News » WAB Debate

Should parents be fined for taking kids out of school in term time?

Monday May 16 2016

Would you take your child out of school? Would you take your child out of school?

A FATHER was told he had no case to answer for refusing to pay a fine for taking his daughter out of school during term time.

John Platt said the victory would benefit hundreds of other parents facing similar penalties - after he was told he didn't have to pay a £120 fine.

However, holiday companies have said that since the ruling, they have seen a rise in holidays being booked for during term time, and a drop in bookings for during traditional school breaks.

Would you take your kids out of school during term time? Should parents be fined for doing it?

Reply Posted by Anon on Monday May 16 2016 at 19:32
If children got good attendance no what about teachers who take time off in term time to go swanning around the world do they get fined when schools have to get supply teachers in while they away

Reply Posted by Anon on Wednesday June 15 2016 at 15:50
What teachers take time off in term to go swanning around the world?? What are you on about??
If teachers take children abroad they need a medal.

Reply Posted by NaughtyNorman on Monday May 16 2016 at 19:56
I was once fined for taking my son out of school for 2 days before the end of term. All my son and other kids had done for the past week we're take games into school and p**s about. I was told by the headmaster that kids must be in school at all times!!!!!!!!'
Interesting to see the same headteacher on front page of chronicle recently convicted of possessing indecent images of children.....KARMA!!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by Ackerman on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 10:32
We have been fined a few times for taking our kids from school for a holiday. I see it this was, they got good attendance work hard at school why not. I paid the fines as it still worked out a few hundred pound cheaper to go on our hols even after paying the fine.

Reply Posted by John on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 10:56
Parents shouldn't be fined for taking kids out of school as long as teachers are allowed to take time off during term time too. Only fair after all.

Reply Posted by paul gregory on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 12:05
It's all abarts makin money as per usual. Greedy local authorities and politicians. That's all everything's abart na money.

Reply Posted by Gran on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 13:39
Are teachers who our child's education depends on allowed to take holidays in term time , would we complain if our child arrived at school only to be told OH miss is in Disney land , she couldn't afford to go in the school holidays, so you will have to take your child home no spare teacher SORRY

Reply Posted by no gran on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 16:14
gran, if teachers cannot afford holidays during school holidays they can always wait until they retire after 25 years

Reply Posted by What? on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 19:51
What are you on about? Teachers can't retire after 25 years unless they had another job/ career first and started teaching late eg aged 35. I have been teaching for 38 years now, I will carry on another 6 years, God willing, until I am 66 and get my state pension. My teachers pension after 35 years contributions isn't enough as I have a mortgage etc

Reply Posted by bill on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 16:30
Ring up, say yer kids sick,
i did it when my kids were at school.
once rang up from spain. never hurt em, grown up now with good jobs.

Reply Posted by Carl on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 21:15
I missed two weeks as a seven year old - I really regret it and parents shouldn't allow kids time off lightly. Imagine how embarrassing it is for me in board meetings when the other directors ask me to colour in the train and I wasn't at school that week! Think people - missing infant school is serious !!

Reply Posted by Joy on Tuesday May 17 2016 at 21:59
Don't think a few days will hurt anyone's education. Yearly we were taken on holiday in term time as my parents couldn't afford the prices in the summer holidays. I can also remember going to the great Yorkshire show one year and being told off by the head teacher. The year after, the school took the oldest classes on 'an educational trip' to the Yorkshire show. Ironic!!
Me and my siblings all went to university and have good well paid jobs.

Reply Posted by Chip O'nmeshoulda on Wednesday May 18 2016 at 18:32
Worth the fine for taking kids on the holiday of a life time to go somewhere amazing where they learn something memorable.
if you are just going somewhere where your kids can sit and get even redder and eat the all day buffet getting even fatter, watching you get even drunker.....stop pretending it's for your children's benefit, it isn't.

Reply Posted by Rambo on Thursday May 19 2016 at 08:20
The problem is caused by all the schools having the same holidays. Why not allow schools to choose their own weeks with the parents? Do they really need two week at Easter or even Christmas? Then parents could choose a week outside the expensive periods.!

Reply Posted by Yes on Friday May 27 2016 at 19:49
Yes parents should be fined for taking kids out of school in term time. Unless they can prove the holiday is for the benefit of their kids instead of the parents desparate to save a few quid on a crap holiday eating all day buffet and getting drunk.

Reply Posted by Don't pretend on Monday May 30 2016 at 12:22
Taking children out of school for holidays in term time is for the benefit of parents so don't pretend otherwise.
Children like being with their school pals. The little school trips and events that schools put on, they are precious for the children. They will remember these in much more detail than going on a holiday in term time.

Reply Posted by Anon on Thursday June 9 2016 at 20:30
Why are parents so obsessed with having holidays in term time, what is the actual benefit of it. Have your holidays at normal times ffs and stop showing off, spend ur time instead supporting your child's reading, learning etc. COME ON!! Barnsley kids are hardly top of the list for their attainment. Stop holding them back by saying school doesn't matter.