Family cats shot in Athersley

Tuesday March 15 2016

Gizmo and Smudge Gizmo and Smudge

TWO MUCH-LOVED family cats have died after being gunned down in Athersley North.

Katy Grove's two cats, Smudge and Gizmo, were shot at the weekend.

Gizmo had to be put down after being shot in her spine, while Smudge was also put down after being shot in the face.

It is the second time the family has faced the ordeal.

In 2014, their cat Maisie was also shot.

Police are now investigating.

Reply Posted by Rita on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 13:25
There really are some sick and twisted people in Barnsley. The person who did this clearly has some significant and dangerous mental health issues. Who ever you are, please seek professional help!!

Reply Posted by Jj on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 13:51
What street wos it on plz as I'm on north with 2 cats

Reply Posted by Wiggsy on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 14:10
It's somewhere backing onto a farm. I can't remember the name of the street that was mentioned yesterday on facebook.

Reply Posted by LE on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 15:04
A boy on my newsfeed has shared this post laughing about it, claiming "all cats need putting darn" and saying how he's "p***ing" at it. I can't believe a single human being could find this acceptable, never mind funny! But who knows. The person who did it probably thought it was funny too. I feel so sick and disgusted. I hope that the owner or owners are coping at such a horrible time.

Reply Posted by Tom on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 18:35
Cats should be given the same rights and protection as dogs in law.

Reply Posted by claire on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 19:55
In February one of my cats was also shot in the face, this was in Gawber. Thankfully, she was very lucky and survived. This was reported to both the police and RSPCA who both said they would be in touch for further details to look into the crime but as yet neither of them have and I'm not really sure what they could do anyway. It sickens me to think that someone would deliberately do this knowing full well it is someone's much loved pet

Reply Posted by Tony on Tuesday March 15 2016 at 21:55
It's the lowlife scum that needs putting down. Unfortunately they won't have a brain cell between them

Reply Posted by Davie on Wednesday March 16 2016 at 20:18
Someone kicked my cat 10 feet in front of me, they ended up with a piece of my mind, and size 13's

Reply Posted by Sam on Saturday March 19 2016 at 19:17
Keep your cats inside as much as possible. There are some sick people around and cats are a rising target. I had to shout at two kids on our street to f*** off away from my cat after they tried throwing stones at him. Luckily none hit. My heart goes out to Ms Grove.

Reply Posted by Amanda batley on Sunday March 20 2016 at 16:24
I've got 8 cats and I don't let them out! I really feel for the family who's cats they were, r.i.p kitties :( and yes cats should be given same protection has dogs!!!

ipso Regulated