News » WAB Debate

What activities would you like to see in Barnsley?

Tuesday June 7 2016

The applications have been submitted to Barnsley Council The applications have been submitted to Barnsley Council

TRAMPOLINE Parks could be coming to Barnsley - but what other fun activities would you like to see?

Barnsley-based Jump Fit Ltd has submitted the first planning application for a 16,000 sq ft trampoline park at Barugh Green, using the former Barnsley College building on Cannon Way industrial estate.

However, Peel Property (Investments) Ltd has also submitted an application for a trampoline park in the former MFI and Powerhouse Retail unit at Twibell Street, off Old Mill Lane.

What else would you like to see in town? Remember the ice skating rink? How about something like a laser quest?

Reply Posted by Alison on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 11:45
Trampoline park and laser quest are a brilliant idea. I also like the idea of a skating rink but how about something like Escape, where you can ski or snowboard etc

Reply Posted by Ada on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 12:23
The best activity for this town, would be for the present incumbents at the town hall to take a long walk off a short cliff? Lets get the town centre sorted first BEFORE another hair brained scheme is put in place?

Reply Posted by Jacko on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 13:07
Not sure what private investment has to do with the Town Centre.

As someone who travels round the country a lot of big cities and small towns, Barnsley ranks quite high. Lots of issues up and down the country not just Barnsley.

Try walking around Sheffield...

Reply Posted by Ada Nutheridea on Thursday June 9 2016 at 19:57
Nope. A few druggies and alkies in the goldfish bowl - I mean town centre - does not stop the rest of a large town moving on and trying to find ways of moving forward. Hair brained schemes? Anything is better than gawping at a few unfortunate people and thinking that's what Barnsley is all about and it will stay like that. It will not.

Reply Posted by Dean on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 14:11
Jobs...

Reply Posted by Jacko on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 13:03
This would supply jobs......

Reply Posted by Me on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 15:38
I disagree. Barnsley born and bred but not living there anymore, although family is. Barnsley has never really had any entertainment other than pubs and clubs. Not everyone wants to go out and get drunk. Give something for the youngsters to do and they may not sit around the town centre harrassing people and that in turn would give investors an incentive to come into the town. It is not the best town centre in the world, but it is ours and we should be willing as much as possible to come there.

Reply Posted by Marcin on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 19:59
Place where you could ride on roller skates some road whit smooth tarmac.

Reply Posted by Jo on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 20:10
A BMX track or mini pump track

Reply Posted by Fred on Tuesday June 7 2016 at 21:20
Naughty Norman for council leader !!!!!!!

Reply Posted by NaughtyNorman on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 18:47
Fred
It would seem that my comments / suggestions may have been too radical for the powers that be who run this site, as they have removed my posts. Perhaps sir Steve and his henchmen are monitoring this site.
I have asked on several occasions for the reasons as I do not want to offend anyone, just give my opinion, as yet no reply or explanation in response to my e-mails
Regards
Naughtynorman

Reply Posted by Jake Wilson on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 10:16
I think an activity centre is a good idea, but rather than one big one how about a few smaller ones spread across town so the big one isn't busy all the time. I think the cinema that's coming is a good idea. Hopefully after that is build it will bring more activities with it, more food places too.

Reply Posted by Annieka on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 18:37
I agree with Jake.

Reply Posted by Ashleigh Porter on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 10:44
how about something adults can do aswel as kids 2. family activities like karting, crazy golf, ondoor water park, lazer quest n some nice places to eat….. theres a lot of buildings in barnsley that could be converted in2 something like this n i think theyd be poplar.

Reply Posted by Jacko on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 13:12
Already a good Karting place in barnsley. Crazy Golfs are the sort of thing appearing in new build town centre's so would be surprised if one isn't coming.

Indoor water park as in Metrodome or as in Pugneys style?

Reply Posted by Annieka on Wednesday June 8 2016 at 18:36
A climbing wall. A bowling alley and make it 60's style. More outdoor gyms. A skate park. An early morning dance place to catch the all night ravers, the night shift workers and people before they go to work. A Go Ape type tree top experience.

Reply Posted by BUTTERCUP1707 on Thursday June 9 2016 at 11:27
Well, It would be nice to have some luxuries in Barnsley but like home owners, when money is tight we have to concentrate on the necessary items and forgo the things that it would be nice to have. The council should be looking to do the same, after all, it is our money they are spending on things that are not necessary at this moment. I would think that our roads are a much higher priority as they are disintegrating before our eyes. The council give away over a million a year on insurance claims for car damages due to our poor road system. This would be better if it was put together with the money they want to spend on attractions and fixing all the broken down roads. I think we should all get a tin of spray paint and look outside our own gates and mark any bit of road that is in need of repair and see if anyone can find a bit of road that has no paint on it, good luck with finding a paint fee road. I hate the idea that I have to pay my Council Tax and they get to decide what to waste it on. Council, you’re a bunch of wasters who enjoy spending other people’s HARD earned money on stupid things instead of prioritising things….. Guess this will stir the pot or get deleted.

Reply Posted by Daisy on Saturday June 11 2016 at 13:36
Yes roads should be maintained. if the insurance claims point is a big issue, that needs looking into. How much does BMBC pay out for this and does it come from Council Tax. I am forever being contacted from a claims company about an accident I never had and think that people who actually make these claims need to think twice. to be honest, fixing the roads isn't my priority, nor for many other people. Not everybody is a car driver. Those who need a massive 4 by 4 to drive 2 minutes up the road aren't my priority either. People have cars designed to drive over all terrains so why are they complaining about driving from home to school to morrisons....there is a clear need for more activities for kids in this town and they don't all have to cost a fortune. They are hardly going to sit at home and watch the potholes in the roads being repaired are they.

Reply Posted by Buttercup1707 on Saturday June 11 2016 at 15:50
Daisy, What makes you think I am a 4x4 school run Mum....... How dare you....... I am a hard working individual with an ordinary car which is not for pleasure but a necessity who pays road and council tax. I would simply like to drive on a road that does not damage my vehicle, which is NOT a 4x4. I never understood why people had 4x4's but maybe they are becoming the necessary vehicle to have to cope with the dreadful roads we have to deal with now. I understand that not everyone is a car driver but most are. If you do not drive then I can understand you not caring about the road system but they are trying to encourage people to come to Barnsley with all these new venues and attractions but do we want them to wreck their vehicles getting here???? There are parks which have been created for kids and damaged by kids, refer to a news report on Dearn FM regarding Grimethorpe Park that got trashed and burnt up. The kids have places they can go but all they wish to do with them is vandalize them. Banging head against brick wall springs to mind. Oh, and before you go there, yes I have a daughter and yes she goes to parks but NO she does not trash them and NO I do not drive her to school, she walks....... In reply to your last comment, We should all sit and watch the pot holes, you can viable see them getting bigger then or the 8 council workers watch the 1 council worker fill them..... Hay Ho!!!!

Reply Posted by Rambo on Thursday June 9 2016 at 18:12
We already have a theme park for kids, haven't you walked through the bus station lately? Football, skateboarding, cycling and catch me if you can games with security wardens. And all free of charge.!

Reply Posted by Django on Thursday June 9 2016 at 19:25
Oh for goodness sake, kids have always hung around bus stations etc including in Barnsley. I did, in Barnsley, 45 years ago! We didn't have anywhere to go then when I was 15 and same these days too. Anybody my age will remember the 'threepenny bit' in the bus station where we used to meet up. Then what did we do...same as kids these days I suppose, making their own entertainment.

Reply Posted by Rambo on Friday June 10 2016 at 09:08
I thought the Metrodome was built for kids to use up their surplus energy not the bus station.? Some of the antics that goes on in the bus station is a disgrace to the town. Really helps Barnsley's image, drunken drop outs in the town centre unruly foul mouthed kids in the bus station, and to top it off thievin Gypos camped in the courthouse car park..!!,

Reply Posted by Why not on Saturday June 11 2016 at 13:39
Why not make the bus station one of those exclusion zones for kids then.

Reply Posted by angus on Thursday June 9 2016 at 21:59
Laser quest coming to old Chicago building, along with swanky new nandos style restaurant and kids entertainment centre. Hope u all will come and give it a try

Reply Posted by Annieka on Thursday June 9 2016 at 23:48
Sounds good and sure people will give it a try.

Reply Posted by Eric Bailey on Sunday June 19 2016 at 18:00
A Kareoke in the Alhambra Center, with it piped round the shopping area. I have seen this done, and goes don well.

Reply Posted by Eric Bailey on Sunday June 19 2016 at 18:10
A Forties weekend would be good, I have been to a number of these and they are well attended.
Food demonstrations would be good too, wit free samples. Probably get Supermarkets to sponsor them and themselves.