Council issues litter warning

Thursday April 14 2016

Barnsley Council Barnsley Council

THE COUNCIL has issued a stern warning to litter bugs giving out false information.

The council says that giving false information or refusing to give personal details when challenged for littering is a criminal offence.

The reminder follows a series of incidents in the  town centre where enforcement officers are being followed by individuals who appear to be advising anyone being issued with a fixed penalty fine not to give out their details, or to provide false information instead.

The council says that last year, a Barnsley man was forced to pay £660 in fines after being found guilty in court of two littering offences and one offence for refusing to give details.

The fines, charged at a cost of £220 per offence, added with court costs and a victim surcharge meant the man was forced to pay a total cost of £996 for the offences.

Wendy Lowder, Acting Executive Director for Communities, said: “ We’re committed to keeping Barnsley clean for people living, working and visiting here.

“Our officers wear body cameras so individuals who refuse to give information, or provide false details, commit a second offence. They will be investigated and prosecuted wherever possible. The message is clear, pick up your litter or pay the price.”

Reply Posted by No one on Thursday April 14 2016 at 13:20
Biggest criminals about

Reply Posted by Dawn on Thursday April 14 2016 at 14:15
I've seen people drop litter and get fined and the enforcement officers haven't made the person pick up what they dropped after they've issued the fine so what is the point of fining people when the litter is still on the floor

Reply Posted by Steven James on Thursday April 14 2016 at 15:07
Absolute money making scam!
Whist I don't condone the dropping of litter in anyway shape or form, these litter Nazis are the absolute filth of the earth.
If you want to clean the "litter" in town then why not start with the smackrats and p*ssed up idiots?
As per usual its a money making scam introduced by the Labour CLOWNS.

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Saturday April 16 2016 at 17:20
Quite right Steven & Bob; I also do not like lazy individuals who drop their litter.
But I DETEST the little men in big coats (who were clearly bullied at school, and are trying to make amends for their past frailties), who strut around with their little "chest cams" believing they have ACTUAL legal powers to ENFORCE anything !
Power crazy little DWEEBS !

Reply Posted by bob on Thursday April 14 2016 at 15:20
perhaps giving them a fine might teach them not to do it again for the rest of their lives ?!.....and as far as I know the officers do not have the power to make/force people to pick up their litter, nobody does !

Reply Posted by Miffed on Thursday April 14 2016 at 18:13
Can I suggest putting cameras near side roads with traffic lights. It seems a popular pastime to clean your car out while sat at them with complete disregard to those that live near them.

Reply Posted by Ahew on Thursday April 14 2016 at 20:11
They want to start with the bin men, our road is a real mess after they've been and isn't to start with!

Reply Posted by s on Thursday April 14 2016 at 21:09
Don't say anything,they have no powers of arrest ,nor can they detain or touch you (common assault if they touch you),just walk away and keep walking,get in a taxi its cheaper,I did this

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Saturday April 16 2016 at 17:22
Nice one "s" !

Reply Posted by bob on Friday April 15 2016 at 07:50
be careful s, my mate walked off, he got caught in the end when someone recognised him from his photo, they have cameras, he ended up being prosecuted for littering and refusing to give details as well, court fined him £400 - it is definitely a criminal offence, has been for years - google the law (section87/88 environmental protection act 1990 )

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Saturday April 16 2016 at 17:25
Whilst it IS against the "law" bob, the nobody's who are doing these "jobs", still have NO legal authority.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Monday April 18 2016 at 14:00
I got caught a while ago, was pulling some money out of my pocket and a receipt flew out.
I never actually saw the receipt until two chimps in the "big coats" jumped out of a council liveried car and asked if they "could have a word".
They tried fining me for littering until I told the pair of them that if they didn't get out of my way then there was going to be fookin murders.
I went in to the shop and they were waiting for me.
One of them, stereotypical steroid harry ,was becoming aggressive and the other one was placid, I put my shopping in my car and took my coat off.
Despite this the aggressive one started spouting allsorts about me being tracked by my numberplate etc etc, he was getting closer and closer and asking for I.D.
I asked him to get out of my space but the idiot just kept coming closer and told him in no certain terms that if he got any closer then he would cop an unfortunate one.
The big bully (lol I am 6ft 4ins) phoned the police and surprisingly they were there in a matter of minutes, well one of them plastic bobby PCSO thingys.
I explained to the good lady PCSO exactly what happened and she asked him to prove this by his CCTV bodycam footage it was then the penny dropped that his cam wasn't actually turned on!
Lovely PCSO agreed that there was no case to answer and that he couldn't conclusively prove that I had littered.
Another stroke of luck was a bloke parked a few cars down had seen everything and confirmed to the pcso that steroid harry was being aggressive, bloke called Jeff, Thanks jeff!

PCSO told me I could go about my business!

Moral of the story - Don't believe everything they say to you, if you suspect the men in big coats are trying to pull a fast one then demand to see the CCTV footage , oh and don't let the b*stards grind you down!

Reply Posted by albert on Friday April 15 2016 at 08:29
amount of litter round bansley is a disgrace no body got any respect for where they live any more

Reply Posted by Ed on Friday April 15 2016 at 08:40
If they must hang around waiting to catch people dropping litter. It would be a good idea to give them a litter picker and they can pick litter up and bin it as they go. Help clean up Barnsley and earn their wages

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Friday April 15 2016 at 18:26
Here we go again!!!!!!!
All too easy to blame the officers who enforce the laws, instead of looking closer at our own habits and behaviours.
If you don't throw your rubbish, tab ends, let your dog s..t without picking it up you have nothing to worry or moan about.
If we did not fear abuse, or worse when we saw people littering, and grew some bo..ox to challenge them we would have no need for the officers!
Unfortunately our once great town is being overrun by individuals and groups who don't give a flying f...!
So instead of giving the enforcement officers a rough ride, let's give them the credit they deserve when facing individuals and situations many of us would shy away from!!!!

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Friday April 15 2016 at 18:52
Mmmmm been thinking!!!!!
Come back n Barnsley council grow some balls and scoop up all the drinking and drug taking scum out of peel square, and of course other scroat ridden areas of our town, give them some black sacks then set them on tidying up the streets. Ah I hear you asking,what would we do with all the rubbish? Well let me answer you. Dig a big hole on the moors,(Lancashire side of course). Then put said rubbish into hole. Oh along with the sponging scumbags from peel square, and quickly fill.
Sorted!!!!!!! No litter, no scroats, no need for enforcement officers!!!

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Saturday April 16 2016 at 17:29
Naughtynorman forgot his medication again ?

Reply Posted by Naughtynorman on Sunday April 17 2016 at 16:41
Hey up occurrin.
Now you are either, from Lancashire, frequent peel square, or employed by kingdom security. Mmmmmm.
Can't stop just off to the chemist for my prescription LOL.

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Sunday April 17 2016 at 20:02
Well below the belt Norm ! LANCASHIRE ? PEEL SQUARE ?
How very DARE you !? LOL.

Reply Posted by Tzj on Sunday April 17 2016 at 04:23
Well am not surprised that they give out false info... £220 per offence is stupid money, bet thats what the peeps who came up with that figure make a DAY!

Reply Posted by Keith on Sunday April 17 2016 at 09:44
Don't drop litter , simples .

Reply Posted by Daphne Hart on Sunday April 17 2016 at 19:48
If the idiots who are so against the litter wardens had any sense they would be glad someone is trying to do something about the mindless moronic cretins who drop their rubbish. Why should the rest of us have to live with the mess? I also think fly tippers should have their vehicles confiscated and be jailed with hard labour for a long long time

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Sunday April 17 2016 at 19:59
Hard labour Daphne ? Now there's a plan !

Reply Posted by Kathleen Crossland on Monday April 18 2016 at 01:08
I've been fined today £75 for putting cig out on Doncaster Road, agreed I was in the wrong, only I'd I had was a name and position on my uniform under my coat, showed the officer, he then touched me to read my I'd, informed him not to touch me, that was an affence, will complain about how it was dealt with.

Reply Posted by bob on Monday April 18 2016 at 12:58
whats occurin - the officers have the power to ask for your name and address to issue a ticket for littering, refusal to give that information, or to give a false answer instead are both criminal offences, walk away at your peril !