News » WAB Debate

Should Council Tax be increased to help cover policing costs?

Wednesday January 6 2016

Dr Alan Billings Dr Alan Billings

MORE neighbourhood police - including PCSOs - will only be available if the community steps in to pay extra council tax to pay for them.

South Yorkshire's police and crime commissioner has asked the public if he should add extra fees into council tax charges to cover policing costs.

Dr Alan Billings sets the budget for policing each year - it's mainly paid for by a government grant with the remaining quarter being funded by council tax payer as a precept payment.

It would mean an increase of 10p per week or £5 per year for Band D properties (this does not include any raise added by the council.)

He said he could use the money to strengthen neighbourhood policing, including Police Community Support Officers.

What do you think? Is the 10p a week a fair exchange for extra neighbourhood policing? Or is it a step too far?
Have your say in the box below.

Reply Posted by Del on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 16:26
Yes it is worth it. I know it's not easy for people to mange. But safety comes first. The government should pay up but they will not. It's up to us poor sods to foot the bill. Could we here in Barnsley createll a force of volunteers with radio links to the forces of power.how many would help.

Reply Posted by Owd Bill on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 19:18
Too many senior officers sat around in expensive offices and not enough 'boots on the ground' That is one of the problems. Also, why do we need all those BMW's, surely there are cheaper vehicles that would do the job just as well. There are many cost savings that could be made, but the people responsible for making savings are themselves on the 'gravy train'

Reply Posted by Mary on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 20:00
No I think policing should be made more efficient with poor performers made redundant and harsher enforcements such as fines put in place for those committing crime.

Reply Posted by Ed on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 20:25
I would agree to extra council tax if the police stopped sitting in Asda cafe drinking free coffee on a night and stopped using the police cars for personal use like getting money from cash points and getting sandwiches for lunch from service stations maybe people woundn't have to wait three days when reporting an incident

Reply Posted by Gavelar on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 20:39
I would pay extra if we could get rid of the pcc office. He's on 85k a year and so far I fail to see what he brings to the table. Just another labour crony.

Reply Posted by David Wood on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 21:28
Hang on! This gentleman in the picture has failed on every single one of his priorities that were listed on his last campaign poster, now he's asking us to pay for his failures! Plus If I remember rightly and correct me if I'm wrong he also stated that no PCC should be a X police officer or have been involved politics, yet he was a councillor for 13 years and spent 5 years as the deputy leader of Sheffield Council. I think he needs to re think his position and his priorities again. As it stands today he's failed in his job and now he's asking every householder in Barnsley to help him out of a hole. He gets to keep his job for failing to protect the service that as far as I'm concerned I'm already paying for in my council tax. No way Jose! Suggest getting rid of more chiefs as there's clearly to many of them and not enough Indians.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Wednesday January 6 2016 at 21:34
"Please Sir can I have some more?"

ABSOLUTELY NO CHANCE!

Its about time those at the top tiers took SUBSTANTIAL pay CUTS if they want "any more"!

We already pay ENOUGH Council Tax to BMBC but yet the squander it at EVERY opportunity!

Reply Posted by mcmp59 on Thursday January 7 2016 at 20:25
In reply to Ed - so police officers should go back to the station, take off all their uniform before going to a cash machine in order to get some money for a sandwich. All that time they are then not available for responding. Heaven forbid they have the audacity to contemplate eating whilst working. What is this world coming to?

Reply Posted by Ed on Thursday January 7 2016 at 22:23
I worked mate I had to take my lunch with me and sometimes eat on the job then get my money from the cash machine after work I also served the puplic that's when I saw police and ambulance miss using their positions why should I pay extra on my council tax I pay full and that enough so get off your high horse and take your sandwiches to work with you

Reply Posted by mrs k on Wednesday January 20 2016 at 21:33
Yes 10p is definitely worth it so long as the council does get strict with the council tax Dodgers who font pay anything.

Reply Posted by paul on Friday January 22 2016 at 23:01
Out of a single dwellings council tax bill of a £1000 bmbc get around £800, and the measley pitance thats left is fought over by the other authorities. If that £1000 is shared equally by all authorities then there should be no need to raid taxpayers again, but seeing BMBC are as greedy as they come i can't see that happening. You may find if you look closely that bmbc aswell as other councils make millions millions that you and i aren't suppose to know about. As sly as they come are BMBC

Reply Posted by Terry Fletcher on Tuesday February 16 2016 at 19:47
The police are only there to protect the rich, so if there is to any money raised to increase policing they should be made to pay.