New dress code to be implemented at town centre venues

Thursday October 15 2015

A NEW dress code will be in place this weekend for revellers going into some town centre pubs and bars after 7pm.

The dress code states no hats or baseball caps, no sports hoodies, no tracksuits or tracksuit bottoms, no sport shorts, no sport shirts (with exceptions of sporting events).

It will be implemented Friday to Sunday from 7pm, starting this weekend.

John Asquith, who is the owner of Opium-No10, said the plans were agreed at a recent pub watch meeting to try and attract a wider audience.

He said: "It will be down to the bar owner's discretion.

"At my bar a lot of customers wear trilbies, flat caps and even one bloke a bowler hat.

"If I asked them all to stop wearing hats I would not only lose trade but lose our identity as a indie bar."

Reply Posted by joe on Thursday October 15 2015 at 15:55
This is the most ridiculous idea I have ever heard. Do you really think this will happen, you can't stop anyone wearing what they want, when they want.. But goooood luck.

Reply Posted by cl on Thursday October 15 2015 at 15:58
A few nice bars would attract a wider audience, instead of the loutish pubs. Living a stones throw from the town centre we now have a drink around the nicer bars around the town hall and then it's onto Leeds. The Leeds to Barnsley train on a Saturday night is usually rammed with revellers who would normally be drinking in Barnsley if they had more bars. Nothing to do with the recession, people are spending their money in Leeds and Sheffield. The nightlife in Barnsley is getting worse, year on year, Wellington Street should have been pedestrianised years ago with outdoor seating like Merrion Street in Leeds.

Reply Posted by Steven James on Thursday October 15 2015 at 18:35
I wholeheartedly concur with that sentiment cl.

Reply Posted by The Talented Mr C on Tuesday October 27 2015 at 23:10
I wholefartedly think its a stupid way of thinking

Reply Posted by lmao on Thursday October 15 2015 at 19:53
They're banning chavs ahahah

Reply Posted by Jodie on Thursday October 15 2015 at 20:20
Might start attracting a different clientele

Reply Posted by Rog on Friday October 16 2015 at 06:59
The chavs will have to go naked now, you have just banned everything in their wardrobes....

Reply Posted by bazza on Friday October 16 2015 at 08:06
Tarn is full of wannabe gangsters who think the Sumet the not . The Go round in the big gangs hurting people like 10 on 1 wearing the ****** EA7 & money t-shirts with the fake tan on . They r the ones who want banning cos banning people who wear a baseball cap & so on isn't going to change nothing rdley

Reply Posted by Pob on Friday October 16 2015 at 08:27
@cl - bang on.

Everyone I speak to/know is doing exactly that. I'm off to Sheffield tonight.

Reply Posted by Alex on Friday October 16 2015 at 11:45
I don't see what the harm is on wearing a snapback or a beanie. It's a style, not a weapon. But whatever, I guess comfort doesn't matter these days.

Reply Posted by Mr Wood on Sunday October 18 2015 at 15:21
A monkey in a suit is still a monkey.

Reply Posted by christopher appleyard on Monday October 19 2015 at 18:08
Well what are we suppose to wear then

Reply Posted by . on Tuesday October 20 2015 at 08:38
Normal clothes.

Reply Posted by Sophie on Tuesday October 20 2015 at 07:54
I welcome the plans as Barnsley is in dire need of a change. Still doesn't stop people getting mugged on the way home by gangs of migrants, more CCTV is needed urgently

Reply Posted by Cal on Tuesday October 20 2015 at 12:25
Stupid idea, I’m been to Vegas, New York and in there top nightspots, people wear hats, sports hoodies

Now there is a difference between chav wear and trendy street wear.

It’s ridiculous to say what you can and can’t wear. I was asked to take off my Dolce and Gobana hoody once in whatever bar it was or tuck the hood in….. Why??? No thanks, I’ll take my money elsewhere.

While at the same point I wore the same one in the top places in New York not long ago.

Absolutely ridiculous….. No sport shoes. It’s a crummy bar in town. I’ll stick to Leeds thank you, where funnily enough you can get in places in a fashionable hoody and trainers.

Even in London you see people with a hat on, in most places. No wonder town is dead most Fridays I go out with this attitude.

Often on a Saturday I go for a pre match drink in town. Get up put a hat on and go, most places say can you take the hat off. Your then left with the choice of a mini messy afro looking an idiot or taking your money elsewhere, easy choice.

Reply Posted by The Talented Mr C on Tuesday October 27 2015 at 23:20
They don't deserve a customer with silly narrow minded attitudes like that why does it matter what they are wearing as long as they are behaving in a decent manner and spending money of course

Reply Posted by Me, here, now on Wednesday October 21 2015 at 08:18
Personally I don`t care what people wear when they`re out. If they want to dress like chavs that`s entirely up to them, they have the perogative to spend their money wherever they like.
If i`m going out my choice is to take some pride in my appearance and dress smartly - horses for courses.

Reply Posted by John on Wednesday October 21 2015 at 12:10
Great idea. If they extended this to the whole of the town centre for the whole day it would make it a much nicer place to walk through of an afternoon!

Reply Posted by Robdought on Thursday October 22 2015 at 12:45
You can't polish a turd

Reply Posted by The Talented Mr C on Tuesday October 27 2015 at 23:13
Ridiculous What next no drinking no smoking no dancing no having fun

Reply Posted by Daniel Johnson on Wednesday October 28 2015 at 10:47
No, just no trouble causers.

If you want to go out adhere to the dress code, it isn't hard.

ipso Regulated