Nearly 500 fines issued to term-time holiday parents

Wednesday August 31 2016

Parents who take their children out of school during term-time are reported to Barnsley Council Parents who take their children out of school during term-time are reported to Barnsley Council

NEARLY 500 fines were issued to parents who took their kids on term-time holidays during the last school year.

Figures show that 471 fines were issued to parents in Barnsley between September 2015 and August this year - an increase of 17 per cent on the previous 2014/15 academic year.

In Barnsley, parents wanting to take their children on holiday during term must apply for ‘leave of absence’ from their child’s school.

If the absence is not authorised with consent from the school, parents are reported to Barnsley Council which is obliged by government to fine a parent £60 per child, rising to £120 if it is not paid within 21 days.

This increased fine must be paid within 28 days or court action may be taken. In extreme circumstances, failure to pay the fine could result in prosecution with a maximum fine of £2,500 or a prison sentence of up to three months.

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday August 31 2016 at 18:31
This doesn't have to be paid. As a teacher in barnsley, all that a school / authority can do is send you an invoice.

DON'T PAY IT. The LA cannot do a thing about it.

Reply Posted by Bek on Wednesday August 31 2016 at 18:33
I have 2 kids we always go abroad and I take them during school time I would rather pay the school fine than extra money to holiday companies putting their prices up just because kids are off .

Reply Posted by Amy on Monday September 5 2016 at 12:41
Congratulations Bek, I am sure your kids will benefit from your financial budgeting skills and will always treasure the holidays they had in term time when their friends were in school.

Reply Posted by Robdought on Wednesday August 31 2016 at 20:43
What a nice little spin off to help fill them little brown envelopes.500 that's a lot I would like to ask BMBC How many other children was allowed to go on there hols in term time with there blessing.

Reply Posted by Me, Here, Now on Wednesday August 31 2016 at 22:04
Anyone handing out fines to teachers who holiday during term time??

Reply Posted by Amy on Monday September 5 2016 at 12:37
@ Me Here Now

What are you on about? Teachers never get paid holiday in term time. You will get a couple of days Leave of Absence if your parent, spouse or child dies. if you think this is a holiday then I feel sorry for you. There is unpaid leave of absence too, but if ever you take this as a teacher your working life is made a misery afterwards. In 30 years of teaching I personally have known 1 person who had a holiday in term time, she got a job in a school in April and explained she had a pre booked holiday in July.
what do you reckon you know about teachers and their 'holidays' that I don't know?
Tell us.

Reply Posted by Me, Here, Now on Monday September 5 2016 at 13:21
The fact YOU have only witnessed one example of a teacher taking leave in term time is not the point I was looking to make. There have been multiple reports of schools in the UK where teachers have taken leave, but the school has had the audacity to charge parents for doing the same thing. In my book that`s double standards, and the teachers in those instances should have led by example.
Please don`t feel sorry for me Amy, I am pleased to say I have no experience of teachers and their holiday - the job doesn`t pay enough.

Reply Posted by Amy on Monday September 5 2016 at 18:24
I asked you what you know about teachers and their 'holidays' and you replied that you have no experience of them. In other words, you know nothing. There have been multiple reports of UFOs over Yorkshire, as well as reports of schools where teachers 'have taken leave' (does that mean they have gone on holiday ? ) - multiple reports do not make something true. I think it is better if you leave things to the professionals and carry on with your 'job.'

Reply Posted by Me, Here, Now on Tuesday September 6 2016 at 11:12
Amy, you seem like an educated lady. Would you consider the coverage of the head teacher who took time off during term time to go abroad to watch World Cup football matches a holiday. This story had widespread coverage in the national media.
As I originally stated I`m not suggesting that this is widespread but it DOES happen, and there has to be a standard set and kept by the schools.
As your comments also seem to be quite personal now, for your information I got my university degree in business management, and the chances are that I now pay more in income tax than you earn.
I might be from Barnsley, but we`re not all idiots !!

Reply Posted by Amy on Tuesday September 6 2016 at 14:09
@ Me, Here, Now
Since you asked, I would consider the coverage in (some elements of) the press, regarding a headteacher in Leicester, as an intrusion. The headteacher in question was leaving the school and a new Headteacher was/is in place. I would regard his time off in July as unpaid leave of absence. Apologies, I did not think I was being personal. I do know that people from Barnsley are not idiots. I applaud you for your success and well done (??) for paying income tax (!!) which may be more than I earn, though I doubt it very much and can't see the point of you saying it...Barnsley folk eh?

Reply Posted by Me, Here, Now on Tuesday September 6 2016 at 18:32
Thank you for your apology Amy, and for the lively debate. I too apologise, I did not mean to undervalue your job or your earnings in any way.
I think in this instance we`ll have to agree to disagree about the original subject matter.
We in Barnsley are indeed a rare breed don`t you think !?!?

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Thursday September 1 2016 at 12:48
The reaper says the rules should apply to teaching staff too , at the moment it is not a level playing field . ONE RULE FOR SOME ANOTHER FOR OTHERS .
its just wrong .

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Thursday September 1 2016 at 21:08
Teachers rarely get term time off but why worry about facts eh?

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Friday September 2 2016 at 08:44
one is too many !

Reply Posted by dev on Friday September 2 2016 at 15:31
Wonder where the 30 grand plus is being spent !!

Reply Posted by Amy on Friday September 2 2016 at 19:23
Don't kids have enough holidays already, about 14 weeks, without parents needing to take them out of school at other times? Parents who want their cheapo holidays should pay if they get fined, as it's all about money with them in the first place.i feel sorry for the kids, I really do, they'd rather be with their pals in school.

Reply Posted by RSVP on Saturday September 3 2016 at 18:58
Some kids are hardly ever in school! There are school holidays every few weeks. Barnsley schools struggle to improve on exam results as it is, it doesn't help if kids are taken out of school just to get a cheap holiday somewhere. People who voted out of Europe in the Brexit vote need to think twice n' all, or do they think Ibiza and Benidorm aren't in Europe.

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Saturday September 3 2016 at 19:39
Thrash all offenders i say