Council issues sculpture warning

Thursday May 26 2016

The sculpture The sculpture

THE COUNCIL says that anyone caught climbing the sculpture outside Barnsley Town Hall could face legal action.

Earlier this month, a video was posted to social media showing a man climbing the 33 ft artwork in the town centre.

Coun Jenny Platts, cabinet spokeswoman for communities, says that climbing the sculpture will not be tolerated.

She said: “The behaviour filmed is extremely dangerous and in the event of a fall could lead to serious injury.

“The climbing of the structure is in breach of the local by-law. Any information regarding the identity of this individual can be forwarded to safer@barnsley.gov.uk and legal action will follow.”

It is not the first time someone has climbed the structure.

Shortly after its installation almost three years ago, several people were caught trying to climb the artwork.

CCTV was put up and by-laws had to be brought in by the council to deter people from trying to climb it, threatening those who did so with a £500 fine.

Reply Posted by Amy on Thursday May 26 2016 at 18:56
Wants knocking down all Together big eyesore waste off Money

Reply Posted by Baz on Thursday May 26 2016 at 19:36
Ugly, rusting lump of scrap. That no other town or city in the country would have as a 'showpiece'. Get rid.

Reply Posted by Mr Reality Check on Thursday May 26 2016 at 19:37
The comb symbolizes the lack of foresight by those in charge of the local authority.

Reply Posted by Alan B on Thursday May 26 2016 at 20:58
It's an eyesore and does nothing to enhance the image of Barnsley. Get rid I say.

Reply Posted by Town guru on Thursday May 26 2016 at 21:36
Obveously some people don't get art! But guess you get Jez Kyle.... Council estate bums srike again!

Reply Posted by ike on Thursday May 26 2016 at 22:02
How much did it cost to bring the bylaws in and how much did the cctv cost, I wonder if fines issued if any matched the cost.
Put structures there someone will climb them put fountains there someone will get wet lol

Reply Posted by Baz on Thursday May 26 2016 at 22:03
I appreciate art, the rusty comb is vile. Obvieursliy (sic)

Reply Posted by General Lee on Thursday May 26 2016 at 22:28
Well yet again Barnsley Council wasting money on unneeded expenditure, that has no purpose. The Town Hall & gardens revamp including the water feature has been a positive improvement and a complement to the town. Its attractive and befitting of such a historic Town Hall, however an abstract and unsightly piece of rusting art has no place in a town suffering from poverty and loss of identity since the decline of the Coal Industry, Glass and Rag Trade. Perhaps our councillors should reflect on where the money came from to build such an outstanding building and look to the war memorial that it overlooks to remember the sacrifice that our grandparents gave to protect it, You are here to serve and serve with humility for the good of us all.

Reply Posted by JJ on Friday May 27 2016 at 12:15
Not a huge fan of the statue myself, but i take exception to what you said about not investing in art when theres so much poverty in barnsley. I grew up in council housing in this town, and the numerous community art projects in my area has given huge purpose to my life and helped me find a passion and career i love at a time where half my friends were smashing Mcat and K cider in mandella gardens... now 90% of these are gone. Without that direction in life i dunno where i would be today. Art, craft, sports and general creativity can give young people some positivity in their life and offer an escape from a cycle of poverty and is just as important for breaking the cycle of decline in this towns as anything else. I'm kind of making the same point the film Kes or billy elliot makes. Everyone likes art to varying degrees. its music, painting photography, film, etc that makes life worth living and Barnsley with all the odds against it has made its mark in all of them fields on a global scale, so support the young artists! they might be the next barry hinds, art and culture is definently something worth investing in and can go a long long long way to making this town better for everyone (if done rightly not ruined by the council)

Reply Posted by JJ on Friday May 27 2016 at 12:17
That said the statue is a bit of a waste itself. A bit of a vanity project when they could have spent the money on lots of local artists.

Reply Posted by General Lee on Friday May 27 2016 at 21:54
Thank you for your first point and more the second. Perhaps the position of the Nit Comb could have been made available to aspiring artist from our college and local artists, with pieces showcased in rotation over a year .. not to line the pockets of a single person. More to the point yet again a small minority called the council impose on us their decisions rather than consulting the community. They are here to serve not self serve.

Reply Posted by who knows on Friday May 27 2016 at 00:58
no matter what we have we cant make barnsley any better

Reply Posted by General Lee on Friday May 27 2016 at 22:14
Actually we can. Be respectful and kind to our elderly. Teach our children manners and to be considerate. Help those in need, smile and say please and thank you and remember that you, yourself is not the most important person in the world, these are the qualities our grandparents had and best of all these qualities are free.

Reply Posted by Wotsup? on Friday May 27 2016 at 19:43
I like the ' comb' structure! It stands out, it's not offensive is it? People might try to climb it ( or at least they might now it's been in the press) but so what. What used to be there before the 'comb' ? I am trying to remember, I think it was some benches and flower beds with a car park behind it.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Saturday May 28 2016 at 09:46
I actually like it! Shock horror!

Reply Posted by Ray on Tuesday May 31 2016 at 12:44
I Like it, I preferred it against the backdrop of the sculpture park which is where it was before, but I think it's striking and to say it's in the middle of busy pub area I would say a handful of incidents in 3 years isn't such a bad return.

Reply Posted by Rambo on Sunday May 29 2016 at 07:43
Get some barbed wire around it.!!

Reply Posted by Anon on Sunday May 29 2016 at 16:56
Get a sign saying 'this is paid for by national lottery money' so people will shut the frick up about it coming out of their council tax.

Reply Posted by incignito on Monday May 30 2016 at 09:05
Barnsley.a medieval town that is still living the past.even the people speak in a language that belongs to the past and no outsider can understand.the men are all hen pecked by their domineering wives and gfs.if you are looking for a place to live and raise your children barnsley isn't the place I'd recommend for anyone.

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday May 31 2016 at 14:33
@incignito
Barnsley is a post industrial town and its roots are fascinating to historians.
As a person born and educated in the town, I grew up speaking the local dialect and went on to learn several languages with A grades at A level in English, French, German and Latin at a Barnsley School in the 70s.
I went on to study and learn several other languages and I am an experienced translator as well as an educator.
I have always found my knowledge of Barnsley and other Yorkshire dialects very useful, as what we learn about language in the classroom ( in England, France, Germany, Italian, Sweden and Japan, in my case) is very different from the language spoken in regions and localities.

Reply Posted by Tyke on Monday May 30 2016 at 10:43
What's make anyone think the mongo population of Barnsley will do what they are told, respect authority or respect their own town. Good luck with that one !

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday May 31 2016 at 14:44
@Tyke
Are you modelling yourself on characters from Southpark?
What does the term 'mongo population' mean?
You don't appear to respect other people so perhaps should not be preaching respect.
I find people in Barnsley are mostly nice enough but a problem is that people do not often visit other towns or cities to get a sense of perspective.

ipso Regulated