Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Dog owners warned over algae

Tuesday August 16 2016


Dog owners warned over algae Dog owners warned over algae


DOG OWNERS are being warned to keep their dogs out of the water at a popular country park because of potentially fatal blue green algae.

Wakefield Council says high levels of the algae floating in the water at Pugneys Country Park has been caused by still and hot weather conditions.

Various vet groups say that dogs can develop poisoning from the algae when they drink it from water, or lick themselves after swimming in it.

This in turn has a toxic effect on the stomach and internal organs, which can be fatal.

Symptoms of poisoning include generalised weakness and lethargy, diarrhoea, laboured breathing and muscle tremors.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus