Fire warning after tumble dryer recall

Friday February 12 2016

Fire warning Fire warning

FIRE chiefs have urged locals to check their appliances after an urgent product recall of certain tumble dryers which are a fire risk.

The national product recall of Hotpoint, Indesit and Creda dryers manufactured between April 2004 and September 2015, comes after new data revealed that one machine bursts into flame almost every day.

The data revealed 926 fires caused by dryers were reported to emergency services between 2011 and 2013 – equal to 309 a year.

Users of the dryers are advised to stop using the product immediately, until it has been inspected and declared safe to use by a manufacturer's engineer.

For further advice, visit http://www.electricalsafetyfirst.org.uk/product-recalls/2015/11/hotpoint,-indesit-and-creda-tumble-dryers/

Reply Posted by lee on Friday February 12 2016 at 21:09
hotpoint useless recall service,i contacted them on 4 nov 2015 and i am still waiting for my tumble dryer to be (what they call) modified.received 1 email stating repair would take place in february check online again now repair date moved to sometime in march,have sent numerous emails to no avail, terrible service from such a well known company still told can use tumble dryer but yet fire service and electrical safety state stop using until repaired

Reply Posted by Mel on Friday February 12 2016 at 23:58
I too have registered my Hotpoint dryer for recall on 5th Jan and have had confirmation from Hotpoint due to high demand they will be able to complete modifications to my dryer in August!!!! Alternatively if the dryer is over 1 year old and I don't want to wait until August I can have a brand new dryer at a reduced price £99. Appalling service in view of the above data and advice.

Reply Posted by Mrs T on Saturday February 13 2016 at 08:11
I reported my dryer in November after seeing the recall on ITV News. The repair man came on Sunday morning to rectify the problem (only takes an hour). He was saying that out of 2.5 million dryers sold, only 750,000K have been reported to them. They currently have 200 engineers working 7 days a week to rectify the problem... hang in there!!!

Reply Posted by gail on Saturday February 13 2016 at 13:11
that's probably because like mine they have already set on fire

Reply Posted by gail on Saturday February 13 2016 at 13:10
Mine actually set on fire while kids where in house if it was not for a neighbour house would have been seriously damaged just received the warning letter last week which was too late

Reply Posted by Carol on Saturday February 13 2016 at 14:36
I checked on their website months ago and was told my machine was ok not one of those affected. Last week got a warning letter from them so checked again guess what mine is one of those at risk. Yet God knows when they will send an engineer but it's still safe to use!!! When I senyt an e mail to query this it was conveniently ignored by the company...

Reply Posted by Lisa Thompson on Monday February 15 2016 at 11:26
Which hot point dryers is it x

Reply Posted by Neil on Monday February 15 2016 at 13:36
This is months behind the recall announcement. They are struggling to respond and service, instead they are emailing customers with an offer of a replacement. We got a £300 machine for £99 free fitting and take old one away. Common sense though people, don't leave tumble dryers running when your not there to check on them.

Reply Posted by Bob on Monday February 15 2016 at 13:43
It's not a recall. It's a modification campaign.

Reply Posted by Sharon on Monday February 15 2016 at 16:59
I contacted Hotpoint as I received warning letter and my dryer was identified as needing modification. I tried December 2015 with no response so tried again and again via e mail didn't hear anything so decided to ring them. As I live in a three storey house with dryer on lower level utility room I couldn't be stood next to it whilst in use as stated in letter "do not leave unattended". They're response was they could make the modification in July or I could purchase another dryer at a reduced cost. So no choice I'm having to buy another dryer and my original one is only just out of guarantee.

Reply Posted by Angela on Tuesday February 16 2016 at 06:42
I too contacted Hotpoint in Nov 2015 and have only received an email, however I haven't even been given a date for my 'service'. Very poor customer service, if we can't use them we should be able to have a replacement , nearly 4 months down the line is not good enough!!!!!

Reply Posted by Mandy on Tuesday February 16 2016 at 10:51
I had a letter back in December to ring and book an appointment for my dryer to be inspected as I have one of the potential fire hazards. I rang same day. Asked what make (indesit) and what colour sticker was on the front. They said mine was high risk. Still waiting for someone to ring me back. Advice I was given was to carry on using the dryer but don't leave it on unattended. I never do. It's a joke when they can't even be bothered to follow up potential fire risks!!!