Dog walkers warned over husky attacks

Monday April 18 2016

Locke Park Locke Park

CONCERNED dog walkers have warned other pet owners to be vigilant after a spate of attacks by huskies in Locke Park.

Hannah Mosley, who lives locally, said her two dogs were attacked by a pair of huskeys last week, leaving one of her pets needing treatment from vets.

"I was walking my dogs when a man approached with two huskies and said they weren't his. We think they had been abandoned.

"The next thing I know, one of the huskies had my dog in its mouth.

"My dog needed an x-ray and treatment from vets. Thankfully she's okay, but it's made me scared to go back."

Another owner said that she had to rescue a man and his dog from animals of a similar description later the same day.

Lindsey said that the dog warden has been informed of the incident, however there have been further reports of an attack in Worsbrough Common since.

Reply Posted by Rowena mosley on Monday April 18 2016 at 18:11
The dog that spent 6 hrs in vet casualty and had to be sedated was mine he is only a baby chihuauha had abdominal bruising, i am in Tenerife at the moment but when i cime back i will not let this drop the owners of these dogs must be found, my dog was traumatised and so was my daughter Hannah.

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Monday April 18 2016 at 20:48
Good luck Rowena.
Hope your daughter, and dog recover soon.

Reply Posted by Julie Flaszynski on Monday April 18 2016 at 18:54
All dogs should be kept on a lead no matter what bred they are. I always keep mine on a lead. Getting ridiculous now all these dogs on the loose atacking other dogs!!!!!!!

Reply Posted by adam on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 08:01
no they shouldn't, a dog should be allowed to run. if you cant trust your dog to be off the lead then take it somewhere isolated. our spaniel is always off his lead, its cruel to keep them tied up.

Reply Posted by Mark on Monday April 18 2016 at 21:16
Any owner of a husky with any knowledge of the breed wouldn't have them off the lead anyway, it's other dog owners that let there dogs run wild that's the problem, I've had many dogs run up to my huskies when I've been out walking them and obviously a unknown dog running towards my dogs are going to intimidate them, end of day all dogs should be kept on a lead while out walking then this doesn't happen does it...

Reply Posted by Victoria Kelly on Monday April 18 2016 at 22:03
In response to Marks comment, the issue isn't that other people have dogs off the lead,it is that there are two dangerous dogs on the lose attacking any dog they can get at!! Poor Hannah and little Ollie were both traumatised by it, this information is a heads up to anyone walking there dogs on or off the lead round Locke Park. I for one haven't had my springer out round Locke Park for the past few days as I don't feel either of us are safe at the moment, let's hope they are found soon and the owners are traced, then we can all go back to safe dog walking on or off the lead!

Reply Posted by Hannah on Monday April 18 2016 at 22:13
My dogs were on the lead mark but didn't have a chance. As huskie owners know they love to run and can't be let loose, either they've been abandoned or got out whatever the case they need to be found

Reply Posted by Rowena on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 00:11
To Mark: my dog and my daughter and her partners dog were both on leads and always are, the 2 huskys were not, so maybe u need to get your facts right before commenting on here, end of.

Reply Posted by adam on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 07:45
you seem pretty ignorant mark. if I had a husky and having it around other dogs/people was an issue then I wouldn't be walking it in a public place like locke park where more social animals like to go about there day without the threat of being mauled to death. dangerous dogs are the problem, not others that just like to play. ive nothing against owning a husky or whatever, but have some common sense and take it somewhere it isn't going eat anything that moves. failing that, at least don't come on pages like this posting absolute b@******s

Reply Posted by Angela hatfield on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 11:45
Another bit of bad press on the husky breed....I'm with u on this mark.i own 2 huskies. I would never consider letting them off to run loose. My huskies (male and female) although castrated and spayed will still fight if another dog runs up to them.
I am a responsible dog owner that's fully aware of the damage huskies and other breeds can do to pets and livestock. But this is not a fault with the breed it is the fault of the owners. Huskies are great dogs!!!

Reply Posted by adam on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 14:23
it is a fault with the breed, if this were a couple of poodles running loose I doubt a women would have been terrorised as her dog got mauled. huskies are lovely dogs but you cant say there not dangerous, if their not allowed off a lead to interact with anyone or anything because aggression is part of their makeup then what is a good responsible owner going to change about that?

Reply Posted by Ross on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 11:54
No one is blaming the husky as a breed...just this owner in particular. These dogs were reported to be up there running free at least 2 days running now...seems pretty negligent to me. What if it was a child that was attacked? Or should they be kept on a lead too, just in case...

Reply Posted by Hannah mosley on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 12:31
You seem to be missing the point here. I love huskies as a breed but these particular 2 had either been left or aren't properly looked after so for their own good And for the safety of others their owners need to be found.

Reply Posted by stan on Tuesday April 19 2016 at 19:27
my dog was attacked when a pup and when i reported it to the police i was told that there was nothing they could do and to get in touch with the dog warden.when i contacted the warden i was told to find out where it lived and he would send the owners a letter.i told him i had got a phone number for them but he needed an address. what a joke. by the way it cost me the innocent party 95 pounds in vet fees .

Reply Posted by leanne on Wednesday April 20 2016 at 07:12
Very sorry to hear what happened with those dogs but it could have been any breed of dog that attacked. I too have 2 huskies, however my dogs are 2 of the gentlest animals anyone could ever meet, one cuddles with our cat if she'll let her. I do not let my dogs run free as their instinct is to run, and run and run and run. They do however get to run & regularly pull my son on his bike or sledge if it's snowed. Huskies are renowned escape artists, they can open doors and climb up fences. It is unfortunate that this happened and my sympathy is with the dog owners however please don't assume they have irresponsible owners as with the best will in the world accidents can happen to anyone xx

Reply Posted by Mr Reality Check on Thursday April 21 2016 at 22:10
By the very definition of a "dog escaping" the owner is irresponsible, YOU AS THE OWNER OF THE DOG are responsible for making sure your fence is high enough or your dog is suitably enclosed/restrained to prevent it from "climbing up fences". You're basically taking the same approach John Hammond took in Jurassic Park, he spared no expense . . . . only employing one IT professional who F'd up and turned the power off - it did not end well for the Lawyer. YOU who have applied the same logic to your Husky, "Yes they were expensive, and yes they could possibly get over that fence, but if they do get out it will be the problem of the people already in the park".

Reply Posted by Amused on Saturday April 23 2016 at 10:51
Lmao - Jurrasic Park!? You know that was just a movie right....?

Reply Posted by Mr Reality Check on Saturday April 23 2016 at 22:39
I felt I had to lower the intellectual level, to get someone who thinks "accidents happen" is a good way to look after a dog.

Huskys have 42 teeth, if there are two dogs with a good dental plan thats 84 teeth, plus thousands of years of evolution in the mix here, granted the evolutionary development of many of the people in Barnsley is actually de-volving, but still - Leanne "John Hammond" above needs to get her death trap Husky Park, in order.

Reply Posted by Elljaye on Saturday April 23 2016 at 10:54
I don't think there was any intention to scaremonger about Huskies, the breed was mentioned to help potentially identify the dogs/owners. Nobody can blame the dogs, the owners are entirely responsible