News » WAB Debate

WAB Debate: Should learner drivers be allowed on the motorway?

Friday December 30 2016

Learner drivers will be allowed on the motorway if plans are approved Learner drivers will be allowed on the motorway if plans are approved

LEARNER drivers are set to be allowed to have lessons on motorways for the first time, if government plans are approved.

Transport minister Andrew Jones says the move would help make roads in Britain safer, while motoring experts say the change is necessary because inexperienced new drivers are often scared to go on motorways and are instead choosing dangerous back roads and lanes where they are more likely to have an accident.

The lessons will not be mandatory and driving instructors will decide when their students are ready. Learners must also be in a dual controlled car, and be driving with an approved instructor.

What do you think? Should learner drivers be allowed on the motorway? Comment your views below.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Friday December 30 2016 at 10:40
I took motorway lessons days after I passed my test, my instructor offered them & I found it really helpful. I think all learners should have them once they pass their test or before, either way they should be mandatory

Reply Posted by Dave on Friday December 30 2016 at 10:56
It's called Advanced Driving Lessons for motorway driving (after) passing the standard driving test - The original Driving Instructor should be contacted for their opinion and written details on whether (John Smith) is capable of motorway driving. - PLUS there (MUST BE) a minimum speed limit at 70 mph, as other motorway users will be travelling around the 70 mph mark.

Reply Posted by Tracy Evans on Friday December 30 2016 at 11:01
I took motorway lessons after I passed my test, best thing I ever did. I'm not sure letting learners on is the right thing to do, but to make motor ways lessons compulsory after passing would be a good idea. idea

Reply Posted by Cathertine on Friday December 30 2016 at 11:10
Motorway lessons should be compulsory but ly once the driver has passed their test. I had motorway lessons once I'd passed. But I wouldn't have have been comfortable driving on the motorway before I had passed.

Reply Posted by Dean on Friday December 30 2016 at 16:14
It was called pass plus when I did it , very helpfull looking back on it ...

Reply Posted by Tony on Friday December 30 2016 at 21:12
At last something sensible.Motorway driving is a part of life so it's only right that learner drivers ,under supervision,should get experience of it.

Reply Posted by Mrs R on Friday December 30 2016 at 21:30
well said Tony

Reply Posted by Hmmm on Saturday December 31 2016 at 10:11
Motorways are also extremely dangerous places and the way to make them safer isn't to put untrained people on them. The way to make them safer is to make it a requirement to do additional training AFTER proving your competency in a vehicle (ie after passing your test). A driving licence shouldn't give automatic motorway rights, that should come only after completing additional training AFTER passing your test. The pass plus essentially, until that's done no motorway.

Reply Posted by Tony on Saturday December 31 2016 at 11:58
At present you can pass your driving test and then go straight on to a motorway unaccompanied.I thought the thinking behind this latest proposal was to give learner drivers supervised experience of motorway conditions.A driving licence DOES give automatic motorway rights,this scheme should rectify the situation.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Saturday December 31 2016 at 13:34
Way I see it duel controls are useless on motorway, If instructor slams brakes on you going to get a pile up, so really all instructor could do is talk them threw it and that's about it
ps women drivers are a danger to everyone moterway or not

Reply Posted by I don't drive!! on Saturday December 31 2016 at 14:56
Mr C. You talk a load of tosh, do you ever watch the police interceptors??? 98% of drivers stopped for what ever reason are MEN!! Or boys who think they are men! I think motorway experience is a great idea, as long as the L drivers remember what they have been taught!! When they pass their test!!Which I very much doubt. And the word is through it not threw it!!! Dumbo.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Saturday December 31 2016 at 16:29
Oh no I've been done by grammar police....I bet it's not Steven James with his fake statistics again
Mr I watch police interceptors so I'm a expert

Reply Posted by anon on Saturday December 31 2016 at 17:52
Spelling police surely?

Reply Posted by I don't drive on Saturday December 31 2016 at 16:52
Mr C, you are A expert??? Think not? You are AN expert?? I am a lady of some 76 yrs. not Steven James thank you very much!! Try watching police interceptors with your eyes open! You will find I am right!!!

Reply Posted by Victoria on Sunday January 1 2017 at 12:29
I think it should be compulsary for drivers to have lessons on the motorway as I feel that motorway confidence needs to established before going on the motorway. I mean when you are a newly passed driver and then all of a sudden you have this 'metal on wheels' being allowed to go at a fairly fast pace with other cars whizzing round can of course seem very daunting, I am of the opinion therefore that it should be made compulsory, if not to pass the initial test then a secondary test to prove competency on the motorway and not being able to go on the motorway before this 'secondary test' is completed.

Reply Posted by Steven James (Real One) on Monday January 2 2017 at 10:54
I see the imposter clowns are at it using my name in vain.
Gone to the dogs this place!

WAB - Sort out the REGISTRATION SYSTEM ASAP to stop these imposter CLOWNS!

Reply Posted by Mike on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 10:21
Why not make it law that newly-passed drivers cannot drive on a Motorway Unless they have taken lessons on them by a trained Instructor and he gives them a "pass" mark

Reply Posted by Mr S on Wednesday January 4 2017 at 17:02
Read the question Mike,that's what they are proposing.

Reply Posted by brian on Friday January 6 2017 at 13:37
In Germany all learner drivers have compulsory motorway lessons as part of their training. This is done when the instructor believes they are competent and have accumulated a certain number of hours before they are allowed on the autobahns where speed limits are higher than UK. They are also advised to take winter driving lessons to handle driving on snow and ice.

Reply Posted by Tony on Friday January 6 2017 at 15:46
Just one more example of other countries being way ahead of Britain.British politicians ,newspapers and greedy rich individuals would have us believe that this country is almost the best in the world and could be the very best if only they were given the opportunity to inflict more,and more virulent versions,of their policies on us.This is the exact opposite of the truth.All Britain's problems have been caused by allowing the big companies, corporations,the banks and the very wealthiest individuals to do pretty much anything they want.The result has been that there is no longer any national planning (except when it comes to attacking the poorest in society)everything is "market driven",which has only increased the huge disparities in wealth not just between people but between regions.It also caused all the recessions we have suffered culminating in the great financial crash of 2008 from which the country still hasn't recovered.
- But we never seem to learn do we ? Here we are in 2017 with the same party in government,the only growth areas tax dodging and money laundering,economic uncertainty stretching far into the future,and an all purpose excuse-BREXIT-to blame when things take a turn for the even worse .What a country !