Police issue clown warning

Wednesday October 12 2016

Police have issued a warning to people dressed as clowns Police have issued a warning to people dressed as clowns

POLICE have said that there have been 10 reports of incidents involving clowns in Barnsley - and have issued a warning to those responsible.

Between September 21 and today (October 12), concerns have been raised by 61 members of the public relating to incidents involving people dressed as clowns in South Yorkshire.

That equates to 11 reports in Doncaster, 18 in Rotherham, 21 in Sheffield and 10 in Barnsley.

The incidents include people being dressed as clowns knocking on windows and doors, and children and adults being frightened. There have also been two reports of clowns with knives, which are being investigated by police.

An incident in Dinnington, Rotherham, last night (October 11) is also under investigation after a 17-year-old boy was assaulted by a man dressed as a clown.

Super Intendent Colin McFarlane said: “There is a clear distinction to be drawn between young people who might be dressing up as we move into the Guy Fawkes and Halloween period and those that are dressing as clowns in order to commit public order offences or harassment.

"Clearly those that are crossing the threshold of criminality and especially if they are carrying weapons will be dealt with accordingly. I need people to understand that consequences of their actions and to take responsibility for them - South Yorkshire Police will not tolerate criminal behaviour.

“I urge anyone who feels frightened or threatened to report it to police.”

Anyone who is concerned or would like to report an incident should call 101.

Reply Posted by mummy on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 16:11
hu would.be soooo horrid to scare young kids ... they need to grow up and think about all.thm ppl there scaring !!!

Reply Posted by Luke on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 16:35
Police need to get force out in streets of Barnsley otherwise parents will take it into there own hands, I'm sorry to say but if any clown comes near my house or family I will take thing into my own hands

Reply Posted by Jessie on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 17:31
Luke, I don't blame you, it has got past a joke. Children and mums get frightened, and more elderly people such as myself too.
I have to be honest I am dreading Halloween and mischievous night this year.
In the past I have had a few treats for the kiddies, they wear therir little cloaks and costumes. But the clown thing is just frightening. Already I am starting to feel afraid.
At the best of times our police do not clear kids off the streets for being a nuisance eg at Kendray also at Stairfoot. I can't bare to think what it will be like at Halloween.

I even think I would be better off in hospital.

Reply Posted by Just Sayin' on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:17
Nice one Luke, I applaud your honesty.
The police don't want joe public to take matters into their own hands but getting them to prove they are willing to step up to the plate with anything is nigh on impossible.
Somtimes you have to do things yourself but ffs don't wear a clown mask as a disguise, lol. A balaclava would be more suitable for this task !!!

Reply Posted by Donna on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 16:53
The boy from Dinnington in Rotherham was 11!! according to one of his family members... this is getting good beyond a joke kids are terrified

Reply Posted by Jessie on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 17:40
I don't mind admitting I am terrified too. I just think anybody could dress up in that costume, pretend it is for Halloween and rob you. Most people.
Would not scream if they thought it was dressing up. Or, people will be screaming as part of the fun. I do worry, something horrible will happen under this disguise.

Reply Posted by mummy on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 17:27
its behond a joke.... they shunt be scaring little kids ....

Reply Posted by Laurie on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 17:30
Both my kids are scared to walk home from school because of these clowns. Clowns are ment to be fun squirting water from flowers not scaring kids to where they are scared to leave the house !!

Reply Posted by mummy on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 17:35
my little girl is frightened to death i feel sorry for the elderly... wat do they get owt of dressing like clowns ... they are just scsring alot off ppl and its nt fair !!!

Reply Posted by mummy on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 17:52
its bound to happen.jessie ... they need lockin up ... there wint be half of ppl.going out trick or treating with there children as they will.be too scared to.go.out !!!

Reply Posted by jane on Thursday October 13 2016 at 16:23
i agree with u luv. one of my lil girls dont wanna to out on hallows eve because of these clowns & we have went out every yr on hallows eve for nearly 12yr..& whats even more concering is if theres any unbalanced children out there bein scared by this clowns it will send them over the edge :(

Reply Posted by Rosie on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 19:06
How many are not reported ? Like when a young lad came running onto my driveway on Sunday evening about 8.30pm absolutely terrified saying there's somebody dressed as a clown & he's got a knife !! My son got in the car & went looking for the Clown, ( for Clown read Idiot) but didn't see him. This happened in Gawber

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 19:37
For those unaware its a recent trend that massive online & worldwide, obviously at some point it was gunna go too far & these are the results, so who's up for some clown hunting. I hope I see 1 it's defo not gunna do it again

Reply Posted by mummy on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 19:37
its ridiculas rosie .. they frightning kids for no reason ... its not on

Reply Posted by mr x on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 20:55
this craze was a few years ago too and around Halloween time

Reply Posted by Susannah on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 21:15
I saw a dodgy looking guy on Sunday around 6.30 around New Road / Princess Street / Longsight area in Mapplewell. Blue boiler suit, gloves and a mask in hand! It didn't occur to me about clowns till later on. Some sick peoples idea of fun!

Reply Posted by No name on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 21:45
In sorry to say it but I'd be on getting locked up if they pulled a stunt near my kids... I'm not scared of clowns but I wud be in fear of my kids if a weapon was being on show regardless of a clown costume r not ...ne one seeming a threat to my children n I will make there next breath there last...unfortunately I dunt think many parents wud stand still ...its fight or flight mode n when u have kids it tends to be fight... I can see it happening now there will end up a clown beaten n it will be the person protecting there children get in punished....its beyond a jke n not at all amusing !

Reply Posted by ellie on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 21:56
ik im 13 and i cant even leave the house in the dark im really scared, other day i saw a clown and had a really bad panik attack! Can this stop please??

Reply Posted by David Kenny on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 22:19
Crossing the line these nutmeg need to be made a example of stop it now

Reply Posted by Valerie Thomas on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 22:44
The children will.be damaged for the rest of their lives due to clowns. The genuine children's entertainers who dress as clowns will be affected too Halloween coming up things will get worse. This stupidity needs stopping do not scare children or any vulnerable elderly who are scared to go out in the dark anyway.

Reply Posted by Zena on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 22:46
Dressing up as clowns chaseing people with knifes is no joke special for such as myself been chased by one with knife could caurse me to av a seriours panick attack as i have been stabbed before these people need to grow up then fun as been knocked out of this becoming dangours

Reply Posted by MadParent on Wednesday October 12 2016 at 23:11
As a parent and a brother it's my job to protect by any means nessery so I do apologise to the NHS cause ill be adding to your casualty list... this is silly and stupid a craze is something like pokemon cards or lum bands not dressing up and striking fear into a community and making it worse with a knife!

Reply Posted by Uncle bword on Thursday October 13 2016 at 00:09
I saw some videos of this on YouTube months back and considered doing it to my friend before the trend caught on. Just driving to his house on a tricycle. Unarmed obviously and letting myself be seen on his cctv to scare him before revealing it was me after a few days. But things have gone 2 far now. It's about knowing your audience and to scare and traumatise children and old people is beyond daft. Carrying weapons is worse. I can see this getting worse before it gets better.

**** you Stephen king.

Reply Posted by Jill on Thursday October 13 2016 at 01:28
If they stopped selling clown costumes then maybe things would stop , scaring people is not on , lock them up if caught , poor kids and even adults n elderly terrified , idiots is what these people are , someone is gonna get seriously hurt , needs to be stopped

Reply Posted by Michael I on Thursday October 13 2016 at 03:27
Couple reported in last two days 5 minutes from my house, they are idiot hiding their identity feeling invincible, i will not put up with it if they are coming around bothering kids and the elderly, police step up.

Reply Posted by John P on Thursday October 13 2016 at 04:13
If approached by "clown" carrying weapon,ring 999 not 101.
It is only a matter of time before a "clown" is seriously wounded by someone protecting themself or others.

Reply Posted by Al on Thursday October 13 2016 at 05:56
I'm in my 50s and the two things in life that I don't like are masks n clowns...I think they should stop scaring people now,it's gone too far ,it's not amusing and they ought to think about those that they are scaring( especially them poor kids )

Reply Posted by Dean on Thursday October 13 2016 at 07:31
These clowns are fuelled by posts like this...

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Thursday October 13 2016 at 08:48
I hope one of these fools appears near me , A GOOD HARD THRASHING will be administered , on the grounds of self defence of course !

Reply Posted by Joanna on Thursday October 13 2016 at 09:42
******* idiots. Give em an hammer to head.

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 09:44
they need to grow up and think about others they are scaring... its not funni animre !!!

Reply Posted by Lol on Thursday October 13 2016 at 09:48
Just laught at them whilst giving them the biggest good hiding of their lives.or even better say trick or treat.then beat them to death with a lead cosh.

Reply Posted by DTT on Thursday October 13 2016 at 10:34
Stop overreacting. A water pistol or custard pie would sort the situation out. In fact I urge everyone to carry a cream bun of some description for their own safety.

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 11:00
wat do u mean stop over reacting DDT .. .... at the end of the day they are scarin kids n elderly... wat the **** is a water pistol or a cream bun gna do wen they are carrying knives about ???

Reply Posted by DTT on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:00
Ok,ok. If not a cream bun what about a bucket filled with confetti? That always worked at The Tower Circus?

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:14
its not a lafin matta.... they are scaring hell out off ppl n u think a cream bun n connfetti is ok ... there carryin nifes ffs

Reply Posted by Rita on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:31
Shut up you fool, its a clown having fun ffs!

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:39
how is it funny rita .. never.mind its clowns havin.fun .. a clown havin.fun.is wen they make balloons at kids birtday partys not walkin round fkin streets carryin nives.. thats just not funny RITA !!!!

Reply Posted by DTT on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:41
You're just being clownophobic.

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 15:43
who is been clownaphobic DTT ??

Reply Posted by Jessie on Thursday October 13 2016 at 16:12
A national newspaper reported today that a man in Blackburn, Lancs was of a victim of an incident on Sunday. When coming away from a cashpoint a person in a clown disguise approached him and he severed the tendons in his hand as it was a real knife being wielded. This isn't a joke.

Reply Posted by Rita on Thursday October 13 2016 at 16:22
Get a grip. this is a robbery not a clown scaring people ffs!

Reply Posted by Go back to school! on Thursday October 13 2016 at 16:14
MUMMY, instead of wasting time making stupid mis-spelt comments, get yourself a dictionary and sit down and look at it? You are turning the whole thing into a slanging match.

Reply Posted by Anonymity on Thursday October 13 2016 at 16:37
It's flipping ridiculous I get that some people find funny but I know people that get really panicked around clowns it's stopped being a joke I have a phobia of clowns

Reply Posted by i love clowns on Thursday October 13 2016 at 17:27
Don't look in the mirror then . you fool.

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 16:37
am not makin it in to a slaggin match at all .. n i can spell perfectly fine thank u ...

Reply Posted by DTT on Thursday October 13 2016 at 17:59
My advice. Go for the jugular

Reply Posted by Michaela Hoggett on Thursday October 13 2016 at 18:43
I spotted a clown ride past the front of my car whilst I was sat at a red traffic light on Wakefield road in Barnsley and then my 14 yr old niece was chased by two clowns in Barnsley town centre near KFC she ran away and fell hurting herself! This crazy clown is sick and needs to stop now and I hope I see one whilst I'm out again as i will go live on Facebook and rip off their mask and expose them virally!

Reply Posted by mummy on Thursday October 13 2016 at 19:26
its ridiculas micheala wen was this ?? my little girl is frightned to death n its nt nice for me to c my little girl as scared as she is !!

Reply Posted by INSANE CLOWN POSSE on Thursday October 13 2016 at 23:40
IT

Reply Posted by Mummsy on Friday October 14 2016 at 06:08
I just saw a scary clown with a horrible white face an a disgusting wig . Oh hang on...it's only Raving Rita.

Reply Posted by tony on Friday October 14 2016 at 14:11
My daughter can't sleep at nite and wakes up with nitemares coz if this clown thing. I have two staffies and I'm sorry to say if a clown is seen near my house my dogs would do their job and protect their family. If a dog attacks ine of these idiots and has to be destroyed because they are being loyal and doing their job is only a matter of time... I would actually rather taking it into Mt own hands rather than my dogs get hurt or have to be destroyed. Human reaction is to protect your family so I coukdnt say how I would react but I'm sure I would lash out as instinct

Reply Posted by tony on Friday October 14 2016 at 14:13
I remember Stephen kings IT. That Waa when I was young and many of my friends werre terrified and scarred for life. Someone Wilk get badly hurt

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Friday October 14 2016 at 19:05
In all honesty there has been scary clowns in Barnsley for years!!!! Local councillors, local MPs. Not to mention the ones that sit in peel square scaring the shoppers and good folk of our town.

Reply Posted by Amy.jones on Sunday October 16 2016 at 03:43
This needs to stop getting to end know.this country if no one does anything about it am gone

Reply Posted by Sharon Littlewood on Sunday October 16 2016 at 16:09
This is getting out of hand . My nieces are frightened and wont walk home near the woods and thinking they are coming to get them . I understand dressing up at Halloween is fun for children and adults but not dressing up as clowns and frightening everyone . I hope that people don't take it in there own hands to be vigilantes.

Reply Posted by mr d on Sunday October 16 2016 at 19:58
BARNSLEY IS FULL OF CLOWNS

Reply Posted by Aunt Hilda on Sunday October 16 2016 at 20:42
I even saw one at the circus! Flipping heck

Reply Posted by Amy on Sunday October 16 2016 at 21:00
Where are theses clowns in barnsley what area

Reply Posted by mummy on Sunday October 16 2016 at 22:29
aunt hilda .... it aint a laughing matter there are a lot off ppl scared

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Monday October 17 2016 at 08:56
The reaper is seeking these fiends and will deter them with my wrath

Reply Posted by Mum on Monday October 17 2016 at 08:58
This gets me soo mad if I was walking the streets to go somewhere and some stupid clow came up to me and tried scaring me with a knife i instinct would be to grab the knife off him and throw it at him there's all there stupid dressing up as glows and scarying people one of these day someone is going to turn around and hurt them my little brother wants to go trick of treating as a close and take a steal base ball bat with him so he doesn't get hurt why comes into people minds to do stuff like this it needs stopping before someone gets badly hurt

Reply Posted by nocomment on Monday October 17 2016 at 22:09
im 13, im scared of clowns me and my mate had a phone call from one the other day and my frind was catching the bus to mine and she saw one she ran all the way to the other side of monk bretton. I honetly think people that low should get jailed for life. Xx

Reply Posted by Xyz on Tuesday October 18 2016 at 20:21
It's a silly and nasty craze. I don't understand why anybody wants to dress up like that and scare people. What I truly don't understand though is people who say their kids can't sleep because of 'clowns', kids having nightmares and panic attacks??? How can that happen, unless they hear adults going on about it and causing alarm.
If kids are getting into a state about an imaginary threat, why not put things into perspective and show them what real nightmares are like for real children in Syria who are terrified out of their minds by real threats from bombs, night and day.

Reply Posted by tony on Wednesday October 19 2016 at 12:43
I think you Will find that all the children in school are talking about it and it is over the local newspapers etc. Yes parents are talking about it when there are ppl dressing up and jumping on pole cars like they are doin in sheff. The children that can't sleep are the children that arnt in secondary school yet so I think it is a bit unfair to show them what the real world is like with bombs and stuff. They do learn this stuff in school but children shouldn't be exposed to this war fare. Obviously you dont understand what children think if you don't understand why they can't sleep. Most children like to talk about scary stories and stuff but these clowns are making the stories a reality