Sainsbury's seeks buyer for former B and Q site

Monday April 18 2016

The former B&Q The former B&Q

SAINSBURY'S is speaking to businesses interested in taking on the former B&Q store at Stairfoot.

The supermarket giant took ownership of the store last September when B&Q moved out, following a deal between the companies signed in 2013.

Sainsbury's had intended to convert the building into a supermarket.

It secured planning permission in July 2014 but was forced to shelve the plans a year later, claiming a change in shopping trends had left it with no other option.

A Sainsbury’s spokesman said: “We are continuing to market the site and are in discussions with a number of interested parties.”

Reply Posted by the grimreaper on Monday April 18 2016 at 16:34
wot a balls up!

Reply Posted by Hmm on Monday April 18 2016 at 19:28
Sainsburys wasn't forced to shelve and plans, they chose to

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Monday April 18 2016 at 20:44
A real shame this one!
At last a quality retailer showing an interest in our town, but not to be. I'm no retail analyst, so really would like to know what shopping trends influenced their decision.
Tell you what though folks, it would make a great traveller site!!!! JUST JOKING!!!!

Reply Posted by NormanBates on Wednesday April 20 2016 at 12:31
Quality retailer? They all sell the same stuff you Pompus git.

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Wednesday April 20 2016 at 20:45
Oh dear NormanBates clearly you are more of a jack Fulton customer. I doubt you have ever stepped foot in a quality retailer, PS B&M does not qualify either!
You say they sell the same stuff! Who?
Pompous git,,,, ME? Far from it! I just enjoy spending my hard earned wage on a balance between quality and value for money, which in my humble opinion Sainsburys offer!!! Indeed I travel to Wakefield to do my weekly shop. Perhaps if we had a quality retailer others may travel to our once prosperous town, or us pompous gits may choose to stay and spend my wages in my own town.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Wednesday April 20 2016 at 22:15
B&M is a shop for scruffs, end of.

Reply Posted by Ed on Thursday April 21 2016 at 09:22
Steven James you are a a--- h--- I shop sometimes at B&M I'm not a scruff I have worked all my life as a single widowed mother I put my son through university I own my own house don't have credit cards store cards bank loans or any type of credit what have you got

Reply Posted by Steven James on Thursday April 21 2016 at 16:04
B&M is a low end shop for low end people.
I am in my mid 40's and mortgage free thanks.

Don't you mean you sometimes shop at B&M?

Shocking grammar, see me.

Reply Posted by Ed on Thursday April 21 2016 at 18:31
It maybe shocking grammar , because I am on my way to London. My son and I are running in the marathon this Sunday. My son is also in his mid forties has a mortgage free house and a good job. So we can go shopping in the posh shops , But I will come home and shop in the real world with real down to earth people.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Friday April 22 2016 at 13:36
Real world and real down to earth people?
you do know the meaning of the word "Dystopian" don't you?
Sorry, couldn't resist! hahaha

Reply Posted by Town Guy on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 09:29
Ok sainsburys suddenly realise that they would be competing directly with aldi and tesco who's stores have Much better access on stairfoot round about and thought we can not so ditched the idea not to mention that most of Barnsley would end up shopping there due to them been so expensive suppose its a good late decision for sainsburys but yet another let down for barnsley please sainsburys do us a favour and sell it to a large warehousing or manufacturing company and not yet another supermarket or retailer its large employers we need not large shops with minimum staff and minimum wages

Reply Posted by Ed on Saturday April 23 2016 at 15:52
If I am a "Dystopion", what does that make you,Dumbass, Weezo or Douchebag take your pick.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Sunday April 24 2016 at 10:22
Ed thank you for you comments, firstly it is DYSTOPIAN, I wasn't referring to you in that context as it wouldn't make sense, here is the meaning of the word:

DYSTOPIAN - noun. An imagined place or state in which everything is unpleasant or bad, typically a totalitarian or environmentally degraded one. The opposite of utopia. It's extremely difficult to imagine a realistic dystopia because we're so tempted to create a caricature.

Reply Posted by Barnslyen on Saturday April 23 2016 at 20:37
Ha some of the comments made me chuckle.
But on this note, we don't need another superstore, food and essensials can be baught from, asda Tesco Morrison's lidl aldi even savers pound shop bnm we don't need another store. Something useful that could create mass jobs, that would be great.
And before anyone comments about Scruggs or anything, I shop at savers and bnm sometimes, I also buy smart price foods as well at top quality meats from the butchers, it doesn't matter what brand food you have if you know how to cook it. Some people like to spend loads of money on fancy crinkle chips, I buy a cheap bag of taties and make my own. Please stop judging each other x

Reply Posted by Ed on Sunday April 24 2016 at 00:20
Thankyou just what I tried to got across a tin of HP baked beans have the same contents no matter where you buy them. People only have a certain amount to spend so they have to do what ever suits them and good luck to them I respect people that do not judge people no matter where they shop.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Sunday April 24 2016 at 10:26
My opinion of B&M is simply my opinion, I wouldn't ever shop there as I put it in the "low class" shop bracket, a shop which attracts a certain type of customer.
I wasn't judging anyone, merely stating my own opinion and the fact that I would never shop there.
The last time Iooked we had the freedom of speech, well at least until the Tories figure a way of banning it!
Don't even let me get started on the TK Maxx "jumble sale" either hahaha ;)

Reply Posted by Joe on Monday April 25 2016 at 16:49
in 2014 Sainsbury said the floor couldn't take the weight of their shelves, so they couldn't turn it in to a supermarket. There was nothing about a change in shopping trends, lmao what a joke! They'll say anything to get it sold!

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Monday April 25 2016 at 19:51
Be careful the good people of Stairfoot, and immediate surrounding areas. We all have heard about our wonderful council advocating the need for a"traveller site" in that area!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Imagine??????????????????????