Horse rider calls for safe driving

Friday March 25 2016

'Dead Slow' campaign launched 'Dead Slow' campaign launched

A HORSE RIDER has urged drivers to be safer when overtaking horses on the road.

Rachel Schofield says she's had some near misses while riding her horse due to inconsiderate and dangerous driving.

The call from Rachel comes after the British Horse Society launched the 'Dead Slow' campaign, which aims to teach drivers how to safely overtake horses on the road.

Rachel said: "I have some shocking hat camera footage of drivers overtaking me and my horse on blind bends, buses catching my stirrup, a van revving his engine behind me whilst I waited for a car to pass.

"It's truly shocking and dangerous. A friend of mine recently had a terrifying incident when motorbikes caused her horse to bolt through Wombwell Woods causing her to bust her nose and scratch all her face.

"It seems like we have no safe places to ride nowadays."

View the video here

Reply Posted by Jayne on Friday March 25 2016 at 19:30
Good for you Rachel, there should be a TV advert about safe driving around horses. There's one for motorbikes why not horses. If people realised that half a ton of horse can shift across a road in seconds and cause irreparable damage to itself, rider and vehicle they may think twice. Road users should realise they do not have ownership of the road, if cattle is in the road then vehicles slow down and wait, if sheep are in the road then vehicles slow down and wait, why do they not do the same for horses. These inconsiderate drivers are putting lives at risk, maybe if a few were prosecuted for road rage behaviour they would think twice.

Reply Posted by Me, Here, Now on Friday March 25 2016 at 20:17
I agree with you Rachel, and the comments left by Jayne too; but perhaps there needs to be more awareness by the riders too. I live near some stables on Edderthorpe Lane between Cudworth and Darfield, and on numerous occasions i've seen people riding horses two, and sometime three abreast down that lane - the consideration works both ways.

Reply Posted by Susan Horne on Friday March 25 2016 at 21:38
Today I slowed down to pass 2 horses. I always give them a wide berth but some idiot shot passed me and the horses and had to drive up onto the right hand pavement to do it. He was too fast for anyone get his reg no. Total complete IDIOT.

Reply Posted by PAUL on Saturday March 26 2016 at 11:39
WHEN IM IN A CAR I ALWAYS SPOT AN HORSE N IF SUM1 ELSE IZ DRIVING ILL ALWAYZ SHOUT SLOW DOWN N PASS SAFELY.BUT THEN DO U PAY TAX?NO IV SEEN SO MANY TIMES WHEN A HORSE AS CAUSED A ACCIDENT OR A NEAR CAR ON CAR ACCIDENT DEW 2 THE HORSE FLIPPIN OUT.U KNOW THERE TEMPREMENTAL N CAN KIK OFF AT ANY TIME.THERE R WOODZ N WAGGON WAYZ PENNINE WAY NEED I GO ON THERES NO REASON FOR AN HORSE 2 BE ON ROAD.IF YA WANNA USE ROAD START PAYING TAX,INSURANCE,MOT ECT,ECT

Reply Posted by Mr Reality Check on Saturday March 26 2016 at 19:42
Sweet Jesus, I thought I was having a stroke trying to read that. "there's no reason for [a] horse to be on [a]road..." - because they can fly between green spaces? Horses were on the road before cars.

I look forward to putting your response through an enigma code system.

Moron.

Reply Posted by Jade on Sunday March 27 2016 at 17:10
I see someone doesn't know how to use a dictionary or even spell check!!! Your comment Paul is nearly as atrocious as your grammar. M.O.T on a horse...don't make me laugh & for horses not being able to use the roads lol They have as much right to be on the roads as any car/van/bus etc. Having been a horse rider for many years I have insurance on my animals unlike some car drivers. I am also a professional driver & have been for over 20 years. Are you a driver or just someone who thinks they know how to drive? You say you've seen quite a few "near misses" with car's & horses, were you the cause. I've lost count how many times I've had idiots drive up behind me too quickly, revving their engines, pipping their horns. Even though I'm an experienced rider this can still cause problems for both myself & the driver, if my horse kicks out & decides to "flip out" (your words) the driver normally starts to be abusive. Shouting "get ya f...ing horse under control" doesn't help, more so when it's their fault my horse plays up in the first place. When I learnt to drive I was told/shown how to pass an animal safely. It was/is in the "Highway Code Book" how to pass safely, looks like some people are far too quick to criticise the rider before looking at their own behavior on the road.

Reply Posted by grim reaper on Tuesday March 29 2016 at 15:56
Beautifully written .

Reply Posted by Dale on Saturday March 26 2016 at 12:15
Rs tha mot an horse haha

Reply Posted by bobby buttercrack on Saturday March 26 2016 at 13:14
Paul...are you are a brain donor? You sound thicker than a submarine door. Its Barnsley mate, not downtown LA.

Reply Posted by Hayley on Sunday March 27 2016 at 18:38
I think this is a bit silly really horses and cars on the road isn't right.

Reply Posted by grim reaper on Tuesday March 29 2016 at 15:58
The people of France eat horses .

Reply Posted by Whats Occurrin on Monday March 28 2016 at 21:36
Motorised transport owners + road fund licence charges + insurance costs = the right to use public highways.
People enjoying leisure activities whilst leaving "mess" from their chosen method of "transport" behind them - road fund licence charges - insurance costs - the cost of clearing up their mess = NO rights to be on the highways.
Just like the freeloading cyclists, the horse riding fraternity seem to think they deserve the same rights on our roads as the motorists who actually PAY THEIR WAY!
My respected fellow writer of comments (Mr Reality Check) may remember our previous conversation regarding cyclists.
Hope you are still in fine fettle MRC, (and you are quite correct about PAUL)...at least one major organ in his body requires TOTAL replacement!

Reply Posted by Sally on Monday March 28 2016 at 22:18
I ride up and down edderthorpe lane and we sometime ride 2 side by side never 3 and this is by advice of police. Ppl drive crazy fast down that lane and really its an access road for residents. Ppl just need to slow down and always expect horses to be ridden up and down that lane througout the day.

Reply Posted by Me, Here on Tuesday March 29 2016 at 11:23
I`m sorry Sally but I think you`re wrong, Edderthorpe Lane is a public highway - not just for residents access only. I`m also surprised that the Police gave you advice to ride two-abreast, if this was a cyclist they could potentially be cautioned by the Police for obstruction.
The one thing that does surprise me is that the signs at both ends are national speed limit rated, please correct me if I'm wrong, but theoretically this means that motorists can legal travel down there at 60mph on a single carriageway.
I agree with you 100%, there are some real idiots on that road, and as I use it regularly have had a few near misses on blind bends etc. I`ve also seen a couple of road rage incidents where people drive too close to the car in front.
Again, I`ll go back to my original comment that mutual respect and awareness is needed on both sides.

ipso Regulated