Tea party volunteers needed for lonely locals

Thursday December 3 2015

care home elderly care home elderly

VOLUNTEERS are needed to step up and organise tea parties for lonely pensioners.

Contact the Elderly has issued an urgent appeal for volunteers to spare just a few hours twice a year to host a local tea party.

The charity, celebrating its 50th anniversary this year, aims to relieve the loneliness of isolated older people aged 75 and over, by running monthly tea parties.

The charity’s existing group in Barnsley is full, and the hope is to get enough volunteer hosts to open a second group.

The charity’s local spokeswoman Angela Handforth said: “The simple volunteering structure means you can be involved as much or as little as possible.

“Anyone who can spare a couple of hours, twice a year to host a tea party, are welcome to sign up. It’s not a big commitment, and our volunteers genuinely get as much out of the experience as our older guests.”

Call Angela on 0114 230 2343 for more information or to volunteer.

Reply Posted by lanny81 on Thursday December 3 2015 at 10:54
I think this is a really lovely idea as there are far too many elderly people on their own. It upsets me when I think of older people being alone especially at this time of year. A friend of mine who works in a DIY shop told me there's a lady of about 80 who comes in every year on christmas eve and buys wallpaper. She then spends the festive season decorating as she has no family and nobody to spend Christmas with. She's done this for the past 5 or so years. She doesnt even have a Christmas dinner.It really tugged on my heart strings :(

Reply Posted by Susannah McCormick on Saturday December 5 2015 at 19:45
I am an activity co-ordinator in a care home , I am more than happy to host a coffee morning / mornings to help entertain some guests with my residents if that's any help

Reply Posted by Lynn jagger on Saturday December 5 2015 at 20:37
Would love to help I work in the community as a carer x

Reply Posted by Cara Caswell on Saturday December 5 2015 at 21:17
I would love to volunteer to help, I don't have enough room to host a tea party but would love to help out at one!

Reply Posted by melissa brayson on Saturday December 5 2015 at 21:47
I would love to help in anyway I can even if its just to sit and listen it would be a pleasure

Reply Posted by Emma Hague on Sunday December 6 2015 at 07:26
I would love to volunteer in any way i can!

Reply Posted by Rebecca jones on Sunday December 6 2015 at 08:39
Would love to try and help out somehow

Reply Posted by Susan Howell on Sunday December 6 2015 at 10:56
Would like to help any way that i can

Reply Posted by marc on Sunday December 6 2015 at 12:05
i would love to help in any way i can but i havent the room.to hold a tea party but need any help let me know

Reply Posted by Layla on Sunday December 6 2015 at 12:46
I would like to volunteer. Please contact me.

07860879429