Volunteers sign up for festive homeless project

Friday October 30 2015

homeless homeless

VOLUNTEERS have signed up to serve a Christmas dinner to around 40 homeless locals.

Barnsley Churches Drop-in Project opens three times a week to serve hot meals to the homess and hand out sleeping bags and clothes.

Chairman Kate Raynor says they are already collecting socks, hats, gloves and deoderant to give out at Christmas. She added: "Such simple things can have a huge impact on a person who has very little.”

For the last few years BCDP has cooked a roast dinner on Christmas day, with around 40 people attending.

She said: "We are fully subscribed for volunteers on Christmas Day however we would welcome help on other days around Christmas, or longer term volunteers."

Contact bcdp@live.co.uk or 01226 321877.

Reply Posted by Sue on Friday October 30 2015 at 12:22
It is sickening to think that houses and benefits are given to migrants coming over from Europe yet we have British people over here living on the streets.

Reply Posted by beth on Sunday November 1 2015 at 11:24
its not the migrants fault there in the postion they are in well not all same as british some just dont want work so they put themself in that postion dont keep blaming migrants

Reply Posted by darren on Sunday November 1 2015 at 17:04
Beth
You say don't blame the imigrants
Are you having a laugh
They know what there doing when they come to uk
Free housing
Free food
Free schooling
All paid by taxpayers
If you love the imigrants that much
Go and live with them
I've worked from leaving school never claimed social
My wife recently lost her job and we couldn't claim a thing
The Imigrants are raking it in from the British taxpayer and the reason why people in UK don't want to work is that the benefit system is aimed to help the people that don't work and if you do work your worse off
So no indenture which means foreigners come In and take all our housing and jobs
We need to look after our own not the foreign imigrants
Send them back that's what I say

Reply Posted by Lola on Monday November 2 2015 at 17:17
I Feel for you and think that if more people want to work and pay into the system, all to the good. I just don't like idle people choose where they are from, the ones who think the world owes them a living, makes me sick:(

Reply Posted by Sharon on Monday November 2 2015 at 20:31
Please keep my details and once im recovered from my operation i could help a few hours if needed x

Reply Posted by Mavis Clarke on Monday November 2 2015 at 21:42
I think some people on here do not realise what the migrants are escaping from!!! Do not judge these people when you do not know the full story, as for all the benefits that are talked about is not correct, yes they receive some but would you rather them starve? Please have some compassion they are human beings like the rest of us!

Reply Posted by Mavis Clarke on Monday November 2 2015 at 21:46
Correction to my last comment, refugees not migrants

Reply Posted by Carol burkinshaw on Monday November 2 2015 at 23:43
I would love to volunteer to work with the homeless, worked as a mental health nurse recently retired. I work 2 days per week so could volunteer another day .

Reply Posted by Katy Hayward on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 08:42
I'm quite new to Barnsley, however, hate to see anything like this wherever I am... More than happy to help and volunteer some hours, Please contact me to arrange this!

Reply Posted by Amanda on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 10:12
Miss leading, probably 95% are drug users or claiming benefits,,, who use this drop in, many just know where to get a free meal , then you see them smoking or drugged up outside' I am all for helping vulnerable people , but I wonder if this charity would wish to clarify how many people are actually homeless , and how many use it as a free cafe

Reply Posted by Terri cooling on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 11:11
I am looking to volunteer as and when needed.

Reply Posted by BCDP Coordinator on Tuesday November 3 2015 at 19:18
If anyone would like to Volunteer pm me a contact no or email address and I will happily provide more info smile emoticon

Reply Posted by shannon morley on Wednesday November 4 2015 at 23:58
I would really enjoy giving someone less fortunate a nice Christmas a hot meal n a warm coat to make their life easiest as possible.

Reply Posted by Wendy on Sunday October 9 2016 at 17:17
How do I become a volunteer?

Reply Posted by Mr r Midgley on Monday December 12 2016 at 22:42
I would like to volunteer help one day night next week, I'm just trying to do my bit, I break up from my school job on Friday. Regards mr r Midgley.