Children's bus fares to increase

Wednesday July 6 2016

Childrens bus fares will increase Childrens bus fares will increase

CHILDREN'S bus fares will increase in Barnsley from September.

The South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) has announced that single child concessionary fares in South Yorkshire will increase by 10p - from 70p to 80p - on September 18, 2016.

Children in Barnsley aged between five and 18 who have a Mi Card can still travel for 60p - but the scheme is scheduled to discontinue in 2017/18.

The SYPTE says an £8.5m (10%) cut in South Yorkshire’s 2016/17 public transport budget has forced the increase.

It added: "The reduction reflects resource and financial pressures across the local authorities that fund SYPTE."

Reply Posted by Faye brown on Wednesday July 6 2016 at 15:40
What about mi card prices

Reply Posted by unknow on Wednesday July 6 2016 at 16:38
Start charging for pushchairs they are getting too big for buses I.e 70p per journey

Reply Posted by Anna on Wednesday July 6 2016 at 17:34
Can some of the extra income pay for somebody extra to keep an eye on the teenagers that use the interchange as a play ground in the evening. They can be intimidating

Reply Posted by Kimberley Brown on Thursday July 7 2016 at 09:01
I agree with you they Anna the youngsters think is a playground

Reply Posted by ?!?! on Thursday July 7 2016 at 10:21
Don't agree wi ur comment about charging for pushchairs that's basicly charging babies to travel... What about charging OAP's child's fee to travel instead of free pass

Reply Posted by unknown on Thursday July 7 2016 at 17:06
Pushchairs can take two seats up and also prams do also think about full paying passengers who have to stand up yes I do think pushchairs should pay a contribution

Reply Posted by unknown on Thursday July 7 2016 at 17:30
Would you start putting your pram down for an elderly person ie 90 year old or would you make them stand up

Reply Posted by Wayne on Thursday July 7 2016 at 19:09
Why don't they charge the kids half fare like west Yorkshire the kids there get on the bus pay half fare no questions asked and are polite and sit down and not a word or argument and none around the towns after 9pm

Reply Posted by Steph on Friday July 8 2016 at 07:03
Am sorry but everyone has a right to sit on a bus. There's young people out their that would need to sit down but you don't see an old women or man standing up for them when they are completely fine. If your that bad at stand why take a bus in the first place knowing you may have to stand why not get a taxi. And as for prams are you going to hold a 3 week old baby on a bus while you but your pram down and carry all your shopping no I don't think so not easy you know but then by sounds of it you hadn't got a baby so how would you know and why i's it always adulls or kids fares going up why not start charging pensioners and then the bus company wouldn't be out of pocket seen as all pensons have enough money to go in to town every day at week and the cheeky ******* wait till 9 to get on bus for free think it's disgusting there just like the rest of us. Bang out of order

Reply Posted by Robyn on Friday July 8 2016 at 10:18
The prices of bus fare already takes the p*** as a 5 minute journey can cost £2 and now your telling us that its because of financial reasons for the increase there is no way that they are struggling with the amount of money they charge and with how many people actually use the buses! Its ridiculous they need to at least have set prices because the prices differ from different drivers for the same journey which is out of order.

When I started secondary school in 2001 the bus fare was 33p and now its gonna be 60p? There is more people in the world than there was then so more people use the bus which equals more money so the reason that they are struggling is a load of c***

Everyone should be treat equally and if pensioners get a free pass then it should come out of their weekly pension to pay for it as thats why they paid money in to their pension fund to pay for stuff like that.

And as for getting rid of the Mi card thats wrong too as people who go to school or college cant always afford to pay full fare everyday and afford their dinner.

And people with pushchairs should stop expecting people to move for them everyone has a right to be sat down I understand that sometimes moving is the curteous thing to do as for a small baby but the looks and attitude you get when they cant get on the bus is absolutely out of order, on a bus as when I was 8 months pregnant and had my 4 month old nephew in a pram I was expected to move for a non paying person and then when I didnt move was verbally abused for it. A lot of the older generation need to learn to have respect for the younger ones then the youngers ones would be more inclined to give the same respect back!

Reply Posted by unknown on Friday July 8 2016 at 13:01
Would you expect a 90 year old to stand up who has had three strokes.
At the end of the day everyone should have the right to sit down as they pay bus fares.

Reply Posted by an on Friday July 8 2016 at 15:08
Regards steph comment. Im not a pensioner but in my days you put your pram down and got on the bus carrying the baby the buggy and the shopping (no tesco delivery for us) if you was lucky some kind person would offer to help. These easy access bus are suppose to be for disabled and wheelchairs not bloody lazy young mothers and buggys. As for pensioners paying a fare yes i agree nothing is for free and everybody should pay.

Reply Posted by life is unfair on Friday July 8 2016 at 16:05
lots of old folk who worked all their lives never got to have free passes, half of todays old folk have never put a pair of work boots on in their lives; so why should they get free travel?

Reply Posted by unknown on Friday July 8 2016 at 21:01
My grandma and grandad work all there lives .so they deserve to have free travel.

Reply Posted by Realist on Saturday July 9 2016 at 10:45
Why are they more deserving than anyone else ?

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday July 9 2016 at 10:46
Last time I got on a bus is was 2p, those where the days !!!!

Reply Posted by Jas on Saturday July 9 2016 at 12:09
Charge for bus chairs well how about charge for wheel chairs and shopping trolleys then I won't mind bus fair going up but they never run on time and bus drivers are ignorant to passengers and comments about push chairs and oap are discussing there are single ppl out there travelling with new norms there not gunna hold there baby well putting it down and wouldn't see ppl helping as there is a lot of selfish ppl about and I think they have enough of our money they need to look at treating everyone as equals this is why the system is falling

Reply Posted by megan on Saturday July 9 2016 at 12:12
Will there still be smart cards?

Reply Posted by Ann on Saturday July 9 2016 at 13:14
Robyn you say a 5 min bus fare cost£2 why not try walking then instead of paying for a short journey

Reply Posted by unknown on Saturday July 9 2016 at 19:37
At the end of the day we should all be caring and we should look after each other.

Reply Posted by Unknown on Saturday July 9 2016 at 21:10
Hahaha lazy young mothers. I love that term, I get on bus as my partner works away I have a two year old and a 8 month old in alittle buggy, I'm polite and have manners and have been brought up to respect my elders it's just the older generation have become so stereotypical of the younger generation and as I look a lot younger than what I actually am I often get looks of disappointment from the older generation, rudeness and quite honestly have now lost quite a lot of respect for em. Point a matter is ill pay for my pushchair when older people have to pay, and I think it would be pretty unsafe to have a two year old and a wriggling 8 month old on my knee and seems as my two year old doesn't have to pay she int actually entitled to a seat. People are so ignorant these days.

Reply Posted by unknow on Saturday July 9 2016 at 21:41
When I was growing up no 1 we had manners to stand up for elderly people if you want to take a pram or pushchairs make a contribution they sometimes take two seats up silver cross prams are not made for buses

Reply Posted by Unknown on Saturday July 9 2016 at 22:05
Well it's a good job I don't have a silver cross pram then int it. Like I said a buggy and like I said I will put the safety of my children before the ignorance of our peoples thoughts. I'm guessing your not a parent.

Reply Posted by unknown on Saturday July 9 2016 at 22:21
Excuse me but you can't judge us as you don't know our circumstances.

Reply Posted by Liam on Sunday July 10 2016 at 09:16
Well I got to say I think people should move for a pram and of day a babies safty should come before anything else and of day there defenceless so moving is the right thing to do. And if there is no seats an a oap can stand then they should first come first served end of day
Only move for someone ago clearly had problem standing or disabled people seem to think oap's have a right to somones seat and of day we all equal

Reply Posted by Annette on Sunday July 10 2016 at 11:31
The council choose what they are going to subsidise. If fares were cheaper, it would keep more cars off the roads and reduce emissions....isn't that a good reason?
I have always disagreed with children having to pay to access school; even at 60p a journey, this adds up to £6 a week, a large chunk of money a month, and thats for one child. It's always been more economical for me to drive my kinds to school, but then we get criticised for traffic issues on the 'school run'.
I don't understand why pensioners get free travel at all.....if we all shared the costs, it would help everyone.
Barnsley council needs to re-evaluate it's financial priorities.

Reply Posted by amanda on Sunday July 10 2016 at 12:12
u know y this is happenin beause bus station falling to pieces they need money to do it up

Reply Posted by Troll on Sunday July 10 2016 at 12:32
Why shouldn't you pay for your kids to use the bus we had to pay for ours. They do have legs you know ever heard about walking with your prays an kids like we had to do. Or otherwise fold up your prams!! As for the parents of the obnoxious little trolls that infest th bus station swearing every other word SORT your kids out other people are sick to the back teeth of the horrible little brats. Same goes for the bigger youths hanging about town set the hose pipe on them.

Reply Posted by OAP on Sunday July 10 2016 at 12:33
Just so you all know. The council are subsidised by the government, to allow us to travel for free. mothers of school age children get family allowance for each child. Wouldn't it be a good idea to allocate so much each week for bus fares? It is meant to be spent on the children afterall?

Reply Posted by clarke on Sunday July 10 2016 at 13:22
I think senior citizens should pay so much may be same as children. Or £1. If funds are low this is better than cutting a lot of services.

Reply Posted by Troll on Sunday July 10 2016 at 15:15
Here we go again the usual snowflake generation moaners we can't get our own way so make the pensioners pay. You have young legs use them. Loads of you young ones have money to burn on stupid designer labels so you can afford to pay your way with a simple bus fare stop moaning. Leave the oldies alone some can barely walk you will be old yourself before you know it.

Reply Posted by fred on Sunday July 10 2016 at 16:47
My grandma does pay full fare.how do you expect a 90 to walk to town and back.

Reply Posted by Fleetwood on Monday July 11 2016 at 00:53
Robyn - congratulations, you have won this week's award for dumbest person on the internet.

ipso Regulated