins the council offered to deliver free of charge before there re-cycling collections were changed. Now have been told I cannot collect them but have to pay £15 to have each bin delivered. Agree that one permit per household is a good idea and registered to the home address and not the car and could be sent out with the yearly council tax letters.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 16:03
Amazing. All of a sudden Barnsley is full of kind & caring relatives from outside the borough who are endlessly taking carloads of rubbish to the dump on behalf of their elderly family members.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday January 5 2017 at 16:15
What do you mean all of a sudden?

Reply Posted by Margaret crossland on Thursday January 5 2017 at 16:11
Then u wonder why there is fly tipping going to be a lot worce

Reply Posted by Resident on Friday January 6 2017 at 15:29
What are you on about Margaret? This system hasn't even started yet. When u wonder why there is fly tipping, what do u wonder is the main cause?

Reply Posted by P on Thursday January 5 2017 at 16:11
Absolute nonsence !!! People from other areas using dumpit sites i dont think so, whos going to travel 10+ miles to a dumpit site. Increased volumes due to council cutting back on bin collections, just like over the christmas period they used to collect the grey bin before & after chritmas. What a joke. Just watch favoured fly tip areas fill up more than ever.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Friday January 6 2017 at 15:10
Is that where you are going to fly tip your rubbish, P??
People do travel 10 miles to a dumpit, it's not a big deal.
It takes some people in Barnsley to decide whether they can be bothered to put their bins out.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday January 5 2017 at 17:55
I wonder what bang Rudy's job is at the council because he or she said certainly an employee trying to defend their new policy

Reply Posted by grammar police on Thursday January 5 2017 at 18:48
Almost English there Hmmm,keep trying!

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Thursday January 5 2017 at 19:10
I only have a small car. It is, however, bang tidy inside and out. What will happen when I ring my elderly relatives who live 30 miles away to come over in their massive car to move my rubbish for me. Will they be allowed in the dumpit or will they have to drive my rubbish back to their area?

Reply Posted by Stig on Thursday January 5 2017 at 19:51
I recently visited a council dump outside Sheffield. It is hardly ever open but it was worth the wait. The staff were amazing, so polite. The ambiance was relaxing and the aroma was divine. I did not have much rubbish to dump and it was clearly marked 'Property of BMBC' but they didn't mind. Even better, they let me rummage through the skips and said I could fek whatever I liked!

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday January 5 2017 at 21:38
Why do you find it odd that somebody would have visited two different council dumps? I think in my lifetime I've used 5 different ones. I must be some kind of monster

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Thursday January 5 2017 at 21:41
Actually my brother lives in Harley and I live in Hoyland it's a 5 minute walk between our houses. Oh and he drives a subura forester which is much bigger than my fiesta.

Amazing how things like that are possible isn't it.

Reply Posted by jackie on Thursday January 5 2017 at 23:45
ok so how will this work ,Thurnscoe address comes under Rotherham but is actually under bmbc ???? address on v5 says Rotherham ??? but the tip just up the road is barnsley mbc ....ahhhhh help lol

Reply Posted by D on Friday January 6 2017 at 07:54
They really haven't thought this through! :(

Reply Posted by Resident on Friday January 6 2017 at 15:54
If you have got stuff that you need to dump, you should just take it and find out, you are not going to get turned away! And the system is being phased in.

Reply Posted by Patricia on Friday January 6 2017 at 01:09
It's a rediculous announcement that we need to show ID to wait in line as penguins to place our waste even though we pay rates. If you have more waste than usual it be cause you redecorating, unable to place your bins out or other reasons!

Reply Posted by @Patricia on Friday January 6 2017 at 13:45
'....wait in line as penguins...' I love it! But I think you only have to show your V 5 once to get a windscreen sticker? And unless there is a mass redecorating craze, not everybody would be doing it on the same day so perhaps it would not be so bad after all.

Reply Posted by D on Friday January 6 2017 at 07:53
What a load of horse.... Right so because I drive a company car yet I pay my Barnsley council tax and yet my driving license has my home address on I have to prove I use the vehicle for personal use in Barnsley? Imagine the queues to the tip with hoops like these to jump through! Absolute joke. Which buffoon decided this was a good idea? Why not just do a driving licence check? This would prove you were a resident of Barnsley... Well done BMBC idiocy strikes again.

Reply Posted by Mr S on Friday January 6 2017 at 08:16
Build a wall !!!

Reply Posted by JD on Friday January 6 2017 at 09:38
Just another example of using bureaucracy to discourage the use of facilities, typical of Barnsley council, make it so difficult people won't use the sites, then the opening hours will be reduced so less people will use them and hey presto before we know it they will be shut. Barnsley council do not own anything, every single thing with a council insignia belongs to US the council tax paying folk of Barnsley.
Nobody is going to drive from Wakefield or Rotherham to use our local dump it sites, get real, just another pathetic excuse to do something that nobody in Barnsley wants or even has a say in.

Reply Posted by @JD on Friday January 6 2017 at 13:40
JD - people can either believe that people frequently drive from Wakefield, Rotherham & Sheffield to dispose of waste, putting the dumps financed by Barnsley council tax payers under excessive pressure. Or they can believe that BMBC are trying to make it so difficult for residents to use the sites with a view to closing them down. I believe the first option. I also believe it's not the best thought out plan and it will take time before it works.

Reply Posted by Melvyn Shaw on Friday January 6 2017 at 10:07
This is rediculous. I'm not sure that it matters where rubbish is disposed of as long as it's in the appropriate place. It will increase fly tipping which in turn will increase council costs when having to remove rubbish that has been left by fly tipper.

Reply Posted by Mr S on Friday January 6 2017 at 11:23
You are not sure that it matters where rubbish is disposed of as long as it's in the right place ? Make your mind up Melvin.What if someone disposed of their rubbish on your drive ?,or in your garden ?,would it matter then ?

Reply Posted by Helen Dixon on Friday January 6 2017 at 14:45
Just been to Worsboro' site and as usual staff could not be more helpful. Also sorted out my permit. Don't decry men doing a difficult, mucky job.

Reply Posted by resident on Friday January 6 2017 at 15:02
Well said Helen Dixon.
So many people seem to be in a rage, in a panic or confused about how this system can work, and there you go, a person who actually uses one of the sites, showing that it's not difficult.

Reply Posted by JD on Friday January 6 2017 at 17:00
Lucky you!!! Try running the gauntlet of the Smithies site, miserable jobsworths pontificating about us pesky plebs who keep cluttering the place up, every single one of them. I have worked in the public sector all my life and never forgotten the service users pay my wages, these people need to do the same,perhaps they could do with a charm school refresher course.

Reply Posted by Sideshow Bob on Friday January 6 2017 at 17:28
There are a lot of good points on this page, My opinion? My opinion is that Bang Tidy needs to give his/hers head a shake. I bet he/she was the kid at school who all the other kids didn't like because that kid had an answer for absolutely everything. Get a grip Bang Tidy, you're not at school now. There's still time for you I'm positive of that.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Friday January 6 2017 at 18:11
Thing is, Sideshow Bob, for questions to do with for example how to dispose of your rubbish and how to negotiate Council bureaucracy, there usually is a straightforward answer or a possible solution to a problem. I'm not sorry to have a positive outlook rather than being a defeatist.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Saturday January 7 2017 at 14:20
Bang tidy do you work for the council? You dodged the question before so how about a simple yes or no?

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Saturday January 7 2017 at 16:04
Hmmm, I didn't know you had asked me before if I work for the council.
The simple answer is no.

Reply Posted by Bang Tidy on Sunday January 8 2017 at 12:29
Sideshow Bob
I doubt you will ever read this response to your earlier post, as there are so many posts from people concerned about the changes to accessing the dumpits. This shows people are very worried about it and I understand the concern.
Was I the kid at school that the other kids didn't like because I always had an answer for everything?
Well yes, I was, up to a point. I have a condition called Aspergers which was diagnosed when I was 11. This makes me rigid in my thinking, usually very logical and if there are 'rules' my natural thoughts are to follow them and my personality caused me to not sit quietly but to speak up. So as you can imagine I was extremely unpopular in school when I was younger.
As I went through school, especially after my diagnosis, and after a very supportive Year Head (whose son had Aspergers ) did some work with my year group, I did gradually get a degree of acceptance.
It took me a lot longer to make friends but I have a few friends now from my school days who recall sitting back and enjoying the discussion when I used to challenge our (compulsory ) Religious Studies teacher on fundamental issues.
I was hugely bullied as a kid though.
Anyway, I survived school. I went on to University. I had various jobs to finance myself. It took me 5 years to complete my degree, instead of 3.
I have and will always have Aspergers because that's the way my brain is wired but I have also experienced bouts of OCD where I can't stop washing my hands for example, can't leave my home until everything is neat,clean, tidy and in its place. It is an exhausting and debilitating mental illness.
Several years later I have numerous jobs, none of which are well paid, to make a living.
I do sometimes get to speak to kids in school to raise awareness about Aspergers.
So, Sideshow Bob, I can't 'give my head a shake' as neurology shows that my brain is wired differently from yours. it is what it is, to use another familiar phrase.
regards, 'Bang Tidy'

Reply Posted by Sideshow Bob on Friday January 13 2017 at 02:45
Bang Tidy, You just seem to have an answer for everything on this post and it seems to be on the councils side 99% of the time. People are genuinely concerned about the new permit system are are allowed to express those concerns. I have first hand experiences with the waste disposal sites and their staff, on the majority its not a good experience. I really hope the system put in place works, however my thought is that it probably won't and that WAB will soon be reporting that there is in fact a rise in fly tipping which I for one do not condone, however feel peoples frustration on the matter. On a personal note I found your reply to my comment one of the better ones I've received, and would expect in different circumstances that we would get along pretty well. But neither one of us will probably lose sleep on any of the above matters.As for my head shaking comment, I take it back in an heartbeat. I wish you well for the future my new BFF and good luck with all your comment replies.

Reply Posted by Darren Wells on Friday January 6 2017 at 18:26
Permit or no permit fly tippers will still fly tip and they will because the council do nothing about it take it from someone who lives near a fly tipping hotshot. Permit system is good idea but I think Barnsley council need to get off there backsides and sort the fly tipping issue

Reply Posted by Linton on Friday January 6 2017 at 22:57
I agree that local tips should be used for residents in the area, e.g.: Barnsley. What about businesses? I can't see the problem with businesses using the tips. I have a business & pay for a bin but sometimes overloaded with rubbish, when I ring the council, The answer is: Oh No! You can't go in with a Luton van. FGS, Why Not? The Council wonder why we have fly tipping. Even if businesses were allowed to tip once a month it would be a big help. Who makes these ridiculous rules up? It would stop all the illegal dumping. Come on Council, think again.

Reply Posted by Edward and Tubbs on Saturday January 7 2017 at 13:23
This is a local tip for local people.There's nothing here for you !

Reply Posted by JAK on Saturday January 7 2017 at 11:14
Fly tippers will love this one

Reply Posted by Geoff neal on Saturday January 7 2017 at 17:00
Brilliant, good luck

Reply Posted by John P on Monday January 9 2017 at 12:16
Just been to Smithies Lane tip (11-45 am).As usual helpful staff,while taking rubbish gave my V5 to lady,permit sorted ,less than 1 minute.
Interesting that there was car from Wakefield in front of me,could be good system.

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Monday January 9 2017 at 20:06
But the council claim that people from out of town are using our tips because of the opening hours, Wakefield's tips actually open longer than ours and they were all open this morning. Coincidentally Wakefield also operate a permit scheme but they care about where the person lives, not where the car lives.

Reply Posted by Imposter clowns on Wednesday January 11 2017 at 13:44
This is what happens when you vote Labour. Idiotic policies from an idiotic council.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Thursday January 12 2017 at 07:25
It is a much needed scheme to ensure that the waste sites financed by Barnsley Council Tax payers are used by Barnsley people. It sounds as if it will be fairly easy to administer and after the initial ' panic' people will soon get used to it. Nobody should use it as an excuse for the anti social practice of fly tipping.

Reply Posted by Just saying on Saturday January 14 2017 at 19:38
It's a strange world we live in, where there is so much concern about waste & rubbish - we've got so much! Why??
Everything I buy from supermarkets is packaged to a ridiculous extent. There is no need for most of it.
If you are at all concerned ( and not just commenting here for a joke), have a look at some of the stuff you have put in your bins this weekend. If it's packaging, you never needed it in the first place but you will have paid for it.
Waste good, food past its sell by dates - how does that happen? Are we so lazy/ greedy that we buy way more than we need?
Anybody around my age will remember when we had a metal dustbin, it wasn't gigantic, that's what each house used or their rubbish, why has it got out of control now?

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday January 15 2017 at 17:20
Interesting point. I buy ready meals as they are convenient and I am lazy but true there is a lot of packaging involved - the cardboard sleeve, the plastic tray etc but not much actual food in there. Before reading this post I had a pack of 4 apples from morrisons, they were in a polystyrene tray with a plastic covering, the packing was as bulky as the apples, if I'm in a hurry I will buy prepacked veg when I could easily buy the same without the packaging. Its what we've got used to doing isn't it.
We are the throw away society I think that is true to say, then we go crazy if our bins aren't emptied on time and there's restrictions at the waste sites.
I don't remember the metal bins, it'd hard to imagine you had one per household.