New name for Barnsley shopping street

Monday November 2 2015

Roger Foulstone of Tom Foulstone’s in the arcade. Roger Foulstone of Tom Foulstone’s in the arcade.

BARNSLEY'S shopping arcade has been given a new name in a bid to attract new shoppers.

The Arcade in Barnsley town centre has changed its name to the Victorian Arcade.

The re-brand is part of marketing campaign launched by the 36 independent shops that trade there.

Roger Foulstone, whose grandfather Tom set up Tom Foulstone’s menswear shop in 1929, said: “This is the first time since I have been here that something looks like it is actually going to happen. Up until now it has been the forgotten street in Barnsley, which is a real shame as it has such character.”

Reply Posted by Jack on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 12:42
Professional people like myself avoid Barnsley town centre at all costs and will continue to until major improvements are made in term of it's safety. Even through the day it feels uneasy and at night assaults and muggings are commonly heard to have occurred.

Reply Posted by Sarah on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 14:15
Agree jack, i was driving through town yesterday afternoon and i had to stop because a gang of lads were fighting, one main trouble causer decided to turn to my car and start calling it names, why are the parents allowed to breed!! I would love to go into town and shop in this arcade but i wont take my children into a town that does little to discourage this behaviour, Doncaster is a better place for us,even if the parking costs a kidney.

Reply Posted by Ada on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 16:39
I agree entirely withe th above comments. My husband went to the Yorkshire bank at 3pm yesterday and as usual the drunks were off their heads,swearing and fighting in Peel Square. Where are the police? Absent as per. I go into town when I must, do what I have to do and come home. We are over run with foreigners!! We feel like aliens in our own town. Look in the chronicle and the majority of offenders are from some other country and unemployed. Barnsley is going to the dogs! New shops and markets are not making it safer to visit. It's lost it's soul.

Reply Posted by Hmm on Thursday November 5 2015 at 12:44
We aren't over run with foreigners at all you xenophobe. And for the record the drunks and druggies in and around peel square were there long long before Barnsley saw any kind of migrant activity.

P's the majority of offenders in Barnsley are not from other countries but that's OK, you keep being scared of anything and anyone different to you...

Reply Posted by Milly on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 17:51
Sounds lovely, but is there really any need to change it.?
It will be known as ' the old arcade' like it is now ....and to strangers coming to Barnsley to shop well all I can say is that they have come to win a bet.
We have no shops.

Reply Posted by TR on Wednesday November 4 2015 at 07:52
I agree only the other day I had someone asking me where Mcdonalds was (they hadn't been to Barnsley since it shut at where the Halifax Bank is now), thus people are not coming in on a regular basis.

Reply Posted by Gavlar on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 18:48
Those new paths look nice now. All covered in chewing gum and grime.

Waiting 30 year for improvements

Vote labour.

Reply Posted by Heleana on Wednesday November 4 2015 at 07:51
I can't honestly see a name change, is going to attract the 'thousands' that Barnsley council seem to think it will do. I mean what's in a name? It is the quality of the shops and the area that is going to attract. Yet again another 'rip roaring success' from the annals of Barnsley Town Hall.

Reply Posted by Mr Reality Check on Wednesday November 4 2015 at 12:51
They can spend >£40million "improving" the built environment, but when you take a sewer rat and put it in a cage, its still a rat.
There will still be drug addicts, drunks, and people who think having a long distance conversation without the aid of phone is acceptable.
I don't take my kids in to the town centre, you cannot walk from one end of the town to the other without hearing the F-word, people spitting or having to walk through a wall of smoke to get into any of the remaining shops. The overall layout of the town doesn't support the cosmo lifestyle which is now expected by professionals who lunch. I find it very difficult to nip in to town because i don't always carry change and you cannot easily get cash/get it changed to park. The developments will make the town yet another "vanilla highstreet",
If we do go out as a family we go to Sheffield or Leeds. If I take my wife out for dinner, we go to sheffield or leeds why? because they have police present, it feels safer, its well kept and they have a better range of shops.

Reply Posted by concerned on Wednesday November 4 2015 at 19:21
Barnsley is not the place it used to be there are too many drunks and drugged up idiots at all times of the day I dont feel safe anymore and it's my home town sad really

Reply Posted by Gavlar on Thursday November 5 2015 at 17:18
I think we should call it what it resembles like the used to in old times.

"Dirty downtrodden hovel" has a nice ring to it.

Keep voting liebour.

Reply Posted by B FRANK on Thursday November 5 2015 at 17:26
Tbh anything Barnsley council do people will slate them ... as for comparing a small market town to a large city such as sheffield or leeds is a poor comprison. Im sure there are drug addicts and drunks in every town centre (and chewing gum)... maybe if you compared it to other small market towns such as Rotherham you wuld see similarities . So I welcome any improvements Barnsley council try to offer..

Reply Posted by Sara on Friday November 6 2015 at 06:13
So many sad & negative comments!

Reply Posted by Sara on Friday November 6 2015 at 06:22
The Arcade, now The Victorian Arcade, has 30 independent shops with more opening & is is being helped by the council, The Marketing Hub & all businesses, who have banded together to organise events through the year (starting with our Victorian Craft Fair on Saturday 5th December). We will also have some new fabulous signage & decoration. Barnsley people are proud people & are helping the town thrive again!
#LoveTheVictorianArcade #BarnsleyisBrill