Bus problems as company ceases trading

Tuesday February 9 2016

Tates Tates

A BARNSLEY bus company has ceased trading leading to scores of locals waiting for buses that won't turn up.

Tates Travel ceased its services yesterday (February 8) in a shock announcement that gave passengers less than 24 hours notice of the plans.

The services affected are all those delivered by Tates - including the 24; 28; 28A; 28B; 29; 92; 96; 96A; and 97.

** Updates on routes affected will be published here. **

MP Michael Dugher has demanded the South Yorkshire Passenger Transport Executive (SYPTE) step in and ensure passengers aren’t left high and dry.

He said: "With the shock collapse of Tates Travel, we need to make sure that local people are not left high and dry, and cut off in their communities.

“It is appallingly shoddy treatment that Tates have given less than 24 hours’ notice of all their bus routes ending when passengers depend on their services in Barnsley and South Yorkshire.”

Reply Posted by Anon on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 09:58
What about staff left high and dry with no job and no clue what was happening quick mr MP get us a job with another company

Reply Posted by Observer on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 10:22
This is an opportunity for stagecoach to inrease their prices.

Reply Posted by Barnsley Teen on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 11:28
Yeah, public not getting buses is an issue, but the bigger problem is getting all those staff into new employment. Jobs are hard to get nowadays.

Reply Posted by Lucy on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 12:57
And as people who have used these buses in the past know that these really were the 'crem de la crem' of drivers (may have been a touch of sarcasm there)

Reply Posted by Nathan on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 11:57
8/8a is always late or don't even bothering Turing up.

Reply Posted by Neil on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 12:19
To be expected for a company like this
Feel sorry for the drivers but management prob will be rich enough not to care as usal

Reply Posted by me on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 12:22
well there it is local mp avin a go because no notice was given to passengers what about all the staff I was given no notice that I lost my job yesterday I finished my duty got bk to depot to be told by the way u don't have a job anymore so spare a thought for all the staff that are looking for work this morning MP Michael Dugher

Reply Posted by Martin simpson on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 12:51
I have worked for tate's travel for almost 6 years. For mp Michael dugher to not have a thought for the all us staff that were layed off with no notice is appalling . I'm sure "mp Michael dugher" will be going out of his way to help all the staff of tates find alternative employment. .....NOT.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 13:25
You are under the misapprehension that Dugher gives a monkeys about people losing their jobs.
Then again are we at all surprised when Dugher opens his gob.

Don't know why he is sticking his two penneth in anyway as Tates isn't in is constituency.

Sincerely hope all the drivers get jobs as soon as possible.

Reply Posted by Mystery on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 18:58
All those who put in complaints about Tates. Well done. What did you all think would end up happening.

Reply Posted by Inmyopinion on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 19:11
It looks like you are blaming the passengers for complaining as to why they went bust, if they ran as they should have there would not have been complaints.

Reply Posted by Paul Salmon on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 19:09
Now left high and dry with the demise of the 97 - no service from Hall Green to Barnsley after 50 years
SYPTE and WYPTE don't really give a monkeys about cross boundary services, with no obvious movement to restore this and the 96

Arriva used to run the scad 443/444 until Tates took over in 2009

As forvTates they have lost so many passengers with their diabolical unreliability that passengers had lost all confidence in the services they run

I am not holding my breath and I am now faced with 3 and a half hours of daily commute which is not acceptable when I am only 7 miles from Barnsley

The 97 only took me about 50 mins, but the 59 with additional walking time is over 1 and a half hours each way!

The service from hall green to Barnsley has been destroyed over the years with the demise of the X33, 445, 446, 58, 443, 444 Cygnet and Arriva and now finished with the loss of the 96 and 97

Paul

Reply Posted by roger delaney on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 19:59
you have a 3 and half of daily commute and you live only 7 miles from Barnsley, I walk to work approx. 5 miles has buses no longer operate services on my route, takes me 1 hr 20 mins approx

Reply Posted by Petra on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 13:00
I know I am in a similar predicament with regards to the 97 I reguarly used the service to get from Barnsley to Wolley Village again whilst there is another service it doesn't go straight through. Also had a friend who lived on Huddersfield Road in Barnsley and for about 1 mile (along a main road I might add), there is now no longer a service because around 5 years ago it was deemed that the hospital had to have a service every 10 minutes, during peak hours.

Reply Posted by anon on Tuesday February 9 2016 at 21:46
This is going to leave a lot of children stranded next week as many use the 97 service to get to kettlethorpe high school.

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 09:25
Yeah sad for passengers but as one of the employees of tates think about all us drivers that have found our selfs out of work with mouths to feed bills to pay. They can replace services but we will be the ones struggling to find work in today's climate

Reply Posted by Upsetting on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 11:23
Thoughts are with the employees, my dad lost his job totally unannounced when I was a child & it's such a scary time. If you're not lucky enough to find another job immediately please seek help from citizens advice, your banks and utility providers. They all can help in times of hardship. I wish you all luck in finding a new job.

Reply Posted by Mystery history on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 11:49
Some of the bus drivers did themselves no favours by the way they treated the passengers. So for me, unlucky. You knew the way the firm was heading with all the complaints. You didn't give a toss about us passengers then, why should we give a toss about you former drivers now?

Reply Posted by Mark on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 12:13
Rubbish service I live in Upton West Yorkshire always late and sometimes never turned up glad they gone busted good crap service

Reply Posted by Clueless on Wednesday February 10 2016 at 21:52
I wish all the drivers from tates and management all the best in the future can't have been easy I'm sure this wasn't a easy decision nor would it have been done without good reason just a shame there wasn't no support from the local community for the local business now there's no competition just you watch your bus fairs go up stagecoach has no reason to keep to low fairs now,

Reply Posted by Jordan on Thursday February 11 2016 at 19:15
Had a Tates bus cut me up outside asda going towards Burton road on Sunday, it had all rear brake lights and indicator out on left hand side, was in wrong lane and nearly caused a crash bout 1:30pm... Was going to call and complain this weekend when im off work but cant do that now...

Reply Posted by JEAN on Friday February 12 2016 at 19:12
Tates have never been a customer focussed company in my opinion. When you complain about buses running 10-15 mins EARLY u got the excuse that you must have been looking at wrong timetable. REALLY.
If stagecoach take over 34/34a then we might get a decent service to supplement Arriva 193/194.