Council scoops top award

Thursday March 17 2016

Barnsley Council Barnsley Council

BARNSLEY COUNCIL scooped a top award on Wednesday night.

The Enterprising Barnsley project came away with the top award in the prestigious Driving Growth category at this year’s 20th anniversary Local Government Chronicle (LGC) awards.

The LGC Awards identify, celebrate and help share the finest examples of innovation and quality delivered by councils on a daily basis.

Enterprising Barnsley offers a wide range of free support to private sector investors moving into the area, existing business owners looking to expand and entrepreneurs launching start-up ventures. The project has helped provide 762 businesses with customised business coaching support and created 276 new businesses.

It has also helped to stimulate significant private sector job growth, ranking Barnsley in the top ten in the country for growth in the last decade.

LGC Judges commented: “This project demonstrated tangible outcomes over a sustained period.”

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Friday March 18 2016 at 14:22
Council wins enterprise award in a town which is 30,000 jobs short of other similar sized towns in the UK.

Startup businesses in Barnsley are statistically more likely to fail than in other similar sized towns.

What does that say for the credibility of this "Award"

Reply Posted by Jayne on Friday March 18 2016 at 15:56
This is so funny. Barnsley council are utter tripe every one of em. They don't give a toss about any of us in Barnsley. Behave thi Sen this is a proper wind up

Reply Posted by Fred on Saturday March 19 2016 at 09:03
The award for;

Not giving a damn about anyone goes to.........BMBC
Not being able to run **** up in a brewery goes to ......BMBC
Waisting so much money it's incomprehensible goes to .......BMBC
Best at lining each other's pockets goes to .......BMBC
Incompetence bordering on criminal goes to ......BMBC
Blaming everything they mess up on central government goes to ....BMBC

Reply Posted by Steven James on Sunday March 20 2016 at 11:28
Now this is one thing we can definitely agree on Fred.

Reply Posted by Ada on Monday March 21 2016 at 12:00
All you people that moan about BMBC are the ones who can chage things? Next local election vote for some other party!!! You are like sheep, ie, well we've always voted labour!!! For gods sake give another party a chance!! It's no good voting them in in moaning about what they do!! Stand up and be counted and do something different for a change?

Reply Posted by Steven James on Monday March 21 2016 at 15:18
I haven't voted Labour for 20 years and will never vote for them whilst ever I have breath in my lungs!

The have done NOTHING for this rown, I repeat NOTHING!

What STILL astonishes me is that the good people of this once proud town STILL VOTE THE LABOUR CLOWNS IN TIME AFTER TIME AFTER TIME!

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Monday March 21 2016 at 17:09
Ada, I hope you aren't insinuating that any of the commentors on here vote labour as I think it's pretty obvious they don't. I would vote in a cardboard cut out as long as it wasn't wearing that red rosette. God know I'd don't think it would do a worse job. Any party will get my vote next time even if it's just to add some competition at the town hall.

Reply Posted by Fred on Monday March 21 2016 at 21:00
Same for me Steven !

Reply Posted by paul on Monday March 21 2016 at 22:08
to gavelar...do us all a favour and give your head a shake. BMBC have won an award deal with it and stop moaning every time you post.

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Monday March 21 2016 at 22:55

Reply Posted by Steven James on Tuesday March 22 2016 at 16:44
I see my comments have been deleted YET AGAIN WAB POLICE!

I am beginning to think that this forum id moderated by BMBC themselves as wo betide anyone that DARES speak ill of them!

We are all entitled to an opinion so STOP DELETING OUR COMMENTS!

ipso Regulated