New HS2 plans suggest route won't pass through Barnsley

Thursday July 7 2016

The new route (in purple) suggests the HS2 line won't pass through Barnsley as originally planned (in orange) The new route (in purple) suggests the HS2 line won't pass through Barnsley as originally planned (in orange)

NEW PLANS for the controversial HS2 railway line suggest the route will no longer pass through Barnsley.

The HS2 is a planned high speed railway that will link London, Birmingham, the East Midlands, Leeds, Sheffield and Manchester.

The original plan (in orange) showed the line would pass through Hoyland Common, Ardsley, Lundwood, Shafton and Cudworth.

But a newly suggested route (in purple) indicates the nearest the line will come to Barnsley is east of Goldthorpe and Thurnscoe, with the route heading towards the M18 between Doncaster and Rotherham.

The company behind the plans, HS2 Limited, says the newly proposed route could save £1 billion - however, the final decision on the route lies with the Transport Secretary, Patrick McLoughlin.

Councillor Sir Steve Houghton CBE, leader of Barnsley Council, has welcomed the plans.

He said: “We welcome the announcement of the new HS2 rail plans for the Sheffield City Region.

“This is a great opportunity for Barnsley. We’re seeing positive changes within the Sheffield City Region; employment and housing growth is thriving and Barnsley has a key part to play in this. The Northern Powerhouse Rail Network route will support our long-term plans to provide a thriving and vibrant economy, creating better conditions, infrastructure and stimulating the growth of more and better jobs and homes.

"It’s important to stress that we’ll be working closely with HS2 and the Department for Transport to develop how improved rail speeds and services will be achieved in linking up the major towns in the region, as well as the wider HS2 connectivity to London and other cities.

“We'll continue to work closely with partners in the region to consider the details of the newly proposed route, as well as actively supporting the development of the parkway station on the main HS2 line to Leeds, working on the benefits this will bring to Barnsley and Doncaster as well as the wider region.”

Reply Posted by max on Thursday July 7 2016 at 16:34
It was never going to have a station, so this is a good thing. Unless we get a Goldthorpe interchange!!

Reply Posted by Dangerous on Thursday July 7 2016 at 18:00

I totally agree Max, not sure about Goldthorpe though lol

Reply Posted by mick on Thursday July 7 2016 at 18:11
Is is me or does Sir Steve Houghton talk absolute bo@#~CKS

Reply Posted by Ray on Friday July 8 2016 at 11:25
Mick it's definitely not you, however his statement is more aimed at the benefits for Sheffield, don't forget he's currently touting himself to be the mayor of South Yorkshire hence the mention of Sheffield City Region - the captial of south yorkshire will be Sheff.

Barnsley and surrounding towns will see no benefit whatsoever I find it quite disturbing that some people will be forced out of their own homes without

Reply Posted by Coachman on Thursday July 7 2016 at 18:53
The HS2 is coming no where near Barnsley so how can "Sir" I'm a Republican Steve Houghton say it's good for us. The valley between Wombwell and Worsbrough Dale is safe from this hideous plan.

Reply Posted by Jamie on Thursday July 7 2016 at 20:02
The new plan makes the new line go straight through my new home on the shimmer estate in mexborough. I have only been living here 6 days

Reply Posted by Andy on Thursday November 17 2016 at 19:12
they will pay full market price plus 20% you must be rubbing your hands together!!!

Reply Posted by Christine on Thursday July 7 2016 at 20:42
Great, so much for the Northern powerhouse, the train now passes the sixth largest city in England!

Reply Posted by PRD on Thursday July 7 2016 at 22:19
I am sick to death of hearing about the HS2. All you hear is mourning sheffielders whinging because the station might be in meadowhall instead of the city centre. god forbid they have to travel 5min to catch the dam thing. well guess what Sheffield HS2 is not just for you lot. I know sheffielders think Sheffield is the centre of the universe but it is not. I am glad it is not coming to Barnsley if Barnsley folk want to use it its only going to be 30min away so whats the problem.

Reply Posted by Dave G on Saturday July 9 2016 at 02:25
Hands up all those who will be using this service .. thought not .. that'll be nobody then .. who cares where it goes .. doesn't make any difference at all to us plebs ..

Reply Posted by Alan B on Saturday July 9 2016 at 22:23
No, but it may matter to your son/daughter or grandson/granddaughter.

Reply Posted by Dave G on Sunday July 10 2016 at 09:55
Both you and me know that the chances of that are very slim .. besides, does getting to London 20 minutes quicker than it does now, justify spending countless billions to do so make sense ? I think not. The money could be better spent elsewhere.

Reply Posted by Alan B on Sunday July 10 2016 at 18:50
One word springs to mind: Luddite.

Reply Posted by Dave G on Sunday July 10 2016 at 19:16
Funny that .. i got a word that sprang to my mind as well when i read your last comment .. it's a bit more modern than the word you used from the 1800s though : Ludicrous.

Reply Posted by Ray on Tuesday July 12 2016 at 13:29
Fantastic - Someone calling someone else a Luddite for questioning the investment of 50 odd billion pounds on a technology that has hardly changed since Victorian times.

I doth my cap to thee sir.

Reply Posted by Dave G on Tuesday July 12 2016 at 22:00
:-) you've made my day Ray .. Poem not intended ..

Reply Posted by Davieboy on Sunday July 10 2016 at 11:04
People should not worry about this, because HS2 will never happen! If it gets off the ground it will never get any where near the North, it may get to Birmingham.
A complete waste of money, the goverment says people from London can get to the so called Northern Powerhouse 30 minutes quicker , what they mean people from the North can get to London quicker. They don't give a damn about the North, and never will.

Reply Posted by Alan B on Sunday July 10 2016 at 18:54
With regard to your comments about the north in the last line, I agree with you. However, what are our MP's doing? To my way of thinking we ought to elect an MP from a different party as successive Labour ones have clearly failed us.

Reply Posted by Dave G on Sunday July 10 2016 at 19:18
You should stand as an MP yourself Alan B .. I'm sure loads of people would vote for you, you know everything .. I'm sure you wouldn't fail us ..

Reply Posted by Alan B on Monday July 11 2016 at 20:40
I certainly wouldn't knowingly fail you, but sadly I don't know everything. Perhaps you should look elsewhere for an alternative candidate.

Reply Posted by Dave G on Tuesday July 12 2016 at 22:02
Err i hope you're not taking this the wrong way ,but i was intentionally being sarcastic. surely you're not that deluded .

Reply Posted by PRD on Sunday July 10 2016 at 22:21
to Alan B.why will it matter to my son and daughter. Sheffield and Barnsley are still only going to be 30min apart in 30yrs time. but I am sure you have the answer o wise one, you seem to have the answer to everthing else. so please share with the rest of us. ON SECOND THOUGHTS DONT BOTHER.

Reply Posted by Alan B on Monday July 11 2016 at 20:41
You are Dan Jarvis and I claim my prize!

Reply Posted by Dave G on Tuesday July 12 2016 at 21:13
Alan B .. What's that supposed to mean ? .. did i miss something ?? Have you been drinking ??