Community shop opens in Athersley

Monday October 24 2016

Community Shop Community Shop

A NEW low cost community shop has opened its doors in Athersley today.

Community Shop stores are located in areas of deprivation, with membership that is open to people who live locally and receive welfare support.

The facility will offer low cost food as well as servies to support people in the area.

The facility was opened by MP for Barnsley Central,  Dan Jarvis, he said:, “It is good to see another Community Shop open in Barnsley.

"I have seen for myself the brilliant work Community Shop has already done in Goldthorpe – not only providing great food at affordable prices but also helping its members to deal with issues that are holding them back.

"With the support of local food manufacturers, I am confident that the new Community Shop will thrive in Athersley.”

Reply Posted by me on Monday October 24 2016 at 13:52
Can anyone use it or do we the workers get discriminated against for paying taxes and have to pay top prices for our food while these who will pay less will still have money for fags and ale everyday.

Reply Posted by Anon on Monday October 24 2016 at 13:55
Hello 'me' you are right it's just for those that are on benefits. The workers aren't allowed in unless you meet certain criteria to qualify for a card to use in the shop in Tankersley. Totally wrong but they don't stock fags or booze

Reply Posted by Me on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:06
what sort of benefit do u have to be on to get card and how do u get the card please

Reply Posted by Danni on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:07
I think the below comments are so unfair , I suffer with multiple screlosis and I'm 23 , I get pip and help from the Esa , I've been cut down to part time hours as I cannot work full time as I previously did . So not everyone catagerised as been on benefits are lazy and not all of us smoke and drink ! So think before u write stupid comments like this some of us have disease for the rest of our lives and don't need pathetic comments like these to pull them down when there trying there god damned hardest to try and earn a living we are not less of people !

Reply Posted by carol on Monday October 24 2016 at 18:38
hi, what proof do you need to show , and how do you get a card for the shop thanks

Reply Posted by Emma kirk on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:12
Hiya were is this shop plz

Reply Posted by mr m mitchell on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:16
who can use this shop please

Reply Posted by Joan on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:25
It won't last two mins in Athersley, you'll get your usual shop lifters going in, one of the reasons why sainsburys shut may i add...... Like everything else it will get spoilt by the druggies !!!!!
How do I know???
Cos I live in Athersley that's why and been trying to get a move for 3 year, hate the dump of a place !!!!

Reply Posted by unfair on Monday October 24 2016 at 21:33
I was brought up in Athersley when to ' Eddy Sherrian'got qualifications and worked all my life so don't slag of people that were brought up in Athersley It is the interlopers who are moved that cause all the hassle

Reply Posted by Emma on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:36
It's not a 'community' shop if it excludes the workers that are part of the so called 'community'... boils my blood.

Reply Posted by Patricia martin on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:36
What do to be able to apply and where do you apply

Reply Posted by Sense on Monday October 24 2016 at 14:51
COMMUNITY shop? For a group of people living in the same place????? Or for a specific group of people that excludes the rest of the COMMUNITY?

Reply Posted by Steven James on Monday October 24 2016 at 15:32
I wonder if Dan the man will use the Community shop?

Doesn't need to does he on his MP's salary which must be nigh on 100K with expenses.

A highly decorated former Sergeant Major with the elite Parachute Regiment RESIGNS his commission to be "career" politician for Barnsley Central and you saps keep voting for him?

He couldn't give a monkeys CHUFF about the people he purports to represent, he is only interested on staying on the wheels of the Labour Gravy Train.

Funny that he should "put his name" to this when he ABSTAINED against the Welfare Bill don't you think?

ABSOLUTE PARASITE of the highest order, IS IT SINKING IN YET SHEEP?

Reply Posted by Rose on Monday October 24 2016 at 19:29
He did his bit for Q & C __ what have you done ? Why don't you go and tell him to his face big man ? he'd rip you a new arse in 2 seconds flat !

Reply Posted by Steven James on Monday October 24 2016 at 20:20
What a cap end you really are, told him to his face that he was a bell end career politician and FYI i'm a black belt so would make him look daft.

Reply Posted by Rose on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 09:56
The only black belt you've got pal is the one that came with your "bobby washable " jeans from Asda.

P.s what's your favourite kata ?
P.P.s he's 4th Dan .

Reply Posted by Hy on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 11:24
Rose, are you on a Labour Council in a"Neighbouring Town".

Reply Posted by Rose on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 16:07

Reply Posted by Rose on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 17:59
@ Hy __ Are you the karate expert Steven James ?

Reply Posted by Billy big arms on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 18:05
( written Steven James style ) DO YOU know who i AM ? .. FYI I'm Steven JAMES, Karate EXPERT pal .. PURREM up NAR ..
what an absolute dolls head .

Reply Posted by Hy on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 18:16

Reply Posted by Rose on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 18:44
I am dosie rosie with no life!

Reply Posted by Rose on Wednesday October 26 2016 at 15:58
No you're not, you're HY the retard who trolls people !

Reply Posted by HY on Wednesday October 26 2016 at 16:28
Rose I asked a quite normal question, NO was a good enough answer. But to call me a RETARD just goes to prove what a stupid and simple minded individual you really are, as for being a troll I think your mistaking me for your pittifull life and it is ROSIE THE DOSIE A----H---. that is the troll GET A LIFE YOU SAD OH!

Reply Posted by Rose on Wednesday October 26 2016 at 18:35
Calm down, calm down, no need to shout it !! wasn't me that replied. God ..

Reply Posted by Jodie allen on Monday October 24 2016 at 17:01
I think it's a good idea but wow only allowed people on benefits to go make me sick when I work and pay my taxes and can't even go in world just wow I pay for all the people who can work choose not to and sit on there arsed and do nothing it proper irritates me I'm 20 in my own house due to have a baby work full 40 plus hours a week going on maternity soon pay for dentist top prices in shops top proses in everything including medication and now they're opening a shop for people who are on benefits what's wrong with aldi ho no the won't go there because they think it's horrible a work and shop every month there some people just have no mortals and can't wait to be able to here makes me sick for discrimination the working class everyone should be entitled to cheap stuff

Reply Posted by Disgusted Worker on Monday October 24 2016 at 17:03
Yet again, we who earn our crust don't get thought about.
But if you nip into town once a fortnight to jobcentre, sign a booklet and get £200 for doing so.
Get a card for cheaper food, lower water rates, no rent or council tax

Or , we can be complete idiots : work 40 hours each, pay full price for our food, full rent n council tax and not be able to spend any time with our kids because we have to work ...

Who's daft here

Reply Posted by Rita on Thursday October 27 2016 at 14:21
spit the dummy out,

Reply Posted by Disgusted on Friday October 28 2016 at 20:06
To 'Disgusted Worker'
If you are so envious of the so called easy life why don't you stop working and enjoy the benefits?

Reply Posted by Full time worker on Monday October 24 2016 at 18:45
Dear dan jarvis. I doubt very much you will read this but if you do.......I'm sure you have good intentions, but have you thought about how this 'community shop' will affect local businesses like Nisa, Jack Foultons, Home farm bakery ect ect. Opening a discount shop and refusing entry to hard working people, some for who still struggle to pay there way, will divide the community and compromise local jobs. Is the company that runs this a private company. If it is, surly this is discrimination against workers.

Reply Posted by Rita on Monday October 24 2016 at 20:12
All you moaners working and still struggling to make ends meat, moral of the story. SHOULD HAVE GOT EDUCATED THEN YOU WOULD NOW HAVE A WELL PAID JOB, your own fault LOSERS always blaming others

Reply Posted by unfair on Monday October 24 2016 at 21:42
Rita I have worked 40years in the NHS and through no fault of my own I struggle at times I don't get a pay rise when MP's do. I am educated and have to train frequently to prove I can do my job also I have to pay £120 every year to be able to register as a nurse. So think before you make stupid comments.

Reply Posted by lauren on Monday October 24 2016 at 20:22
Rita only looser is you! How dare you even wriye that!
at least people work.
get your nose out of the air will you, least were npt sat on are arses some people work all hours god send, weather it makes ends meet or not.

Reply Posted by Kate on Monday October 24 2016 at 22:21
Community Shop is not just Cheap Food. It is for people who are low wages as well as benefit. So if you're working but qualify for Council Tax Support, Housing Benefit etc then you may still be eligible for membership. Community Shop is for people who are ready to make a change in there life by contributing to their/your own community. If you're not sure come in and talk to the local staff who work their

Reply Posted by annoyed on Monday October 24 2016 at 22:24
For they one complaining about not being able to use the shop why don't stop complaining and go.use the discount shop you can use on.Wakefield road

Reply Posted by Karen kenyon on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 11:51
What do I have to do fetch paper work or register

Reply Posted by Dianne on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 18:33
To join you visit the community shop, get a free cuppa while you wait to be seen, first come first seen basis. As to benefits, it is aimed at those on very low incomes and benefits generally fit this category but if you claim council tax benefit or housing benefit or have tax credit award you may also be eligible. Each person is judged as an individual.
The shop provide low price goods to those eligible for the card.
It also will soon begin working with those members to help them raise their sense of worth and wellbeing and so help them begin to reach out and help improve their community. The community shop help people realise what they are and can be through a range of short courses which include 'Work works', giving people support to get ready for and find work, and also 'Money matters', which helps people to deal with and guide people to manage debt and budget so they can begin to live with in their means.
The group will also become a resource to help some with other needs to gain confidence, deal with life trauma and become independent, and help them to help them to reach out to those who have now found themselves in similar life problems , thereby improving the community
In a world where no job is safe and life experiences and illness can take over your life to a point where you may not know where to turn or who to turn to the community can be that first step to moving out of doom and onto a future.
Don't knock it before it starts, just watch what happens as people get involved

Reply Posted by Pavel poliku on Tuesday October 25 2016 at 19:47
me and my family and friends just come from Calais jungle , we have no id can I have a card, got no money and waiting for benefits to arrive, we do not want to work, just get all free, thankyou kind UK

Reply Posted by booboo on Wednesday October 26 2016 at 21:20
Who is Community Shop for?
Our members need to meet three important criteria, to make sure our support reaches the right people:

Our members...

live in a specific postcode area, chosen in line with the government indices of deprivation
live in a household that receives some form of Government income support
and most importantly, are motivated to make positive change in their lives, and want to sign up to our programme
Community Shop is not about crisis support – which is often provided by food banks and food charities.

Nor are we for independent shoppers on a tight budget – they are already well served by retailers and discounters.

We want to help people on the cusp of food poverty, who are working hard to improve their lives.

We offer good food at great prices, which eases pressure on family budgets. And our members sign up to tailored, professional development programmes, to kick-start positive change in their lives.

Reply Posted by jason on Wednesday October 26 2016 at 22:51
. . RITA. . . Needs to learn how to spell. Just because some people are not able to study to get good grades to pass there exams doesn't mean there losers. Your very narrow minded .

Reply Posted by us on Thursday October 27 2016 at 11:01
I live in royston.can I use this?

Reply Posted by Amy Mac on Friday October 28 2016 at 06:36
Why on earth are some people jealous of people who:
Live in an area of deprivation
Are on some sort of income support

Basically you are envious of people living in poverty.
I bet if somebody said they had rickets, some people would say 'I want some!'

Reply Posted by shazz on Monday October 31 2016 at 12:34
were abouts are is it athersley anybody know

Reply Posted by Cathy on Saturday January 14 2017 at 19:59
Does disability or pension count plz x