Council issues statement after missed bin collections

Monday July 25 2016

The council has issued a statement The council has issued a statement

BARNSLEY COUNCIL has issued a statement after several missed bin collections over the last week.

Locals have complained about missed collections in the town centre, Monk Bretton, Darfield and other areas of the town.

The council says it will collect the missed bins this week.

A statement read:

"We're really sorry but we haven't been able to empty some of the brown or green bins in certain areas. If you live in one of the areas below please leave your bins out and we will collect this week:

Brown Bins (glass, cans and plastic bottles)

• Monk Bretton
• Barnsley Town Centre
• Darfield
• Lundwood

We will also collect any additional glass, cans and plastic bottles if left out near your bin.

Green Bins (garden waste)

• Monk Bretton
• Barnsley Town Centre
• Thurnscoe
• Middlecliffe
• Kendray
• Goldthorpe
• Lundwood

Reply Posted by Emily on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:21
We live in wombwell and ours wasn't done either so I think they need to revise the list!

Reply Posted by Brian on Thursday July 28 2016 at 19:30
Yes, Royston should be on the list too (Green bins)

Reply Posted by Gemma malpass on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:22
But why have you they missed them?? I've been in touch with the council and they can't give me a reason why. Not good when you're having to clean tipped bins up.

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:17
Gemma
Probably all in the pub, or enjoying a crafty spliff!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by mick clay on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:34
I live in cudworth and the days seen to swap sometimes they have been 2 days late.

Reply Posted by TonyM on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:35
WHY have they not been collected, that's what i am interested in, not an halfassed apology

Reply Posted by Sue on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:35
What about Worsbrough green bin (full)

Reply Posted by Nick on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:39
Worsbrough Common missed green bin collection too .

Reply Posted by Vicki on Monday July 25 2016 at 17:50
We live in wardgreen and ours hasnt been emptied but not on the list ?

Reply Posted by Andrea on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:02
So if I don't turn in to work and simply return saying really sorry I didn't come in yesterday, with no rhyme or reason, I'm sure my boss would be OK
with that!!!

Reply Posted by victoria on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:03
Well by the sound of it if you worked for the council, it would be a good enough reason, almost any other company, you would then be given 'short shrift' and collecting your 'wages', from Peel Street in the form of 'the dole'! No I agree it isn't good enough!

Reply Posted by Fay orr on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:03
Missed bins .... That's an understatement!!!! and yet no explanation ! I was told on phone by waste control " we have had a lot of breakdowns " Hahahaha yeah right love why recycle when they don't collect Joke !!

Reply Posted by sharon on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:05
l think we should all be due to some compensation off our council tax for every day its not collected.....that may smarten them up to empty on time....we would be fined for leaving our bins out when emptied..... whats good for one is good for the other....time to smarten up BMBC

Reply Posted by K on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:06
Town centre bins , grey ones were missed last Tuesday too, they did do it the day after but I have to present my bin and due to bin thefts wait until they have done it, wasted a day waiting!!
Used the council website to complain, without reply. Poor service

Reply Posted by Cat woman on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:09
Our bins should be emptied on a Friday either recycle or grey bins and are emptied on a Saturday. This is in Hoyland Common

Reply Posted by Dean on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:19
What about Grimethorpe? Missed my greetings bin twice in a row now and was put out the night before it was due!

Reply Posted by Dean on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:20
What about Grimethorpe? Missed my green bin twice in a row now and was put out the night before it was due!

Reply Posted by Glenn Watson on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:38
Bank End, green bin not collected ! Why?
Eee, when I were a lad Bin men collected bin from your back garden, emptied them AND put them back ! Now they've got wheels on, we have to put them out and put them back if/when emptied. We have to put the correct rubbish in the correct bins or we are in bother! We do half the job for you!

Reply Posted by geoff grimshaw on Monday July 25 2016 at 18:47
what about green bins not collected highstone lane ward green last friday?

Reply Posted by victoria on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:01
Not exactly a reason as to why the collection was missed and I am not really holding out much hope that they will be collected this week, given that will be double the workload for the staff. It would have been nice to know why they weren't collected, rather than just a standard notice.

Reply Posted by Wayne on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:06
Green bins on Mount Vernon Road need to be emptied please ??.

Reply Posted by J on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:07
Never mate collecting council tax though

Reply Posted by J on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:08
Never late collecting council tax though stupid predictive text!

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:09
Bin collections missed 3 times here in 4 week period. Phoned council every time on same day of collection, no reason available. Last time I phoned I was told someone would phone me back, that was last Friday, I'm still waiting, with mine and other residents brown bins sat on road. This slap dash attitude of Barnsley council does little or nothing to instill the ethos of re cycling, or indeed the the appropriate disposal of waste in general thus increasing the risk of fly tipping. That aside we as residents have a contract with the council via our council tax payments for them to collect our waste.
I live in an area of town with low cost rented housing with many migrants moving into the area, it is bad enough trying to educate these individuals to take a pride in the upkeep of our area without the council leaving bins unemptied,leaving individuals to find alternative places to dump their rubbish.
So come on Barnsley council get a system in place where by at the very least if you cannot empty the bins on the day that you've agreed, we the residents get some communication as to why, and when they will be emptied.
PS.... I BET SIR STEVES HAS BEEN EMPTIED!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Ian on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:14
Blame it on Jeremy Corbin, he seems to be getting the blame for everything else.

Reply Posted by Davieboy on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 23:18
Ian,
I like the way you have mispelt CORBYN for CorBIN, like your sense of humour!

Reply Posted by Joe on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:19
This is a weekly event in monk Bretton. Friday is collecton day but usually emptied Saturday morning! This week green bin still waiting to be collected

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 14:57
YES , AND IF YOUR BIN GETS NICKED ITS NOT THE FAULT OF THE SHAMBOLIC COUNCIL !

Reply Posted by Sarah on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:19
It happened in Wombwell Back in June we didn't have our brown bin emptied. We had 8 weeks of rubbish for the the bin, there was bags everywhere

Reply Posted by diane Phillips on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:20
What about blue bins from a few weeks ago

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Monday July 25 2016 at 19:29
Statement states leave your bins out, and we'll collect them this week.

Should read....... Leave your bins out, and we,ll collect them this week, totally unannounced, leave them strewn on the roadside for your local pikey builder to steal, then we can charge you £20 to replace each bin, thus making even more money out of you suckers!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Philip Warsop on Monday July 25 2016 at 20:05
This is a regular thing for us in Lundwood so what's different this time for council to make a statement, can they just not admit the collections are crap

Reply Posted by Sarah on Monday July 25 2016 at 20:31
I live in smithies an my green bin as not been emptied

Reply Posted by stacey on Monday July 25 2016 at 20:31
what do we pay council tax for. where i live no footpaths,street lights and bins dint get emptied

Reply Posted by Charmaine on Monday July 25 2016 at 21:06
I live in ward green Barnsley our bins on our street hasn't been emptied it her. .

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday July 25 2016 at 21:22
BMBC statement should be "we ant collected thi bins caus were run my clueless theiving morons who couldn't organise a **** up in a brewery"

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 14:58
Thrash those responsible says the reaper

Reply Posted by Jayne on Monday July 25 2016 at 22:02
To be honest not good enough!!! Where is the explanation??? Our green bins have been out since last Thursday!!!! Wonder if I paid my council tax late & just said oh sorry I will pay it next week sometime would that be acceptable to bmbc??

Reply Posted by Me on Monday July 25 2016 at 22:51
I live in grimethorpe and last weeks grey bin was a day late. They seem to be following the tradition they have for green bin. Always a day late. We all understand the under funding (despite our council tax) but you need to provide a reliable and good service. I am only writing this comment in the home that the council will read

Reply Posted by Sun too hot on Monday July 25 2016 at 23:15
To be fair if your job involved running around in 30 degrees plus I think you could be forgiven if you got a little behind and yes I am a bin man before you say out just cut us some slack I think management should have told you the real reason that it WA just far too hot but thanks to residents that did give us some pop and water we do appreciate it and we realise why the Spanish collect bins at night and I am really sorry we haven't emptied your bins

Reply Posted by Steven Jones on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 09:42
Yes you do a stirling job Mr Bin Man, but I do wish that you would put the bin back where you found it.

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 15:02
OK Sun , i can buy into your reason on this , however we the tax payer should be informed as you state , sack the inept managers i say. PS . IT WOULD BE RATHER NICE IF THE BINS COULD BE RETURNED TO THE SPOT THEY WERE PICKED UP FROM , NOT 20 YARDS DOWN THE ROAD !!!

Reply Posted by Bones on Monday July 25 2016 at 23:32
Why don't all you moaners out there, come and try do our job, I bet 99 percent of you would **** off after a hour because it is too ****** hard for u,,so stop moaning and give us a break

Reply Posted by polly on Monday July 25 2016 at 23:50
Not your fault if the bin wagons keep breaking down, and several off them at the time. Council officials need to get the wagons sorted but they made people more angry by not giving out the reason why the bins weren't emptied

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 15:03
HOW VERY DARE YOU ! Mr Bones , the binmen in my day would p--s all over you lot .

Reply Posted by Paul on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 18:22
True reaper, it's all automated na. Back in day binmen came darn thi path n picked thi metal none wheeled bin up n carry it to bin wagon then carry it emptied back darn thi path. Next they'll be wanting hover boards to carry bins for them

Reply Posted by jules on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 21:41
Well said! You do a sterling job and I don't give a monkey's if my bin's late being emptied, especially in the weather you've had to work in this past week or so.Think we would all be up s**t creek without you!

Reply Posted by Backintheday on Wednesday July 27 2016 at 16:40
@ Paul
Back in the day there was hardly any rubbish anyway. We didn't have ridiculous packaging for the smallest item from a supermarket. Fresh food, fresh veg, fresh meat...glass bottles from pop, you took back to get a penny. 'Ready meals'...? What's that then. Everything we bought we ate and grew our own veg too. food scraps went to men who kept pigs. Our 'cleaning materials' did not mean 10 different spray cleaners and similar crap. Stop moaning about ur 3 different colour bins being emptied, you should be ashamed having that much waste.

Reply Posted by Curt on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 00:01
Princess street in town needs doing all my bins are full

Reply Posted by Michael on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 00:30
It's OK they empty 90% of my Estate and left the other 10% of brown bins because not everyone had put them out so instead of actually going to collect the bin they just left those that might make them work on the estate for an extra couple of minutes

Reply Posted by Micha on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 00:36
And those bin men saying it's to hot as it's an excuse to be behind. I'm sorry but go work in a kitchen or somewhere where it is 35c plus everyday and then complain that your work load should be relax no thanks it doesn't work that way

Reply Posted by You what? on Wednesday July 27 2016 at 16:44
Micha! If you work in a kitchen where it's 35c plus every day then you are a mug and need to join a union, those temperatures are not acceptable.

Reply Posted by Lol on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 06:26
Not bad when all you've got to moan about is some bins being missed. My bin was missed but collected day after. I've got too much on to be worrying about council collecting my bins. Some people need to put things into perspective.

Reply Posted by Daniel Slater on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 06:57
I don't think it's about simply missing to collection, even if they came on the correct day... I live in monk bretton and collection is Friday morning, not for last 3 weeks it's beenSaturday morning,
no notice of chance bins left out on street smelling, is the council going to advice residents, I pay my council tax for a quality service so do the people of Barnsley and this areas and feel the council should update is of the correct days and reason for change. Please don't use brexit as a excuse

Reply Posted by John on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 07:10
WOW folks! Listen to yourselves. It's a friggin bin. Stop it with your whining and moaning. The pure definition of "Sad" - get a life!

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 15:05
Hey John Boy , if you reach the age of 89 lets see you drag your FULL bin up and down a steep drive , i suggest you get a brain !!

Reply Posted by Get help on Wednesday July 27 2016 at 17:09
@grimreaper

If anyone is elderly and struggling to push their bins etc they can get them collected from outside their door. Get somebody to contact the council for you.
Also, at that age, it is very sad how much rubbish you generate.....

Reply Posted by Dawn on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 07:12
Monk Bretton been late every week, I read on another post that bin men have been ringing in sick! Well with how long it's been going on you would think that the council would employ more bin men, my opinion is it's very poor organisation in the waste management department

Reply Posted by Bridie O Brien on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 07:41
I live in Ardsley and we have very little problems with waste bin collections, and I find the bin men collectors very pleasant and helpful

Reply Posted by A on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 08:01
Wednesday is bin day in Carlton but this has been (on a regular occurrence) especially for the green bin one or even two days after.

Reply Posted by Rebecca cherry on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 08:44
It's getting a regular occurrence now. I live in Grimethorpe and for past 3 times they've been late collecting the bins. It's a joke.

Reply Posted by terry on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 09:45
might have all have failed the new drink and drug test

Reply Posted by Marcus Petrovic on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 11:47
Thank you Barnsley Council, My bins all emptied on the correct day, Maybe the council are afraid to enter some of the deprived areas,

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Wednesday July 27 2016 at 07:53
Ahhh Mr PETROVIC , You appear to have preferential status , why is this i wonder ???

Reply Posted by !!!! on Wednesday July 27 2016 at 17:12
Grimreaper

Time wasting unpleasant person!

Reply Posted by R Thompson on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 13:03
Nothing unusual in this - after all MonkBretton is the land that time forgot !!!!!!- ps check the grass so called cutting- disgraceful

Reply Posted by Mike Newton on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 14:04
Members of the public are fined for leaving the bins out. Councillors and managers should also be fined. A bit like the government and bankers though. One rule for us and whoops if they do it. Couldn't organise a p... up in a brewery. I have been a socialist all my life but it's time we got these idiots out of office.

Reply Posted by Jonathan Austin on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 14:32
My bins are ok. But my Nan and grandads bin was stolen a few weeks back and you are disgraceful to try make them pay £20 for another!!!! They will not be doing so and the rubbish will be piling up on the front of her lawn until another one is delivered free of charge. Top of high street across from old butchers pub. Christiana Austin.....deal with it!!!

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 14:55
A few sackings and some thrashings seem to be in order . BMBC = SHAMBOLIC

Reply Posted by Steven James on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 16:15
But the people of this once proud town keep voting the Labour CLOWNS in time after time after time do they expect anything less?

Reply Posted by Anna woollands on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 16:13
It is disgusting that bins aren't emptied why spend hundreds or thousands of pounds on statues when obviously they need new trucks it is disgusting and Cudworth grey bins haven't been emptied in a week

Reply Posted by Doris on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 16:18
It's green bin day today for us, its still sitting out the back where my husband put it at 9pm last night. Contents still intact!! Oh, ours is the bin tapped up with grey tape cos there is no way we are paying £20 for a new one!! The bin men/ lorry did the damage so council pay! If you damage something belonging to someone, you either repair it OR replace it?? Fair does? That is, unless you are BMBC!!!! Get the lot out at the next local election, stop being sheep!!

Reply Posted by Jane clegg on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 17:27
So sorry if we don't pay council tax on time then????? Monk bretton too hot! Try my job mate!

Reply Posted by Bob smith on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 22:21
Hey here's a thought why don't you lot who are not having your bins emptied, take em up to barnabas close ( Honeywell ) because they have em done every week !!!!!

Reply Posted by Tony Lawson on Wednesday July 27 2016 at 09:02
Green bins havent been done on Peel Street, Worsbrough Common.

Reply Posted by Michael J Thacker on Thursday July 28 2016 at 05:24
@you what.

A standard working kitchen temperature varies between 20-40 degrees, it's not been called a mug it's called doing a job it's like soldiers been sent abroad in extreme weather to their line of duty and them refusing because it's hot. Do they complain no and neither to chefs etc because it's their job you work what ever the weather and heat. Only difference is make sure you drink fluids end of

Reply Posted by Anonymous on Thursday July 28 2016 at 17:15
@Michael J Thacker
I think you will find its got nothing to do with anyone not doing there job because of the heat, but because of not having enough wagons to do the job in the first place, because of council cut backs and not having spare wagons to cover for break downs theres absolutely nothing more the bin men could have done over the last few weeks

Reply Posted by Dave D on Thursday July 28 2016 at 19:34
Let's be fair, Barnsley Council are useless in just about everything they do.

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Friday July 29 2016 at 10:53
Fair comment Dave D.

Reply Posted by brian on Thursday July 28 2016 at 21:25
i live off Carlton Rd in Smithies and none of our bins have been emptied on a Friday for months, its always 1 - 3 days late. Is BMBC happy for us to leave them out all the time just in case they turn up unannounced and let them pick up the bill for any that get damaged or go missing. I suspect not. If vehicles are broken down there are companies that can be sub contracted to empty bins and keep to schedules.

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Tuesday August 2 2016 at 08:49
Left green bin out all week as advised by bmbc - ANOTHER BROKEN PROMISE -STILL FULL , NOT EMPTIED . THEY ARE A USELESS SET OF W----------S
We should protest as one and withold a portion of council tax , they might attempt to get there act together !!

Reply Posted by Lynne Turner on Thursday August 4 2016 at 20:45
This happened last week too wo my grey bin and now this week it is the green and brown bin and I live in thurnscoe some have been emptied and some not can u please tell me y this keeps happening thank you Mrs turner

Reply Posted by mrs lynn hopper on Thursday August 4 2016 at 21:16
Our brown bin is full and not on the above list to be emptied. Bins that are left out if not emptied are being vandalised and rubbish tipped out. Nightmare!!!

Reply Posted by Neil Falkingham on Thursday August 4 2016 at 22:09
thurnscoe..
cant remember when my brown bin was emptied,when are collections going to be made.
leaving bins
out in the pavement is an abstruction to pushchairs etc..causing them in some cases to be pushed out into the road...just leaving the bins out just incase they might get emptied one day is not right at all...

Reply Posted by TooHotMyArse on Tuesday August 16 2016 at 02:11
Oh better bring the squaddies in too hot for them to work, oh and the gardeners and the office staff and every other trade lol poxy excuse for the wage they're on, they'll be using opposite excuse soon... Too wet.. Too windy.. Its not like they're personally lifting the bins because the lorry does it all for you so essentially your just pulling a bin to the truck! You want us to walk in your shoes? Post your job on DWP site there's a problem with employment around here I'm sure plenty people would be happy to take your place instead of nmw like most other places

Reply Posted by Zena Ibbotson on Thursday September 22 2016 at 20:38
You also missed my blue bin in royston last wensday 14th of sept i did complain and reported twice still didnt get empty in end i pay for a service i pay my council tax s not happy mine was only one on street that didnt get empted i want this solving or i will go higher av had no expaintion at all