Upload a photo Upload a video Upload an mp3 Upload an event


Tributes Flood In For Dad Killed In House Fire

Friday June 1 2012

Lester Ball 2 Lester Ball 2

TRIBUTES have flooded in for a father-of-two who was killed in a house fire.

Lester Ball died last week after a fire at his bungalow on Treelands, Gawber and would regularly help out at the Tommy Treddlehoyle in Pogmoor.

The 53-year-old succumbed to the fire, thought to be caused by an electrical fault in his fridge, despite the efforts by fire-fighters and paramedics to save him.

Barmaid Mary Robertson said Lester, who had been a regular for about 20 years, would 'do anything for anyone.'

"We all loved him, everybody is just devastated," she said. "He loved this pub and wanted to do anything he could for you. He was that kind of person.

"This sort of thing shouldn't happen to anyone, it's tragic. The atmosphere in the pub has been very sombre since it happened.

"I don't know what we are going to do without him. He was just a lovely lad. He will be very much missed."

Fire crews from Barnsley and Cudworth were called to his home at about 4am on Monday after neighbours spotted smoke coming from the windows and heard glass shattering in the heat.

Leave a comment
comments powered by Disqus
8 Showing 8 comments

Reply Posted by Haley123 on Friday June 1 2012 at 21:08
R.I.P Richard thoughts are with your family and friend. You was a good team leader and a nice person to know. Glad i got to meet you and i still cant believe you've gone to sleep, night god bless xxx

Reply Posted by Teresa-cheryl on Saturday June 2 2012 at 06:18
Were all still in shock, thoughts go out to all your family and friends R.I.P Richard sleep tight you will be missed by everyone xx

Reply Posted by Jenni Frost on Saturday June 2 2012 at 19:48
my condolences to his family. Richard will be sadly missed at work, especially his smiling face.  Such a shock and a tragedy. 

Reply Posted by Nadine_beverley on Monday June 4 2012 at 15:58
Rip richard u wa a gd team leader not gunna be same at work without u sleep tight xx

Reply Posted by Katie on Monday June 4 2012 at 17:56

I'm genuinely absolutely mortified..it was a pleasure to know and work with you. You really were one of a kind. Thankyou for everything that you've done for me, you'll never know how much I appreciate everything you've done.


Its always a pleasure and never a grumble.


Reply Posted by Bluedolphin1535 on Tuesday June 12 2012 at 20:33
Richard I can't believe your not with us anymore, 

I offer my deepest condolences to your family and friends

all your team are still in shock to have lost you so suddenly.

but don't worry we are all sticking together and keeping your memory alive.

sleep well, you will always be in our thoughts and prays.

love michaela x x x 

Reply Posted by George Davies on Monday February 17 2014 at 22:14
If only people new

Reply Posted by Trisha couch on Tuesday April 12 2016 at 16:26
Have just seen this
Shocking news
So sad
He was a lovely guy