Council changes bin process

Thursday March 10 2016

Barnsley Council Barnsley Council

THE COUNCIL is changing the way residents order new bins.

From Monday 4 April Barnsley residents will no longer be able to collect waste or recycling bins they have ordered from Smithies Lane depot.

Instead residents will need to place an order for the bins online and the bin will be delivered to them.

The Council says that due to safety reasons, members of the public can no longer access the Smithies Lane depot, as it is a busy site with a constant flow of vehicle fleets making waste and recycling collections, providing neighborhood services and keeping highways maintained.

Reply Posted by Gary on Thursday March 10 2016 at 15:56
When I had a dodgy green bin, the kind that split easily. It was easy to collect a new one from the Smithies Lane depot. Not dangerous either. I just dropped off my old bin and picked up a new one. No cost to myself. I'm guessing this will cost money? If so how much?

Reply Posted by Neil on Thursday March 10 2016 at 17:13
I agree Gary it was drop one off pick one up wats more easier than that a lot of people don't go online

Reply Posted by daz on Thursday March 10 2016 at 17:22
try to make it sound like the doing extra work thats what its always been like just trying save the sens money yet council tax goes up and services get worse where the r8 in that ya should be doing more if tax bills go up!

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Thursday March 10 2016 at 19:05
Nice one. Expect the bin list to get loooooooong. Some fowk are still waiting from the last time they asked if you needed one. Also no mention of the cost. Wab do some research. Is it free?

Reply Posted by marilyn hallworth on Friday March 11 2016 at 12:05
This is all well and good but when we ordered new bins it took several phone calls and about 6 months before they arrived!!!

Reply Posted by MrMe on Friday March 11 2016 at 12:09
And with this, the council can then enforce a delivery fee. Also, Im betting that damage to bins caused by the bin men would still incur a cost to us.

Reply Posted by ALISON Strutt on Friday March 11 2016 at 12:12
We've been waiting since October for a white bag, + still waiting. Every time I ring it's oh they should be here in next couple of weeks, Christ how long does it take. It was better when we could put them in blue bin

Reply Posted by Jackie on Saturday March 12 2016 at 00:14
I picked a white bag up on Thursday, there was a bin full of them and didn't have to walk onsite, they were opposite gaye control

Reply Posted by Steven James on Saturday March 12 2016 at 08:29
The white paper bags are a waste of time, I have had FOUR since they were introduced and they simply rot.
A complete and utter waste of money yet again from the BMBC clowns.

Reply Posted by michelle on Friday March 11 2016 at 12:32
Last time I rang council to order a replacement bin as mine ended up being split from bin men chucking it about and not giving a care, I was told I could have them delivered but had to pay a Fee of £15 otherwise i could collect them from smith's depo free of charge

Reply Posted by Em on Friday March 11 2016 at 12:44
Are they actually going to deliver it to the house then instead of dumping it anywhere they feel like so anybody can take it?

Reply Posted by Marie on Friday March 11 2016 at 13:44
I work for the Council and can honestly say that it's shambolic and I think that most if it's remaining employees would agree. They've got rid of hundreds of staff and have lots of staff on generic job profiles because apparently you don't need any knowledge to do a particular job just skills that can be transferred to do lots of different jobs, what a load of crap. Now if general public want to speak to someone about a specific matter that previously would have been dealt with efficiently and by someone with experience and knowledge in that specific area they're now faced with talking to someone who can talk the talk in an interview but knows absolutely nothing about the job they're supposed to be doing.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Saturday March 12 2016 at 08:32
For those that also wanted to know....
Yes BMBC made hundreds of people redundant last year but some of the current staff are in work TODAY on OVERTIME ensuring that your council tax bills are sent out on time.

I kid you not!

You couldn't make it up could you?

BMBC wasting OUR MONEY for the last 100 years!

Reply Posted by Michelle on Friday March 11 2016 at 14:06
Yes cause it costs 15 pound to have it delivered and reason why they have to do it is cause government has cut budgets so low they need to make money somehow :(

Reply Posted by r Taylor on Friday March 11 2016 at 20:31
How do they keep highways safe tbh its a load of crap

Reply Posted by Confused.com on Friday March 11 2016 at 20:37
Hope this year goes better than last , my niece ordered bigger bins , and replacement green one, because it was split , one year on quite a few phone calls , and still waiting, lol

Reply Posted by Milly on Friday March 11 2016 at 21:45
Well that's it then! No one will have a bin , been waiting 6 months plus for a new white back that I ordered online.
What a complete joke ....that saying "if it ain't broke, don't fix it" ....simply went straight over some jobs worths head...
Too much trouble for the little hitter in his little hut at the smithies site, to get up from his chair and deal with the problem I bet.
Pathetic it really is.

Reply Posted by Marie on Saturday March 12 2016 at 14:00
All good IFF they get round to delivering the bins that is!!!
I orderd my sister a Grey bin back in November and i have rang up several times AND STILL NO GREY BIN!!!!

Reply Posted by Michael on Saturday March 12 2016 at 16:57
Simple idea, but what about letting us pick them up from dump pit site's

Reply Posted by christine Nixon on Saturday March 12 2016 at 21:25
I asked for my bigger bins about two yrs ago when first offered to us, didn't get them I've phoned several times since. Have I got them? No. I asked again about 6 or 7 weeks ago, still not got them.

Reply Posted by ang on Sunday March 13 2016 at 14:22
My mum ordered a new bin 3 months ago n still waiting for it.

Reply Posted by deb on Monday March 14 2016 at 22:00
I believe they charge £15 for delivery, so that will mean people won't be requesting any bins, then they'll be rubbish all over estates, they didn't state it will be free!

Reply Posted by bmlolbc on Wednesday March 30 2016 at 01:28
blind leading the blind down there in most cases. don't think I would want to go in that depot full stop it like a circus show. think the real reason will be to avoid the anyone seeing them dispose if waste irresponsibly or if you or I did it it would be illegal. yes I said it and they know it...they want us to pay more for a lesser service while lining their own pockets. also paying tax is not law, if you believe your funds are being used for killing families and innocent children countries in country's like Syria, Afghan and more there are many other reasons. do your own research on this and lets stop funding the real terrorist.

Reply Posted by ann on Wednesday March 30 2016 at 01:45
So not only the staff they don't care about now the paying public lol cant collect the bins and they cant deliver!! hard times to say immigration is supposed to benefit the economy.. I see a lot of immigrants in Barnsley but not so many improvements to essential services.

Reply Posted by Matt farr on Friday March 24 2017 at 08:38
I think it is ridiculous now as there is a £20 charge for delivery with no exception.