Junior Doctors to strike again

Tuesday April 5 2016

Barnsley Hospital Barnsley Hospital

JUNIOR DOCTORS at Barnsley Hospital will strike again this week over national imposed changes to contracts.

The British Medical Association (BMA) Junior Doctors have said that they intend to take strike action on Wednesday 6 April to 8am on Friday 8 April, 8am to 5pm on Tuesday 26 April and 8am to 5pm on Wednesday 27 April.

Plans have been put in place by Barnsley Hospital to ensure there is as little disruption to services as possible during these times.

Dr Richard Jenkins, Medical Director at Barnsley Hospital, said: "The Trust recognises the important role that Junior Doctors play in the NHS and in our Hospital.

"The industrial action is as a result of a national contract dispute rather than a dispute between the Trust and Junior Doctors. It is clear that they have not taken the decision to take industrial action lightly."

Full information about how the industrial action may affect services at Barnsley Hospital can be found on the Trust’s website, www.barnsleyhospital.nhs.uk/news/junior-doctors-industrial-action/.

Reply Posted by Mick on Tuesday April 5 2016 at 19:05
Jeremy Hunt has handled this very badly, and has turned this into a political battle with the BMA by rushing to impose the new contract. I actually think reforming the NHS to have more doctors doing non emergency work at weekends is a good policy. Hospitals can treat more patients efficiently if space and equipment is fully utilised 7 days a week rather than 5. No-one can say it was being sneaked in, like the 2010 reforms. It was in the election manifesto and the public voted them a majority govt so they have the right to introduce it.

The final offer made to the BMA was pretty generous, and I thought they were unreasonable to turn it down but by announcing immediately that he would impose it Jeremy Hunt lost the argument with much of the public and moderate doctors who would have supported it.

Not sure what will happen next, both sides need to swallow some pride and talk to each other some more before the later strikes that will withdraw cover from A&E and critical care wards. That will cost lives.

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Tuesday April 5 2016 at 19:29
Although I cannot deny the fact that Jeremy "H"unt is a total ar*e,(as are the rest of the elitist, blood sucking maggots we refer to as a "Government").
However, the incessant bleating from the junior doctors is now becoming a bit of a bore ! I believe the time has come for them to have a stern word with themselves, and realise just how lucky they are. They have been given a bigger pay rise than most people will ever see, and all they seem to care about is the fact that the are losing overtime bonuses for Saturday work. They are NOT being forced into working longer hours, so their constant carping about "patient safety" is pure drivel ! How can working the SAME hours, for slightly less overtime pay, affect patient safety ? The answer my friend, is blowing in the wind...just like your feeble protests ! So, get over it...get on with your handsomely paid jobs, and try to remember that not all people are as privileged as you .

Reply Posted by Steven James on Wednesday April 6 2016 at 14:46
Hmm would you like a £40,000 Debt before you had even started work as a junior doctor?
The "imposed" contract is actually a pay cut of 17%.

Contracts were fought for by our forefathers to ensure that employees were treated fairly.
Would you like it if your employer said "sorry spadge, I know you work Monday to Friday but now your gonna have to work one Saturday in four , we aren't going to pay you the proper overtime rate for your Saturday, oh and you are going to have to take a 17% PAY CUT!

Handsomely paid jobs?

ARE YOU FOR REAL?

Have a word with yourself!

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Wednesday April 6 2016 at 19:43
Well Steven...I took your advice, had a quiet word with myself, and came to the following conclusion.
If I had chosen to embark upon a career ( with the prospect of earning a very good living, when suitably qualified), the "40k" debt, to which you refer, wouldn't bother me so much, because I would be confident enough in my abilities, to realise that when I achieved my goal, I could afford to repay my debt.
Do you really expect a free ride ? If so, you may be in for a shock, because you only get out what you put in.
You should look at the bigger picture old bean....if you had chosen another career, e.g the construction industry, you may have had to drag yourself out of bed at 4am, drive for 2-3 hours to your work site, put in a 10-12 hour gruelling shift, in terrible weather conditions (the likes of which you have only witnessed through the windows of your heated building). Then make the tiring journey home again, arriving at (Dependent on traffic conditions) somewhere between the hours of 10 pm and midnight, take a shower, eat dinner, kiss your wife, and go to bed. Arise 3 hours later and start again.
So...although many people sympathise with your dispute, there are many more who would take issue with your cause, because you are in a FAR better position than themselves.
There really ARE other people outside of your cosy blanket my friend.

Reply Posted by Yorkshireman on Thursday April 7 2016 at 11:39
You were lucky Whats Occurrin. We lived for three months in a brown paper bag in a septic tank. We used to have to get up at six o'clock in the morning, clean the bag, eat a crust of stale bread, go to work down mill for fourteen hours a day week in-week out. When we got home, out Dad would thrash us to sleep with his belt!

Reply Posted by Steven James on Thursday April 7 2016 at 12:01
Thanks for your advice Whats Occurrin, unfortunately I am not a junior doctor, but do get up at 5 a.m every day and put a 12-14 hour day in mostly 6 days a week.
I am also in construction by the way, I am an engineer working on Crossrail (google it if you don't know).
7 days this week for me unfortunately :( how about you?
The crux of my point was that junior doctor terms and conditions have been negotiated by unions for years to ensure that their members get the best possible salaries for doing the extremely difficult job that they do.
T&C'S shouldn't be altered on a "Tory whim" but idiotic people that read the right wing gutter press and watch the British BIASED Corporation (BBC) and wholeheartedly believe that everything they see and hear don't they so everything that comes out of Jeremy c*nts gob must be gospel munnit?

£26 K a year junior doctors salary would hardly enable ANYONE to live an extravagant lifestyle.

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Thursday April 7 2016 at 21:07
You had stale bread ?........You spoilt, jammy get !

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Tuesday April 5 2016 at 19:36
Oh, and ordering pizza deliveries to A&E, and standing around chatting and eating (IN THE DEPARTMENT), whilst a waiting room FULL of patients await medical attention (yes, I have witnessed it)....seriously extracts the urine !

Reply Posted by gaz on Tuesday April 5 2016 at 22:28
Barnsley hospital needs as much help as they can get because not one person in the 15years and hundreds of appointments iv attended and a&e has ever had a good thing to say.
Lack of urgency, poorly trained and terrible mannerisms and one of longest waiting times I've had the joy of experiencing
Left hand doesn't know what right hand is doing.
Maybe a pay rise might spark a bit more passion into their jobs and in turn improve the efficiency and attitude of the staff

Reply Posted by Ohdear on Thursday April 7 2016 at 13:36
What's occuring, you are so ill-informed it is frankly embarrassing. Let me just try to clear a few things up for you.
1. The pay rise that the daily mail want you to believe is being offered is based on a slight increase in basic pay but fails to take into account the huge pay cut related to banding resulting in a pay CUT over all. I challenge you to find a doctor in the country who will see a pay rise.
2. This is ALL about patient safety. If it was about the money don't you think the junior doctors would be happy for the Tories to privatise the NHS as this would inevitably boost their pay packet drastically? But NO, the whole argument which you have failed to recognise is that the government are trying to spread the workforce even more thinly over 7 days with no additional resources, funds or plans to recruit more doctors. In fact half of them will be taking a merry old trip across to Australia. So the driving factor of this whole debacle 'not enough docs around at week ends' will actually become 'not enough docs around in every hospital in the country on every day of the week' fantastic.
3. I am astounded that you were offended by seeing doctors take a break during a shift in A&E. Have you ever thought that perhaps they had been working for 6 hours solid and felt the need to take a break at 3am (when surprise surprise the canteen isn't open) in order to stay alert enough to make life saving decisions in the next 6 hours of their 12 hour shift?
I feel that you may benefit from educating yourself further regarding this topic and would strongly advise using a more reliable source than the Daily Mail.
Ps. If your working conditions in construction are so bleak then maybe you just be striking too! Ha

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Thursday April 7 2016 at 21:04
Oooh...well, that told me then !
1] Little bit concerned as to why you assume I was in A&E at "3am" ?
2] What's the Daily Mail ?
3] As a self employed "sole trader", I have yet to discover the benefits that striking would achieve for me. Heck...if I even try to phone in sick, I know i'm lying !
4] Although I respect YOUR views, it does not mean I have to agree with them.
5] Now relax...take a chill pill...calm down...and GET OVER YOURSELF !

Reply Posted by Get educated! on Saturday April 9 2016 at 17:35
Whats Occrrin
You really need to do your research before you start spouting you uneducated drivel. Yes pay is an issue and rightly so since Junior Doctors will effectively be working more hours for nothing. Would you work for nothing?

However that is not the main issue.To put in into perspective, Managers at KFC have a higher starting salary than a Junior Doctor. Under EU directives because they work with friers and it could become dangerouse if too tired, their workers are only allowed to work a maximum of 55 hours a week.
Junior Doctors already work an average of 68 hours a week. They are being told to do more. How effective do you think someone would be, making life and death decisions at the end of an 80 hour week?

THAT is the main issue of their fight!

Reply Posted by Get educated! on Saturday April 9 2016 at 17:51
" So, get over it...get on with your handsomely paid jobs, and try to remember that not all people are as privileged as you ."

How the hell are they privileged?

Working their butts off for years, getting educated to enable them to make a good living makes them privileged?

Anyone can do that if they are willing to put the time and effort in!

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Tuesday April 12 2016 at 19:23
"YOUR" uneducated drivel ! POT & KETTLE.

Reply Posted by Ohdear on Thursday April 7 2016 at 13:37
*should

Reply Posted by alanb on Sunday April 10 2016 at 20:57
If junior doctors want to be treated as professionals they should get on with the job they are paid to do. They should get themselves into the real world and stop acting like overgrown students.