Smoke-free zones could come to Barnsley

Thursday July 21 2016

Parks could become smoke-free Parks could become smoke-free

PARTS of Barnsley - including areas of the town centre - could become smoke-free after a report was submitted to Barnsley Council recommending the introduction of smoke-free zones.

The report by senior public health officers outlines a planned initiative that will aim to introduce smoke-free zones in areas of the town centre, along with smoke-free play parks.

The long term aim would be to make all 24 main play parks in the town smoke-free.

Other suggestions for smoke-free zones include hospital grounds and school gates.

The smoke-free zones would be managed through a voluntary code and there would be no enforcement action. The report also proposes public consultation takes place.

Coun Jim Andrews, Cabinet spokesperson for Public Health, said: “Children and young people are influenced by adult behaviour and are less likely to start smoking if they do not view it as a normal part of everyday life. As smoking becomes less visible and less of a social norm it will reduce smoking uptake by children and young people.”

Coun Andrews added that as well as ensuring smoking becomes almost invisible to protect children’s health, smoke-free town centre zones would also contribute to creating a town that was attractive, safe and welcoming.

Reply Posted by Patricia McDermott on Thursday July 21 2016 at 15:58
Hope that ban is extended to all pubs otherwise you will just move the proble. Will it include cannabis which can be inhaled in every street. Family pubs have gardens where parents both drink and smoke. Loud music damages childrens hearing all severe health issues. Do this clinically and properly not just to town centre

Reply Posted by Dean on Thursday July 21 2016 at 16:28
Lets just tell the kids to stay in their rooms? You cant protect kids from everything, if you do, the first time they arent protected they will do something stupid.

Making kids more aware is better than banning parents.

Reply Posted by Ex smoker on Monday July 25 2016 at 14:07
Dean, no of course kids shouldn't say in their rooms but how on earth is it a good alternative to go to pubs with gardens and be surrounded by smokers and adults getting bevvied. You would think it puts kids off but it doesn't, if they see that's what their parents do, they will copy it.

Reply Posted by Sue on Thursday July 21 2016 at 18:47
Took my elderly dad to BDGH for an appointment, had to walk through a group of smokers in their pyjamas, dressing gowns and slippers, puffing away near the entrance. Horrible. Ban smoking from around the doors where everyone has to walk through. Also what a filthy habit shuffling about in slippers sitting on walls then going back into the hospital. I think they should be made to put their outdoor clothes on to go outside.

Reply Posted by Annie on Thursday July 21 2016 at 23:09
@ Sue
I used to take my elderly father for appointments until he passed away 2 years ago aged 92. I have never been a smoker, he was until he was 40 so went 52 years without smoking. He still felt sorry for the patients who were smoking outside and didn't judge. so long as they use the antibacterial hand gel when they hope back in, I guess it's OK, they are on the same basis as visitors from outside. When my father was a patient on the various wards in his last year, I saw some really filthy looking visitors but to be honest it was the least of our problems. Live and let live, if you possibly can.

Reply Posted by Sue on Friday July 22 2016 at 16:34
@Annie
I haven't got a problem with the smokers smoking elsewhere in the hospital grounds, just don't smoke bang outside the entrance/doors where people have no choice but to walk through.
I still think it's a filthy habit smoking outside in your bedclothes, let's have some standards, and pride in ourselves and how we look.
I agree there are some grubby visitors but let's try and keep it to a minimum, why add to the problem.
I try not to judge and agree live and let live but you've got to admit some people are just scruffs, they shouldn't need telling to get a wash and get some clean clothes on.

Reply Posted by KR on Thursday July 21 2016 at 20:15
So smoke free town centre, while I despise smoking, let's kick an already challenging town centre by keeping smokers away??? Pubs and clubs will love that when punters go elsewhere, shoppers likewise, well thought out !!!

Reply Posted by Peter Lant on Thursday July 21 2016 at 20:24
as usual the council have their finger of the pulse of the comunity, where ever you go in the town centre if you actually open your eyes you will see that the vast majority of people don't smoke. It just happens that smoking is more noticeable near the public houses because smokers have to go outside. Banning smoking outside public houses would be ringing last orders for many of our pubs.

Reply Posted by s on Thursday July 21 2016 at 21:38
So does that mean the enforcement officers would be out of work as that is who they wait for to drop there tabs

Reply Posted by Liam on Friday July 22 2016 at 09:41
They should ban smoking altogether it's a discusting habit or Evan better make it illegal nobody like to smell smokers as they walk by or breath there crap in all smoker smell horrible that all you can smell when your around one fag breath ban smokeing altogether

Reply Posted by Steven James on Friday July 22 2016 at 10:01
Don't be silly Liam, the government would NEVER ban it as they make BILLIONS of pounds tax on tobacco products.

Perhaps we should ban Mcdonalds and KFC, Or EVERY take away to stop people becoming obese?

Reply Posted by Big T on Friday July 22 2016 at 11:38
Fat people doesnt affect anyone else. Smokers blowing smoke everywhere stinks and does affect others. Not the same comparison.
I'm all for a ban on the vile habit. Its a filthy habit for dirty scrubbers.

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Friday July 22 2016 at 14:04
They do on aircraft !!! , Fatties crush you and they perspire due the fatness , rather unsavoury all roun i say.

Reply Posted by Michelle on Friday July 22 2016 at 12:43
Smoking may be a filthy habit, but for those who do smoke it is there choice. The government will never ban it as already said they make most of there return in taxes from it. As for people smoking at hospitals in pajamas, seriously.. How do you expect the elderly and frail who use walking aids and wheel chairs to change into normal clothes before going outside? They have pajamas on so what it's not like there stark naked is it. There is much more to life than to sit around and moan about who does what!!

Reply Posted by Sue on Tuesday July 26 2016 at 19:39
You can't educate pork.

Reply Posted by thegrimreaper on Friday July 22 2016 at 14:02
The reaper supports this action , Smoking is a filthy , stinking vile habit .

Reply Posted by Brittle asthmatic on Saturday July 23 2016 at 03:39
I welcome a ban on smoking in shopping areas in the town centre, I have severe brittle asthma and haven't been able to shop in the town for fear of smoke causing a potentially life threatening asthma attack. Despite maximal treatment I still have frequent hospital stays and in order to get into the hospital I have to get through the wall of smoke at the doors and hope none of it has drifted inside although most of the time it has. Now here's the kicker, according to the many signs around the hospital site, smoking is not permitted on hospital grounds at BDGH. It is, however, a common sight for people to be sat directly underneath the no smoking signs puffing away, after which they go back to wards with the smoke clinging to their clothing/pyjamas the exacerbate the symptoms of anyone on the ward who is susceptible.

I also think it's a good thing to exclude smoking from children's play areas. Children's lungs are still developing and so are particularly vulnerable to the effects of smoking, why expose them to avoidable risks. As an adult I can find it difficult to tell people their smoke is affecting me and I was there first plus there is an alternative area to smoke in, (fair is fair) so I suspect that very few children would have the confidence to challenge an adult if they were uncomfortable

Reply Posted by Tim on Sunday July 24 2016 at 20:53
I wonder how many of you moaners are ex smokers you should just listen to yourselves if people wants to smoke then that's their choice people have smoked for many years and don't have to listen to jumped up councils that are still wet behind the ears telling people what they can and can't do

Reply Posted by Ex smoker on Monday July 25 2016 at 14:00
@ Tim I am an ex smoker and stopped 20 years ago. I wish I had never smoked at all, every winter when I get a cold plus a cough that lasts for months. This is due only to smoking for the previous 18 years. Anything that discourages people from smoking is a good thing. I have spent time in hospitals with my father Who had been a miner but not a smoker and the state of people with lung damage was terrifying. it might be their choice but anything Dan stop you from ending your days fighting for breath and coughing up your lungs surrounded by overworked staff then I support it.

Reply Posted by Mr C on Monday July 25 2016 at 13:42
I bet this will be another way of fining people in town centre, I don't smoke but it's just being used as a excuse to get money out of people everyone has stopped dropping tabs in front of the gestapo so now it's time to invent another way of extorting

ipso Regulated