Thousands of locals in fuel poverty

Thursday January 21 2016

winter fuel payments fire warm winter fuel payments fire warm

OVER 1,000 homes in Barnsley don't have central heating with almost 10,000 families being too pinched to be able to afford to pay to heat their homes.

The shocking statistics show some 9,421 householdsliving in fuel poverty as a result of the poor energy efficiency of housing, coupled with rising fuel prices and low levels of household income mean they can't afford to heat their homes.

And - despite figures showing thousands of Barnsley locals have died unnecessarily in winter as a direct result of being cold - nearly 1,000 households do not currently have central heating installed

A new scheme is now offering help and a pensioner on Day Street has been the first to get central heating fitted - for free.

John Key, 84, said: “I’ve never had central heating as I thought I couldn’t afford to have it fitted or run it, I’m a pensioner. It was very cold upstairs in winter, especially at night time.”

To be eligible for the central heating fund households must have an income of less than £15,860 after mortgage or rent costs have been deducted. The scheme is open to anyone who owns or privately rents their home

Information drop in sessions will be taking place at the Better Barnsley shop, Cheapside, on Fridays, 22 January 26 February between 10am and 1pm.

Reply Posted by Tom on Thursday January 21 2016 at 16:33
Energy prices and the cost of oil has plummeted - With the cost of a barrel of oil falling by 75%. Have these reductions been passed onto the consumer?

In part, yes, in full, most definitely not.

Reply Posted by Mick on Thursday January 21 2016 at 19:37
energy prices will stay too high while our bills include the cost of subsidising 'free' central heating systems. Apart from the fact that the costs should be met by the property owner, bureaucratic schemes like this are never cost efficient for the general taxpayer. The govt is cutting the number of schemes down, but until very recently not only could you get free insulation, you could also get a cash lump sum paid with it. Proof that the contractors were getting much more money than it cost them to install the insulation and encouraging people who already had enough insulation to ask for more just to get the cashback.

Once all the extras are stripped out of the bills, it should be easier to see if we are being ripped off. Then if the energy companies are making massive profits the govt should introduce new taxes on them.

Reply Posted by s on Sunday January 24 2016 at 20:34
There was no fuel poverty in 70s,80s and 90s because people nowadays put their need to pay for mobile phone contracts at £65 a month and broadband,plus sports above the need to keep warm

Reply Posted by Sarah on Monday January 25 2016 at 11:20
I agree in part with you S, people didnt have all these modern gadgets so had more money to spend so no fuel poverty. Also, if a house is an old one and you put central heating in it, it is only a matter of time before problems arise,i.e. mould, dry coughs. My house is around 107 years old so wasnt built for heating systems and boy do we know it.

Reply Posted by MARY on Monday January 25 2016 at 11:50
at the moment me and my husband are doing with out gas the only haeting we have at the moment is one electric fire and a hot water bottle which we onlt use wen we really need to my husband as worked all his life but is out off a job because of his health which is gettin worse we buy electric and food and the food is cooked by chip pan and microwave the shower is electric i do buy gas once a fortnight which only last for 2 an half days we try to makes ends meet but some times we after do with out luckly the weather is not too its ether one or other for some people and its not a nice place to be in some times

Reply Posted by MARY on Monday January 25 2016 at 11:50

Reply Posted by Raymondo on Monday January 25 2016 at 13:26
In this day in age it's absolutely shocking. We call ourselves a civilised society yet treat people like it's the victorian era.

It will only get worse too - when our foreign owned utilities decide to squeeze more the consumer will be powerless to do anything as our spineless government are in bed with the,

Reply Posted by Footiechic on Tuesday January 26 2016 at 07:32
Okay everyone is blaming the Government
What about Barnsley council taking some Responsibility too.
I and many more pay 11p per KWH in real terms If I have my water on for 1hr it cost me over 90p to heat up, the heating for 3 hr day set at 19* =nearly £4.00 this is not with a commercial company big 5 or smaller.
it's with Barnsley Council on the District Heating program with Switch2....
Again Barnsley council try looking at home before blaming others...
So when you all spent the money the gov n big 5 gave u up to and over £440 for elderly this winter. remember us paying Barnsley council high prices...

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 27 2016 at 11:22
I use prepayment meters for my gas and electric and it wasn't until recently I realised just how much of the payments I put on the meters goes in standing charges 26p a day over 365 days £94 that's just the gas meter so add on the charge for the electricity meter and then we wander why the money we put on the meters doesn't last long,how about the government doing something about the cost of standing charges so that the money we put on our meters is used for gas and electricity

Reply Posted by anon on Wednesday January 27 2016 at 11:22

Reply Posted by David Wood on Wednesday January 27 2016 at 13:59
How can this be allowed to happen throughout Yorkshire and the UK as a whole when our government as well as Town Councils are taking in more and more refugees and illegal immigrants, why is it that our government and town councils can find the money to house, feed, put clothes on their backs as well as give them free medical care, prescriptions and money, yet we can't look after our elderly and our homeless. Over to you