Teachers set to strike

Friday June 24 2016

NUT members will strike NUT members will strike

TEACHERS in Barnsley will strike early next month over pay, working conditions and school funds.

National Union of Teachers (NUT) members across the country will walk out on Tuesday, July 5, after 91 per cent of members who voted backed strike action.

The last national teachers strike, in July 2014, was highly disruptive to both parents and children, as around a fifth of schools across England and Wales were forced to close.

Reply Posted by Frank on Friday June 24 2016 at 16:15
Over 90% of those who voted were in favour of strike action. Only 25% of NUT members voted. That means that 75% of NUT members couldn't even be bothered to vote. What a chuffing joke they all are, or perhaps they were busy being over-worked?

Reply Posted by Davieboy on Saturday June 25 2016 at 16:56
One wonders if they will be fined £60.
Just a thought.

Reply Posted by Steveob80 on Saturday June 25 2016 at 17:48
Can parents fine the schools for them having to pay to get someone in to watch the kids or them having to take time off work? No thought not, it only works one way.

Reply Posted by Sussie on Saturday June 25 2016 at 20:20
Has a school cleaner my teacher's who I clean ther classes are still there at 5 30 take work home nearly every nite plus weekends so parents think before you start slagging them off

Reply Posted by Mike on Saturday June 25 2016 at 20:21
Teachers should be fined for going on strike and be forced to compensate families for the expenses they incur for kids being forced of school during term time

Reply Posted by ABC on Tuesday June 28 2016 at 19:07
teachers will be going on strike regarding pay, working conditions and school funding. they will lose a day's pay, of course. Parents who have to make arrangements for their children on that day realise how important teachers are and many support the teachers anyway. if you want to compare teachers going on strike about these issues with a tiny minority of parents who get fined for not getting their children to school, then it shows your attitude to education. On the strike day, try to educate your children about the difference between striking/ fighting for rights and having a cheap holiday.

Reply Posted by Sussie on Saturday June 25 2016 at 20:35
What wrong mike got to look after her kids an extra day

Reply Posted by Doris on Sunday June 26 2016 at 11:53
Susie, I think you need some out of hours lessons! Your spelling and punctuation are abysmal? Teachers know before they take on the job what is expected of them, they are very well paid for the job they do. My sister in law was a teacher, and lives a very good life on the pension she receives!!

Reply Posted by Lisa Farnsworth on Sunday June 26 2016 at 16:15
So they work late and sometimes take work home...so what!? So do I and I don't receive a teachers salary and benefits! Also I don't get the option to strike! If you're not happy with the package get a new job!

Reply Posted by ABC on Tuesday June 28 2016 at 18:51
Lisa, if you don't get the option to strike - whatever job you do - then you are basically a slave. You can't stop working/ withdraw your labour for a day without getting punished or sacked?? Then you are a slave. If you're happy with this package, then carry on. If not get a new job and join a union.

Reply Posted by Sussie on Sunday June 26 2016 at 16:26
Good look to your sister in law doris but can't see nothing wrong with my spelling

Reply Posted by Sussie on Sunday June 26 2016 at 16:28
Should have said got to look after your kids mike

Reply Posted by Sussie on Sunday June 26 2016 at 16:31
What about nurses, doctors,? Who go on strike it's in there package

Reply Posted by Doris on Sunday June 26 2016 at 16:54
Should have gone to spec savers then Sussie!!!! As, There, Night, No full stops or commas!! Apart from that it doesn't make sense either!! Haha!! Get to night school.

Reply Posted by Shaun on Sunday June 26 2016 at 17:20
Doris, your overuse of exclamation marks is also grammatically incorrect. Don't distract from the argument by attacking secondary issues such as language and grammar.

Reply Posted by T on Sunday June 26 2016 at 17:21
Well I'm pretty sure most of you would strike if you're contracted and paid to work 27.5 hours a week ..... And end up doing 70+ a week. And a quarter of your wage goes on tax and national insurance ... Every right to strike and be more looked after.

Reply Posted by Shaun on Sunday June 26 2016 at 17:25
And Doris, if you insist teachers should be overworked based on some anecdotal evidence about someone you know who used to teach, then your argument is poor. Teachers want and know what is best for your children and you should support them. Would you accept an overworked surgeon operating on your child? Then why accept an overworked professional educating them?

Reply Posted by Anorack on Sunday June 26 2016 at 17:29
What you seem to be forgetting here is that teachers are teachers. You had the kids. Teachers teach, they are not parental care givers.

It breaks my heart that you have to look after the child you procreted for one day, whilst teachers fight for better conditions against this terribly corrupt government.

Power to NUT and power to the teachers. Teachers are parents too... It's not an exclusive club...

Reply Posted by Sussie on Sunday June 26 2016 at 19:42
Thanks shaun

Reply Posted by Katy on Monday June 27 2016 at 10:33
What gets me is the only thing the whole comments are arguing about is the pay and working conditions, did people miss the SCHOOL FUNDS part because that is a HUGE issue. I mean did you know when a school gets a good offstead report they lose money because apparently the extra money is no longer needed, then that could mean they can't do the things that got them the good report because they no longer have funds and they get a bad one get the funds back and go back round in a circle.

I have also worked in a school, I have know the teachers work all thorough out the school holidays. So for those of you that say they get more holidays then me they don't they work through them.

I wanted to be a teacher till I worked as a TA and saw all the hard work the stress and the effort that goes into being a teacher and your so under appreciated by most parents, as seen here by people jumping straight on the can we fine them, they don't need to strik band wagon. I'm sorry but if you were working through your holidays, taking work home with you, doing work on your days off and having to deal with misbehaving children wouldn't you want to strike. Teachers give it all and this is how the parents repay them by telling them they knew what they were getting into, well I didn't, if I'd have carried on my career path instead of taking a year out to do an apprenticeship and get some experience I would not have know what I was getting into.