Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event

News


Fire chiefs issue e-cig warning

Monday June 6 2016


Fire bosses have issued an e-cig warning Fire bosses have issued an e-cig warning


FIRE CHIEFS have issued a warning over e-cigs after a rise in the number of blazes they have caused. 

South Yorkshire Fire & Rescue says until 2013 it hadn’t attended a single incident caused by e-cigs, but the number of fires involving the vaping equipment has climbed ever since. 

Fire investigators say that if e-cigs are charged for too long, charged on or close to soft furnishings or if the charger is faulty, the risk of a fire increases. 

Head of community safety Trevor Bernard, said: “Fires caused by e-cigarettes are an emerging trend which a few years ago simply did not exist. Whilst e-cigs may offer a safer alternative to traditional cigarettes, they are so popular now we do need to make sure people know how charge them safely.

“The advice for e-cigs is really the same as for many smaller electrical appliances like mobile phones and laptops- don’t be tempted to buy cheap unbranded chargers, don’t leave them to charge whilst you are out of the house or asleep and keep them well away from flammable materials.”

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus