Council reveals cost of waste

Monday February 29 2016

Waste cost revealed Waste cost revealed

THE COUNCIL has revealed how much it costs to collect and dispose of waste per household in Barnsley.

A grey bin costs £54.37 per household every time a bin is collected and its contents disposed of. Green and brown recycling bins cost £4.04 and £3.65. A blue bin costs £1.65.

The cost is affected by how much homeowners recycle.

The total waste collected from residents last year was 81,000 tonnes, which the council says demonstrates the need to recycle.

Reply Posted by big dav on Monday February 29 2016 at 11:05
how can this be accurate, i only put my grey bin out every 4th grey collection,

Reply Posted by AndtT on Monday February 29 2016 at 11:32
Guess they're getting this in early to explain the council tax increase that we're soon to be told about!

Reply Posted by NonnyRat on Monday February 29 2016 at 12:16
Is that per year? Per month?

Reply Posted by Sandra Robinsons on Monday February 29 2016 at 12:21
Not many people recycle their rubbish where I live, plus some have more than 1 grey bin. Lack of education or just pure laziness I think. If people were advised they would be fined for not recycling they're would think twice about what rubbish goes in which bin.

Reply Posted by madge on Monday February 29 2016 at 12:45
I tried to get recycling bins as I only have grey and green and was told I would have to pick them up or pay for them delivering, I'm on my own and don't drive so can't collect and refuse to pay for delivery so everything goes in the grey bin

Reply Posted by Pete doherty on Monday February 29 2016 at 15:14
How much does the council get from our recycling

Reply Posted by Someknw on Monday February 29 2016 at 15:45
Yes but how much do they make on selling our recycling?

Reply Posted by Hmm on Monday February 29 2016 at 17:56
That can't be right. They are saying that to empty my bins costs £1,656.46 a year

Reply Posted by Lee on Tuesday March 1 2016 at 13:41
Agree, according to these figures it costs more to empty a bin from a band A property than the tax collected from it????

Reply Posted by Steven James on Monday February 29 2016 at 19:21
Funnily enough there is no mention how much revenue the council claw back from US recycling OUR waste!
How much is a ton of Aluminium these days?

Hmm sceptical.

Reply Posted by Eve on Monday February 29 2016 at 19:37
It costs me more than that in phone calls to this incompetent council.

Reply Posted by Observer on Tuesday March 1 2016 at 09:14
I heard on the radio last year that the woman in charge of the waste collection is happy with what is charged to deal with waste. And how it is dealt with. I agree with some points made. Particularly the ones saying they have taken their own bins to dumpit sites. Why cant we have an opt out scheme. You are by law allowed to burn rubbish on youre premises between certain times at evenjngs if you are above the age of 17. So lets all olt out, take a refund from the council, and burn it. They surely cant charge us for a service they do not provide?

Reply Posted by Jayne on Tuesday March 1 2016 at 13:09
BMBC hasn't collected grey bin for over 13 years, don't even posses blue green or brown bins. What we can't burn and recycle into central heating is recycled at the dump site. Where can we claim refund and is it back dated? I think not!

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Tuesday March 1 2016 at 13:31
This is absolute rubbish pardon the pun, thank you to WAB for reading the article and clarifying it costs apparently 54.37 every time a bin is emptied, they must take us for idiots. Using their own sums a it must be costing the council a couple of hundred grand a day to empty bins if they emptied say 4,000 which I'm sure is no where near the real figure.

Some sums

so based on these figures alone.

4,000 bins x £54.37 = £217,480
* 5 for the number of working weekdays = £1,087,400
* 52 for the number of weeks per year = £56,544,800

The councils budget annual budget is around £186,000,000 with roughly only £76,000,000 coming from council tax receipts which according to these figures means that two thirds of our council tax goes on emptying your grey bin.

Wow - I mean I knew BMBC were financially inept but that is some shocking figures right there - make no wonder they want to allow any developer under the sun to build whereever they want. they need the extra council tax to empty more bins!

Astonishing...

Reply Posted by Ape on Friday March 4 2016 at 11:16
Why did you remove my comment pointing out your news report is wrong?

The cost is per collection as is clearly stated in the reports which you got the information from

Reply Posted by John Earnshaw on Saturday March 5 2016 at 14:18
Why is there such a big difference in costs for collecting the grey bins compared to the other coloured bins?
When are you going to include more items for recycling, as other authorities include lots more items as being recycleanle?

Reply Posted by Barry Scott on Saturday March 5 2016 at 21:58
Excuse the pun but what a load of crap, I could get an 8 tonne skip and the whole street (30 houses) could use it and would only cost £170!!! Just shows how much these overheads are getting paid!!!!

Reply Posted by Nicola pettinger on Saturday March 5 2016 at 23:03
Well it would be nice to have big blue and Brown bins. Still waiting since they changed the collections etc and asked us to e-mail if we wanted bigger bins. Pull out your fingerers and I could recycle more.