Budget worries put Northern College at risk

Friday November 6 2015

northern College northern College

BUDGET pressures have put the future of Northern College at risk as it faces a reduction in cash of 40 per cent due to government cuts.

Vice principal Jayne Hawley said: “We will definitely have a cut of some sort as we have done over the previous few years but the problem is the magnitude of the cuts. It’s giving us serious cause for concern.

“It’s difficult to foresee the college being able to sustain its provision if it was to experience a cut of 40 per cent.”

She said the college has joined a campaign with other adult learning organisations to raise awareness of the importance of adult learning and the potential impacts of those cuts.

Reply Posted by Terence Fletcher on Tuesday November 10 2015 at 10:18
Further education establishments like Northern College need to be preserved and protected. Most people in Barnsley have probably no idea the kind of services that are available at Northern. But ask any of the thousands of us who have have experienced the life changing positivity that attending this college can bring and you'ld soon begin to realise it's too valuable an asset to lose.

Reply Posted by Suzie on Tuesday November 10 2015 at 14:22
Too true, well said. Education should be available when you are ready for it and cutting funding for adults at such an impressive and successful establishment offends the Education for all policy that governments try to push??!!!

Reply Posted by Samantha-louise Lannen on Tuesday November 10 2015 at 17:53
I can't believe what I just read. Northern college is one of only two places like this in Britain so I'm told and therefore find it unreal that they are even thinking of cutting funding to this incredible place. I am currently on my journey towards university to read psychology and I absolutely know it would not be possible if not for this amazing and inspiring facility of adult education. There should be more establishments like this and in no way should there be cuts to funding for here. I know there are many others like me here who are so grateful for the opportunities that Northern college makes possible and to reduce these would be a crying shame. Anything in my power I can do to help I absolutely will as I cannot stress enough how important this place is .

Reply Posted by Julie Darrington on Tuesday November 10 2015 at 19:57
Such a shame. I have so much respect for the college. It allowed me to achieve and succeed, to gain a degree and to gain employment. I have so many fond memories of the college but especially the staff who gave you the opportunity no other establishment ever had.

Reply Posted by Diane Ince on Tuesday November 10 2015 at 20:54
Northern college transforms many people lives.The education is outstanding most students go onto university's which greatly benefits society as a whole.

Reply Posted by Lyndsay Cooper on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 11:21
Adult education is vital to a prosperous society and Northern College, like other adult education providers, transforms lives!! No to unsustainable cuts!!

Reply Posted by David Sables on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 12:18
Northern College is a shining light in the darkness, it has guided thousands of people to a better life through education. It must be protected and cherished. It is a sad indictment that people who come from privileged people who in the main were private educated can design funding cuts that threaten a fantastic educational institutions like Northern College

Reply Posted by Michelle Clegg on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 13:04
One of the best colleges I have ever been to. Despite what issues your dealing with, you get treat equal with respect and gratitude. This college as helped me and others in all different kind of journeys in life. Every member of staff up their deserve credit for their way of teaching. It's amazing. It would be a absolute loss if this happened.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 13:04
It's a shame about college. It's a beautiful place to learn. I'm currently at northern college studying my diploma and I wouldn't have achieved so much without this place. I shared my story which was in chronical last week and honestly best place I've ever studied at.

Reply Posted by Jane Weatherby on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 14:09
The government claims to want to reduce 'welfare dependency'. If so, it makes no sense to slash Northern College's funding. Thousands of people have transformed their own lives, and their communities, through studying here. It would be a tragedy, not just for Barnsley, but for the whole country if we lost this unique institution.

Reply Posted by Tina Bell on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 18:21
Hi Jane, I can't agree with you more and pleased to hear you are still there. I am only where I am today because of Northern College and I remember way back in 2007 being as angry about cuts that the college would be experiencing back then. Unfortunately other colleges are also facing cuts too. The government so have this wrong! I went on to do my degree, to get 2 awards for outstanding contribution and am now a teacher in FE, none of which would have been possible without my starting point of such a wonderful unique college that is Northern College. And to refer to how I saw NC back then, the place is sprinkled with fairy dust, because it really does transform lives.

Reply Posted by Tracey Walton on Wednesday November 11 2015 at 22:10
The Government needs to re- assess these cuts to Northern College. Awareness of how much good this college does, for average working class people, needs to be top priority. Not everyone has the opportunity to have even a remote chance of further education. For many adults, this college gives a second chance at education, self esteem and for most: a future. I am a mother to four children and after attending Northern College I am now privileged enough to be studying my second year at Huddersfield Universary thanks to this wonderful College and it supporting staff and tutors.

Reply Posted by Adele lacy on Thursday November 12 2015 at 08:02
What a good idea the government have, cut tax credits etc, make the poor poorer and then take away the organisations that can give them a chance of getting out of poverty! There obvious mission is to keep the poor in poverty and bring back the major class divide. Well done Cameron.

Reply Posted by Emil Duncan Brown on Thursday November 12 2015 at 10:51
Once again Govmt plans to shoot itself in the foot! I've been at NC myself and I would not be where I am today without the support I had from NC. It's a great place to learn and a unique experience to have. It will always be there in my heart!!

Reply Posted by Carol Roberts on Thursday November 12 2015 at 16:27
Northern college changes lives for the better and saves the government ore money in the long term by getting adults back into work... DONT CUT IT!

Reply Posted by Michelle Gannon on Friday November 13 2015 at 07:18
This is just not right. This college gave me a foothold into further education and later secured me the job of my dreams. The transformation in my personal circumstances because of the quality of the education that I revived back in 2008 had been phenomenal. I cannot thank the establishment enough. No Cuts!! Ordinary people have the right to good quality education and the chance to go in to Higher Education so leave Northern college alone Mr Cameron.

Reply Posted by Chrissy on Friday November 13 2015 at 22:01
Northern collage is the best. At 29 years old, a single parent,
, without any gcse's i could only work part time and was relient on benefits. Then i was told about Northern collage. It was the best thing that ever happened to me, i not only got the qualifacations i needed, but i gain confidence and self belief. Without Northern collage, I would never have been able to to university and become a qualified nurse. I now work full time, claim no benefits from the government and pay a hefty tax, which is supposed to help improve the lives of Britians citizens. Cutting funding to Northern collage is disgraceful.

Reply Posted by Sharob on Thursday November 19 2015 at 00:00
I have been coming to northern collage a lot to do courses and I have achieved a lot of goals at the collage it has help me to get my confidence and self as steam back i feel like a person again as I have mental health issues it is unfair that the collage is to have cut backs on courses because the student need the courses to learn and it helps people to mix how find it hard to mix with other people . At northern collage they can stay there if they live far away from the home town. I feel well come and safe at northern collage .At the other collages i went to I did not feel safe its a lovely collage and would be a shame if you cut back on courses so please don't because there no other collage I won't to go to .The staff help student how don't have confidence and there is supporting staff to help students like me to get on in world how find it hard to do so .Mr Cameron please leave northern collage alone we don't won't cut back at northern collage because the student that go there need the collage to learn and hopefully find a job afterwards or go universatey .

Reply Posted by claure taylor on Tuesday January 10 2017 at 12:41
Well I like the college really I do , I done a lot of course, but the staff really nice but last year I felt like I was push out, I no I done a lorlt of course, which as help, but some staff be a bit bad to me , say I can't go back to college any more, I am just need support and help please I like to mlcome back, but I don't no who to ask any , iam good person OK ,

Reply Posted by claire taylor on Tuesday January 10 2017 at 12:43
I do love to see college again but I was hoping to try do a course on my birthday on 19 February so can there help love